Pistons Negotiated as a Team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 6, 2006.

1. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Everyone loved LB until the Cleveland dalliance. Nobody had a problem with his Xs and Os. The nagging was annoying, surely -- they didn't look like they were having any fun at all in the 05 playoffs -- but other than that, there was no clash. LB did everything Ben wanted. Not because he placated Ben, but because it also happend to be ``play the right way''.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

\

Yeah, I agree.

One thing stands out about this situation - is the team self destructing before the season even starts? I am a Piston fan through and through. I am going through hell waiting for the season to start, I will watch football, but am not that big of a fan.

I am looking for answers to these questions:

1) What happens when Sheed goes off?

2) What happens during a slump, say 5 losses in a row?

3) What happens if the defense and PIP are worse than last year?

4) What happens if Delfino doesn`t get the PT he was promised?

5) What happens if the Pistons win the title?

I`ll answer that last one; Flip gets to keep his job!!!!!!
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm right here sweetheart. Been here minding the shop with the guys, through the long, long summer.

Everyone will settle down once the games are played. :)
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Alrigiht Scoe, you know you my honey bunny.....Can't wait until you open up the chat line....

Would you consider opening it up the night before the preseason tip. Please.....

Hey Dlev, I am with you if they win the Ship, we keep Flip, that rhymed, how bout that.

I am sooo disappointed in Big Ben, not the man whom I loved in that Pistons uniform. I never knew he talked that much, totally blowing up in the media. Then to be hypocritical, liking Carlisle and such. What a shame. I am not going to get started on Ben it's just a little too depressing. I will say this...maybe this is the guilt trip for leaving detroit..trying to convince himself that he did the right thing...If he is comfortable with his decision, why continue to harp to the press about it..
  5. roscoe36

It will be open for all pre-season games, and if you want it open the night before, we can swing that as well.
  6. armygirl

Thanks Roscoe,

In the words of Mike Myers, "Yeah Baby, Yeah..........
  7. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

I agree with you... I was just thinking this on my way home from the market. Ben wasn't much of a media blabber while he was here and suddenly the floodgates open. Sounds like either a PR campaign or a guilty conscience.

The weird thing is - - the fans and his teamates don't blame him and wish him well. Maybe he's been reading to much of the Detnews.

I was also thinking, not too long til the 10th. I think I'll watch some Jason Maxiell Youtube clips. Free the Brahma!
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I think it was more a matter of the interviewer pulling the right string on a soar subject. Obviously Ben has a dislike for Flip and my guess is that when Flip linked their disappointment in the offseason to his performance it set him off. In the article he says that Flip obviously was goating him into a response and I guess he decided to give in to it.

Makes you respect the players/coaches who are able to show restraint when pressured by the media a lot more. At least it makes for a good rivalry.
  9. roscoe36

The things Jordan said about the Bad Boys makes this seem like a game of patty cake.

That was when he accused them of destroying basketball, of playing to injure and dumb down the game. When he painted every match as good (the Bulls) vs. evil (The Pistons). When Phil Jackson would talk trash about the entire state of Michigan.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I miss that. I'm hoping for a little Pacers excitement this year, and maybe a good Chicago/ Miami/ Cleveland rivalry.

As far as Ben's character or whatever, I don't think he trashed the Pistons at all. He just answered Flip's accusation that you "Can't Win With Ben"
  11. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Hey... I agree with this too, as well as the fact that Flip has a big mouth out of which fall a lot of dumb things. (What can I say... I'm pretty agreeable).

I'm just being an amateur Freud and saying, on top of those things there is something about this situation that has transformed Ben from a silent type into a bubbling fountain of information. Maybe it's not guilt but just the transition - like switching high schools - that can make you feel insecure and less able to exersize restraint.

I'm just saying that I think there's something different right now on top of Fip's idiocy and a goading reporter.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

What makes you think Ben didn't like them? He never publicly bad-mouthed either of them. He respected them enough to have his best years with them coaching.
  13. armygirl

He didn't mouth Flip either while he was here. I could have sworn that Ben did not like it too much when Brown sat him down. Just like CB said, his relationship was the same with Flip as it was with Brown and Carlisle.
  14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

That's what I got, I don't think Ben liked LB or Cola, but he did respect them.

And when I think about Ben's complaining about Flip having favorites and the absolute utter contempt and lack of respect that Ben feels for Flip makes me wonder how many other guys on the team feel the same way.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If Skiles treats players equally will he jump on Ben if he messes up?
    If so how will Ben react... Ben seems to have some thin skin.... this could get interesting.
    LB was headstrong but he went out of his way to keep Ben on his good side.... far more abrasive than the other two coaches... ie. "don't pass to Tayshaun he doesn't want it" etc.
    Ben was very p.o.ed at LB when he went off on the team during a losing streak.
    Carlisle just pretty much ignored Ben

Flip tried to be politically correct and it backfired.... I'm not sure if being a tirant leads to a better success rate... although a tough taskmaster like Popovich has a good track record... he's also the beneficiary of excellent drafting

How unique is players and coaches clashing?... not very... it's a good thing that Pop never pissed off his players.
    I think the Ben/Flip thing is a little overdone.
    In a way maybe this critisism may be helpful for Flip to improve his defensive approach... although duplicating prior years lockdown D will be tough to accomplish.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Ben has never bad-mouthed Carlisle or Brown...even after them getting canned...he respects them. Flip is another story. Ben has a history of being a quiet guy and speaking his truth on the floor only. For him to publicly light-up Flip tells me something was very wrong. I'll never see the logic in placing the fault on Ben.

CB is still here...there's no way he'd consider casting a negative light on Flip.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You know things have gotten tired when writers start quoting BBallJ.
    Hersey I say.
  18. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

I'm certainly glad the season is about to "start" so that the blame game can "stop".
  19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

The difference between ``respect'' and ``like'' is the key here.
  20. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

Some people are just looking for an "excuse" to make an "excuse".