Pistons Negotiated as a Team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 6, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

ESPN.com - NBA/TRAININGCAMP06 - Sheridan: Ben Ben flips the script on Saunders

Incredible article. Very interesting to read.

Of course Chris McCoskey plays apologist as usual in his blog that is not a blog (if it doesn't look like a blog, or act like a blog...)

DETNEWS | Weblog | Pistons

and here is the Daily Herald article McCoskey quotes and references without link attribution (a blog no-no is not paying it forward...)

Daily Herald | Chicago Bulls Notes

2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I can hardly wait to see Ben and his new coach working together. Their relationship should be very interesting. Ben was lucky here as Saunders was reluctant to confront him. But in Chicago he is making the big money and I see he and Skiles having a rocky relationship as soon as Ben doesn't get his own way. And why do you think the other team members did not fight harder to keep him here?

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Like many, I think Ben probably respects those who command respect. I'd be very surprised if he didn't get along with the coach. Skiles won't have the back talk and he will establish that early on. Simply put, if you're a doormat people with walk all over you. As far as team members fighting for Ben, it seems to me that most of the team was saddened by his departure. Remember this is a team of players who have a history of a nomadic lifestyle in the NBA. Their ability to show composure is most likely a sign of maturity versus indifference.

4. MotownPride

By the way, Flip is an idiot. That can't win without an offensive center comment was uncalled for and untrue.

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I'm sorry easybuckets, but what is your source on "the other team members did not fight harder to keep him here"? From the article I read here, it looks like Ben's teammates were looking out for Ben Wallace, well aware that Flip ball ain't about nuthin' for Ben Wallace, and they probably all already knew then that Flip ball ain't about nuthin' for them either. Flip ball is about Flip. Whining wimpy weasel Flip...he has one plan: he's gunna prove to the whole NBA that his system works. Come hell or no ECF title.

God...will the Ben hate and revisionist history never end?

Let me ask you this if Joe Dumars had had the cujones to fire Flip even though he won so many games in the regular season, do you think Ben would still be a Piston? Of course he would.

6. max

max All-Star

Thanks for posting that. Probably more truth in that article than what we have seen so far.

We all knew something was massivly wrong when Ben say out the entire 4th but he was shooting 20% on FT's and had not done much all series.

Its still sad though and I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I did not like McKosky's take on Bens offense being a reason to sit out more 4th quarters in Chic. If Ben gets his FT's back up to 60% then he will play. As we all saw countless times before Ben makes his impact in crunch time with key rebounds, key blocks, and intimidation.

Scary thing is. When Ben started slumping the Pistons lost their crunch time edge. We left that back in the Clev series with Bens overall game. Its also scary that the head coach did not appreciate Bens ability as a game changer. But would it have also been unwise to give a huge deal to a player that let the side show effect his game to such a large degree - or maybe he really is slowing down?

We will see. Fans don't pay to see Flip Saunders coach so Davison may end up regretting this one in the end.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Powerful and revealing.

8. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The impression I got from Ben's statement is that he was already leaning towards leaving, and had enough respect for his guys to check in with them before he announced it, and they had enough respect for him to say "good luck" rather than giving him a guilt trip or slamming him on the way out.

What's really disturbing about the article is the fallout from the fourth quarter move by Flip. It was was dumb in the context of that particular game, and bad for the long-term viability of the team. Ben is on target when he talks about always needing a guy to do the little things, but Flip is just not a "do the little things" type of coach.

9. roscoe36

What's sad is that a guy like McCoskey tries to debunk articles from the Chicago market, and the WorldWide Leader in Sports swoops in and basically confirms everything.

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah, I haven't weighed in on McCoskey yet because I like to read a writer for a long time before I draw any conclusions. But the jury is in. He needs to start drawing his paycheck from the newly created Pistons Propaganda department. Maybe a little bonus in there for his Revisionist History Series.

11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Just when as a amateur journalist...I was starting to feel bad about calling that guy McCrapsky...

Thanks Crapper...

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Can't help but wonder if Ben had played better if he would have been in those last 12 minutes... we've seen Sheed sit... LB used to make Rip & Chauncey sit when they got sloppy...
    Me thinks Ben's pride is sometimes bigger than his contributions (when the team needs scoring)...
    Not running plays for Ben is on Flip.... it's one of those damned if you do/don't things.
    I'll say the fault rests somewhere in the middle.

13. MotownPride

Absolutely.

14. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I think it is wrong to keep blaming Saunders for Ben's jumping ship. Remember the rumors that Ben was thinking he was worth 20mil? There was no excuse for Ben to defy the coaching staff. He was immature and out of control. Saunders gave him plenty of minutes. There was no known reason for Ben's poor playoff perfomance. Rip, Sheed, and Dyess, all had injuries. Ben did not. Did Ben sabotage the Pistons in the playoffs for spite? I think it is a possibilty. We will never know what he was thinking because only he knows that. But Skiles is a hothead and I don't think he and Ben are going to get along. Remember that it is rumored Ben did not get along with any of the three coaches he had in Detroit, will Skiles be any different? You can keep hating Saunders for everything, but I think Joe and Bill D. also were part of the decision to let Ben leave. . Like Samuel L. Jackson said, I don't think the Bulls deserve to win and I hope they burn in Hades. I loved Ben when he was here but I was really disappointed in his behavior at the end of the season. Ben should enjoy his money and shut the heck up.

15. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I have written and deleted about five different responses to this statement. I am trying my best to be polite and civil on this forum. That's all I have to say.

16. roscoe36

A lot of rumours come out of PS&E anytime there is a negotiation. If Billups is looking for $16~17 million a year, I would not be surprised in the least if he gets dragged through the mud.

Rumours are just that. Rumours.

I imagine that Ben will do his talking on the court in Chicago. We'll see how much game he still has.

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:yawn: Get a grip or I'm going to be forced to add you to my ongoing list of The Delusional Ones. :rolleyes:

18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Lurker you exhibit much self-control and civility. I salute you. :nod:

19. roscoe36

Thank you. :thumb:

20. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ben rips Flip

I just had to start a new thread on this one. I posted the wesite on October Pistons news thread.

Just let me say this: That was some ugly stuff if it is in fact true. This article was posted today and Ben just pretty much let Flip have it.

Lots of holes in the story. It's hard for me to believe a lot of this mess. I can't see Ben shooting his mouth off like that, he just doesn't appear to be that type of a guy.

No kudos to the fans of Detroit especially for such an extensive article .

I am pretty much speechless similar to when the pistons lost to Miami last spring.