Pistons Misfits?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 15, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We often hear about the Pistons cast offs (Ben, Chauncey etc)... however
    Chauncey Billups was the third player selected in the 1997 draft by Boston; Richard Hamilton, was the seventh overall pick in the 1999 draft by Washington; starting power forward Rasheed Wallace was the fourth overall pick in the 1995 draft by Washington; Lindsey Hunter was taken 10th overall by Detroit in 1993 and Antonio McDyess was the second overall selection in the 1995 draft, taken by the L.A. Clippers. Then there's DMC...In other words, five of the Pistons top seven players (minutes) were lottery picks.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't think we're only talking about draft pick numbers. Chauncey got blown off by 7 teams in 7 seasons before he came here, Michael Jordan didn't want Rip on his team ( that would really suck), Mcdyess had do overcome carrer ending injuries, Sheed was called a "cancer" to the Portland team even though he was the only good thing going for that franchise, and Tay might not have problems in the NBA yet, but he had to grow up in Compton still.

3. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Tay's got the biggest chip on his shoulder of them all

from mlive coverage of the 2004 championship parade

"That's where Tayshaun Prince thanked everyone, but most of all, 'I'd like to thank the other 22 teams who had a chance to draft me and didn't do it,' said the second-year player out of Kentucky, whose defense frustrated Kobe Bryant in the NBA Finals. Ah, championship is the best revenge."

ya think that influenced his choice of number?

if so, more evidence of a chip so big it's like having a buddy sitting there on your shoulder.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From a talent perspective (lotto picks) we shouldn't be all that surprised at the results...
    Could be part of the reason Chauncey has always been there for Darko... he would pick Darko up for practices and made him feel like he was family.

C.B. can certainly relate to late bloomers.

5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Just goes to show that the right atmosphere and that someone believing in you will do for your confidence.I honestly believe if they wouldn't have been brought to Detroit by Joe that they prolly wouldn't be as accomplished as they are now.

Not that they were total scrubs with no talent but maybe besides Sheed being an established force all they needed was someone to believe.Thier is hope for Darko here hopefully with LB gone the team pulls him through.

6. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

misfits no more

misfits not realy our scrubs maybe but ben rip cb and sheed will have jobs in the nba for a long time. the right place at the right time. you got to admitt that part of it is the fans to we embrace our players sheed got love from day one and the rest of the guys earned it but its hard to be a misfit when an entire city loves you. the jailblazers maybe back in its heyday but they were not proud of it . nobody pulls it off like the raiders man they embace the fact, romo proud to be a crazy mofo and the raiders snagged him from denver moss he fits right in. no we are not a team of misfits but if it makes the guys feel better that they didnt get respect till now then im cool with it.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D. for president

I love Joe D.'s idea of building a team. No superstars, all guys with chips on their shoulders. Guys that teams have either passed up on or given up on.

That's an inexpensive way to build a team that really has something to prove. Joe passes up on the "big name" signings that would get the fans instantly excited - which would be the easiest path to choose. Instead, he chooses guys that might sometimes leave us fans going :doh: ,:frusty: , :mad2: ,:loco: ,:eek: ,:Cry: ,:fear: or :crazy: initally.

Joe chooses the "cast offs", "has beens" and "never will bes" and while the rest of the league is overpaying these "stars" (and then dumping them for tens of millions of dollars to save even more tens of millions of dollars in the future), the Pistons are going to Finals, winning championships and slowly building a dynasty.

The best part of all of it, is that the Pistons STILL don't get any respect. Teams still think that loading up with egos and all-stars is the way to win. Even after dismantling the Lakers, Heat, Pacers, etc. and coming within a few minutes of repeating, the Pistons are still considered a fluke.

I for one can't wait to see how this season plays out.

8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

respect

its frustrates me too, but then I also love that part. cos it is soooo much more satisfying when we do beat the miami heats of the world. to see the so-called experts and opposing players fall flat on their face without an answer... it doesn't get much better than that.

and to meet another piston fan, you know you are really talking to fan, not some bandwagoner...

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Right now I'm not that happy about other people calling the Pistons crap, but I know i'm going to love it in the future. Why? If you haven't noticed the Pistons tend to do better when they get disrespected so actually Miami, Indy I thank you.
    Seriously though how can they call us crap when out of the 4 best teams (Miami, Indiana, San Antonio, and Detroit) we won a championship (something our little Eastern Confrence buddies have a hard time doing), and we defended our trophy a lot better than the Spurs who couldn't get past those Lakers, the team that was lucky they didn't get sweeped.

10. max

max All-Star

Castoffs

That term did apply to the 2001-02 Pistons with Barry, Corliss, Ben Wallace, Cliff ( team traded him because of his marijuana bust ), Jones ( undrafted - cut by Houston in the pre-season ).

And it just kind of stuck.

If you look at the current Pistons. Castoff may be affixed to Billups given his checkered start but in 2002 he was a highlty shought after FA who the Pistons were lucky to sign. Several teams expressed interest so I don't know how you can call him a castoff.

Even though the Pistons had the best starters from 1-5 last season they still did not get much respect like Himan pointed out. I think thats due to lacking a Scoring Superstar who could drain 50 points in a single game.

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Even if the Pistons did have a superstar we would still not get credit. No one likes Detroit. Ever since the Jordan Rules was created it seems like the Pistons can't get any respect because nobody likes our rough rugged hard working playing style. The league :mad: wants to see scoring and flashy dunks and scores in the 120's. They don't like seeing Detroit holding teams under 70 points or shuting down teams for a whole quarter.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That is the difference between the NBA and the NFL. The NFL will take a hard nosed, nobody team with a grumpy coach like NE and make them poster boys for the league ALONG with the flashy squads like Indianapolis.

The NBA has gotten away with star power and uncreative marketing for so long, I think they have forgotten that a team sport should market it's best teams like Detroit and San Antonio.

It scares me because Stern wants to market overseas and that may lead to a more European style down the road. Less defense and more up and down the court. I for one enjoy strong defense in any sport. It adds tension and drama.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

If the Pistons continue to be really sucessful over the next couple of years, I wonder if other teams in the league will start to adopt Dumar's philosophy of building with "team" players?

If so, that would really tick off Stern, I guess. (btw, lol @ that Stern Avatar...he looks so silly and I was thinking its too bad you can't assign avatars to people because I know someone it would fit perfectly).:laugh:

14. max

max All-Star

Marketting

Microwaves has a good point on Marketting. Last Finals had a low rating. But that was one of the worst advertising jobs that I have ever seen. From the league hardly any advertising and from the sports Gurus all we heard was how boring it would be.

What kind of an advertising canpaign is that? Don't watch it because it will be boring. Shaq is not in it.

Seems like that series never got a chance for a high rating.

15. jammertime

At the time the Pistons signed him, CB had played for 4 teams in his 5 year career. Maybe Nomad is a better word to use, but either way, its obvious that he hadn't been able to find a home until he came to Detroit.

I'm sure there are a lot of teams with players that have a chip on their shoulder, but it seems like the Pistons have more than average.

Big Ben, Arroyo, Darvin Ham, Dupree and Maurice Evans were all undrafted, Tashaun was overlooked by 22 other teams, Rip was unwanted by MJ, Sheed has been misunderstod everywhere he went, Dice had been left for dead and DMC has been a punch line since he was drafted.

16. max

max All-Star

castoffs

Billups did suffer an early injury in his career which slowed his progress. In 2002 he was one of the most sought after FA's. To me thats not a castoff. Several teams wanted Sheed. NJ tried to block the Sheed trade. Lot of work for a castoff.

Pistons traded their leading scorer Stack for Rip. Rip had a great year in Wash and his coach Collins loved him - castoff?

Ben Wallace was a late bloomer and his previous team Orlando wanted him but did not have the cap space. If you call Ben a castoff in the summer of 01 then I guess the same label would apply to Okur in 04.

Ham is not a castoff just a career bench player. Dupree had a decent season with Chicago. Min contract guy trying to make a team. If thats a castoff then their are dozens every year.

Tay was drafted #23. Is that a castoff considering the youth craze plaguing the 03 draft?

17. jammertime

Max

I was just really talking about guys that might have something to prove when talking about the rest of the Pistons roster, not so much castoffs.

Granted that 22nd overall is still relatively high, but Prince's own comments confirm that he felt he had something to prove (a chip on his shoulder). That's really all I was saying.

18. max

max All-Star

Point Taken

But don't all rookies have something to prove? Don't all players? Take Miami. A lot of "experts" are saying they cannot win with Williams and Walker.

19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

good points.

Truthfully, anyone can build a case for the "the league has written me off" mentality that serves as instant motivation for an aspiring all-star. I think what makes the Pistons's players unique is that they are a collection of players that have seemingly fell below the radar on countless occasions, but their arrival to Detroit has brought out the best of their ability.

I think most of the "underdogness" that surrounds Tay is surrounded by the Pistons decision to go with Darko verso Melo in the draft. That and the question of how well Tay could compete physically with the NBA because of his frail frame at the time. Billups has been moved everywhere which conotes to many that his game did not fit well for any NBA team aspiring for a championship. Sheed was perceived by the media as team cancer (although players said otherwise). Ben was undrafted and a throw in for a trade that was pretty much made to insure that the Pistons wouldn't be left with nothing after Hill's departure (A gift from Hill who was an unrestricted free agent).

The only person I think that does not fit this bill is Richard Hamilton. I think most people saw his potential although the trade at the time was considered to be a "downgrade" by some as Stackhouse just finished an all-star season.

I can still hear Charles Barkley talking about the Pistons team early on and how they really did not have any real talent. Hell, honestly, he didnt really start singing a different tune until we had Sheed. I truely do believe that what the Pistons have assembled is truely remarkable as this is not a case of surrounding great support players with an All-star and watching their stock increase based on the featured players's ability to improve their teamates. This collection of "misfits" collectively had to bring their games to another level to win. This makes us unique...and makes me proud to call myself a Detroit Pistons fan for life.

20. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

No respect at all

I cannot stand the lack of respect and the constant talk of us being a fluke and a one hit wonder. All of the teams that were the so-called teams to beat we have beaten for the exception of the Spurs who everyone called invincible. We all now know that they are very much vulnerable at the fact that we embarrassed them on our floor twice and had a chance to make history by winning a game 7 on theirs. All of those haters and that's exactly what they are, are just jealous of our quick success. Joe D is a genius and Detroit is still in its infancy in terms of becoming a true dynasty.