Pistons Negotiated as a Team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 6, 2006.

1. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

For Ben to snipe at Flip in the papers after leaving tells me that Ben is immature, perhaps being the youngest in a big family has made him a spoiled brat. He is going to dislike anyone who doesn't let him have his own way. Flip has shown class and restraint and Ben has shown neither. Ben won't like Skiles either when he doesn't let Ben call the shots. Hopefully Ben will shut the F up and enjoy his big paycheck. It was Ben's choice to leave. The Pistons final offer was over 52mil and was very fair. Also I think his actions are disrespectful to his fans here who were extremely supportive even when he screwed up.
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

If defending oneself is considered immature, we all should be guilty of such a crime.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Sigh. More revisionist history.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A-KMW, you know how it is. The victors write the history books.
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah yeah. So true. That's why it's so important to win. That's why I was so so so glad we beat the Cavs in Game 7. The history of "LeBron's coming out party" against Detroit would have been unbearable to endure. WINNING IS EVERYTHING!
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

From what I saw last night Skiles and Ben will get along just fine. Wallace wasn't forbidden from crossing half court onto the offensive end. Nevermind the fact that Flip does alot of "saying without saying". All his praises for being able to finally open up his playbook and team "improvements" on offense are passive, yet very intentional swipes at Ben. Flip uses alot of plausible deniability and reasoning behind his failed strategies and Ben does not. Just because Flip is beta male to Ben's alpha doesn't make Ben classless.

Ben has a title and FOUR DPOY awards to show for his 6 years of hard work in the D. Flip has a Fools Gold record, an All-star coaching appearance, and postseason flameout to show for his one. I refuse to believe the successful member of the arguement is mostly to blame for the team's failure.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The announcers commented several times that Skiles was screaming at the guards to get the ball inside (presumably to Ben).

I think that Skiles knows what he has and will do whatever it takes to make him happy.
  8. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Ben is the best at what he does and I was glad to see him get paid for what he does. Chicago will be fine but they will be a jump shooting team that averages around 90 pts a game. When the playoffs roll around they will be expose like the Pistons last season vs Miami.

You have to be able to get all positons on the floor to score, the perimeter will no win you games in crunch time of the playoffs.

Ben and the guys did realize Chicago would be a better fit for him, The Pistons will avg close to a 100 a game this year but give up over 90 a game.:(
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Then how is it that LB managed to get a ton of points in the paint and get to 2 Finals with such a liability in the paint?

Just being able to score from all 5 positions doesn't mean they will.
  10. roscoe36

Deng and Nocioni can score in the paint, and Hinrich/Gordon can take anyone off the dribble.

Last year's Pistons took more Js than the Bulls, and allowed more paint shot attempts.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I want to know where this Skiles / Wallace friction is going to come from? Did he instantly become the great chemistry killer? I think not! On top of that, the team featured tyson chandler in the middle. They did ok. They have guys that attack the basket and a different philosophy from us so they won't turn into the 06 Pistons just because ben went over there. They can bring along Tyrus Thomas in the middle as well.

Skiles may be a punk but I respect him a lot. Looking at his attitude and philosophies, Ben will probably fit right in. It'll make it tougher for us because he'll most likely become more effective for them than he would be for us.
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Well, the Pistons championship with Ben and their series of dominant seasons obviously dispute this thought. But, I'm pretty sure Dennis Rodman would disagree with you as well. He was a part of two great offensive teams that won championships despite his best efforts to not take any shots. He is also consequently one of the top winningest players (winning pct.) of all-time. Maybe number one. Look it up....surprising but true. :)
  13. Slippy

Mahorn said that people talk about dennis rodman not being able to score but it wasn't because he couldn't...he chose not to. He focused on other things to help the team.

The question from me is: where do you draw the line between a player not being able to score and a player not being involved to score.

You saw that with Mo and Delf wandering around out there last season. You saw that with Ben. What it seemed to boil down to with me is that "being involved to score" became synonymous with "being able to shoot".
  14. roscoe36

Bingo! And no one would ever accuse Dennis Rodman of having a nice, consistent jumper.
  15. Slippy

ditto for tay.
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

He did in college. Although "nice looking" is a bit debateable.
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Cue the 3 pt shooting barrage at UK... anyone got that clip?
  18. roscoe36

19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

That's exactly what I first thought, merc. That clip is great, especially with the play-by-play along with it. It's one of my favorites, along with Laimbeer "This is the Moment" and Isiah "My House." Thanks for reposting the Tay video Roscoe!
  20. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Will Skiles give Ben 40 minutes a game? Will Ben get to help be the Chicago coach? Don't think so. Will Ben be upset when he can't be on the floor all the time? Yeah!!!!!! Will Skiles do everything Ben Suggests? Nope! Will Skiles get into a screaming match with Rip again this year? WHAT! Will Ben become a good ft shooter? Nope! Ben is getting older and his playing time will become shorter every year. He won't be happy! Skiles is a punk. Skiles will not kiss up to Ben like is used to. If Ben refuses to go in a game, will Skiles be ok with that? Ben's ego is out of control. Ben is the new guy now and won't get so much preferential treatment.