Pistons offer Stuckey $3.8 million

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Here's another way to think about it. I'd say Stuckey is a decent to pretty good finisher. The problem is because he isn't a threat to shoot outside, every time he drives the entire other team is hanging out waiting for him. If he became a consistent jump shooter and had to be guarded out there he might not get so many layups blocked.

I imagine with better shooting he might also take more jumpshots and have more options available to him than lowering his head and diving in the teeth of the defense.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

With a legitimate coach Stuckey (all 24 years of him) might throw down 8 dunks in a season.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The guy is a shooting guard. Don't you think he should know how to shoot by now?
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think this was that play where Rip whacked the ball away from Gordon but the refs didn't call it.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

BINGO! If Stuckey could shoot over 40% from the 3pt line, and better at mid-range, then he could be a GREAT offensive player. The problem is that nothing he has done over the years has convinced me that he can get there.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I think he threw down more than that last year. Most were early in the season, however.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

40%??? He's a career 27% shooter and he's extremely selective shooting them. That means that if he shot them when he wasn't wide open, he'd probably be about a 15% shooter.

But 40% is unrealistic anyway for anyone who seeks out their own shot. Kobe only shot 32% from deep last year and isn't much higher for his career. It took Dirk 8 years in the NBA before he got a 40% season. Jason Kidd is a .348 career shooter from deep and he's 2nd on the all time makes list I believe.

Stuck has only made 70 3's in his career. That is eclipsed by even non shooting guys like Arroyo.

On the other hand, Rip went from shooting .265 in '04 to a league leading .458 in '06. That didn't last, but it proves that it is possible.
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, but Hamilton shot that well from deep because he didn't take a lot of threes, because he shot almost exclusively from the short corners and because 99% of those shots were wide open.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dumars just talked about how excited Stuckey was to be playing alongside of Knight. It sounds like SuperCollider will stay in the D.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well, at least it sounded like he is HOPING to stay.

I think Gores will be a really good owner. But what a tool. :pound:

I'm really pumped up about this team. :peace:I'm not making any bold predictions for them next year, but I think they will be a whole lot of fun to follow.

Great draft!! They lucked out. Sounded like Dumards didn't think there was a snowball's chance in Cannuckia :canada:of that kid dropping to them. Then again, if he knew his geography, he would know that a snowball has a great chance of sticking around in Cannuckia.:cold:

They grabbed a point guard. Better than I ever imagined . There will be growing pains but let's hope it works out.

:darthvader: =:rapture:
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

With Stuckey showing him the ropes Knight should have the PG spot down pat in 6-7 years.
  12. Darth Tater

Oh, I expect he will show him the ropes, alright...

:hanged2::hanged2::gettinghanged::gettinghanged:
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

I don't know why I find this funny because it really was scary when it happened, but I went to Google to try and look up Stuckey's dunk total from last year and typed, Rodney Stuckey had and it popped in seizure to assist me in my search.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What if we just let Stuckey walk?

Until we can trade Rip, just have him be the starting SG and have Ben Gordon be the backup.

That would eliminate 1 of our 3 SG's and we'd at least have the proper amount on the team (and 2 very good ones in total).

Rip would be happy enough. Ben is used to the bench role and would the hope that he'd get the starting job if Rip is moved.

Knight would have a veteran guard partner who can space the floor.

I'd rather overspend to get Afflalo back than keep Stuckey.
  15. Darth Tater

I wouldn't care about making Rip happy. Bending over for the cancers is what got the Pistons in trouble in the first place.

I think you just put Stuckey back where he belongs as Shooting Guard. I don't think he ever should have been placed at the point in the first place.

I'm not saying Stuckey is any good but he should do better with Knight. Rip must go at all costs. He can take his little luggage carrier with him. Start fresh!
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

I agree with you here. We may be making a mistake thinking Knight can start right off the bat, but if he can't I'd rather they go the veteran retread and/or Bynum route until he can.

This might be a great move for Gordon.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

There has been no bigger cancer on the team then Rodney Stuckey, Darth.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This is IMO the easiest solution.
    At some point, Joe HAS to stop signing guards to bad contracts.
    I think that Stuck is a bad contract waiting to happen.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I could see using Stuckey in some kind of triple team trade to move Rip or Ben. That is unless Joe signs him to another albatross contract so Stuckey also becomes a member of the negative transfer value club including greats such as Chaz, Rip, Max and Bengo. It's getting pretty crowded at their club house.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you Ern but I think that Joe "created" this cancer and I can't bring myself to put the entire blame on Collider. Joe chain smoked while dining on an asbestos salad when he handed the PG reigns to Stuck without him proving himself or earning the job in any way.

Joe's kemotherapy could be simply be to not match whatever offer sheet comes from another team.