Pistons offer Stuckey $3.8 million

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 17, 2011.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

We can all see this coming from a mile away and we're powerless to stop it. Signing Stuckey to $7mil per is going to further hurt our chances of balancing this roster and rebuilding this team. Yes, trading Rip would be ideal but it will require Joe taking back yet another bad contract.

Rip was a mistake (duh).
    In order to rebuild, Joe must maximize every opportunity to un-do his past mistakes. Waiting another 9 months to a year might yield the best situation for the future when it comes to Rip freaking Hamilton.
  2. max

max All-Star

I can't believe Dumars would do that - esp after drafting Knight.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not suggesting this to get rid of Stuckey, but rather to get rid of one of our 3 primary shooting guards. We might be stuck with Rip and Ben, so get rid of the one that we don't have to keep.

It will take a trading partner to unload Rip and we'll probably get the short end of that deal. It might never happen or it might not happen for a long while.

I'm not suggesting to appease Rip, but just to get back to an existence where guys have defined roles. Stuck, Rip, and Gordon at the SG spot is way too many dudes with egos and way too much salary at one position. The Bulls don't even have anyone at that position and they were the best team in bball during the regular season.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Believe me, I'm not a big Stuckey fan. I don't love him and I don't hate him. I don't think he is blameless by any stretch of the imagination. But, I've got to think that the guys who have been here the longest exerted their influence over him.

Now, that may mean that Stuckey is weak minded, which says loads and loads about him. But I'm guessing the older guys lead the "rebellion" and got into his head. Just a hunch.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bill Simmons
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If Stuckey can hit from the corners, even that would be great. We don't have problem getting Stuckey open. He just sucks from long range.

There were 29 players in the NBA this season who shot over 40% from the 3pt land. 22 of those were guards. If Stuckey can't crack the top 20 among NBA guards in 3pt percentage, than we have no business talking about him becoming an all-star or a cornerstone player etc etc.

My point is, for Stuckey to be all the he is hyped up to be, he needs to become a consistent threat from long range.
  7. BallDon'tLie

If Joe hires the right head coach...
    ...and we surround Rodney with the right players.
    ...and if we give him another 3 or 4 years.
    Rodney can improve his outside shot and maybe become a threat from deep.
  8. Walter

Which is why I don't think he'll get any better in time.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Hamilton's been a pouty, whiny little you know what since the Curry days at the very least. Stuckey only started his act with Kuester. He's not a bigger cancer than Hamilton or Prince are. No way.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

If the NBA does add the amnesty clause, that would allow us to unload one of Hamilton or Gordon. You could live with keeping one of them, to play behind Knight and Stuckey.
  11. BallDon'tLie

I think I'd pick the guy with the longest contract and waive bye bye.

Then I'd start completely fresh with filling the SG position for the long term. It's the easiest position on an NBA roster to fill and we can do a LOT better than any of the options that we currently have.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My understanding of the amnesty clause is that you still have to pay the player, they just don't show up on the books any more and wouldn't count toward the cap.

So, if resign Stuckey and waive Rip in the amnesty clause, we end up paying Rip his entire contract amount and Stuckey at his new market rate.

If we let another bidder take Stuckey, then we only pay Rip the entire amount of his contract and get to utilize his services, which are comparable to Stuckey's.

Believe me, I wish Joe hadn't been a moron and signed Rip, Ben Gordon, Charlie V, and Maxiell at above market contracts. I'd be happy if we could somehow reneg on every one of those deals. And if we could, then I'd recommend resigning Stuck. But we have a massive glut at that position, so why intentionally add another player?
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, well except for the fact that Hamilton can't defend a door now and Stuckey is a lot better at getting to cup and drawing fouls. Then there's the little age issue.

I'm not even sure I'd use the amnesty clause on Hamilton. I might rather do it with Gordon (longer contract) and have Hamilton come off the bench (and if he doesn't like that, he can stay home).
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Let me guess, Arron Afflalo?
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You need someone who is comfortable starting and coming off the bench to go with Rod for those nights he doesn't feel like getting off the bench.
  16. Walter

Great post. :thumb:
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If you use it on Gordon, then you'd be paying him $33Million to not play basketball here. That would be an absolute admission of a mistake by JD that I don't see him making.

I don't really think Rip or Ben are any worse than when we singed them. They might not be worth their contracts, but they are worth 50 to 75% of their contract amounts.

Detroit hasn't showcased a player for a trade that I can remember in my lifetime. Now would be a good time to start.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons showcased Brandon Knight before the Tigers game today.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We need Langlois to write a few articles talking about how last year's revolts were all TMac's fault and how clear it is that Rip is the leader of the team, how he's taking all the young players under his wing on and off the court, and how he's spending hours in the gym getting in the best shape of his life.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons have had offers for Rip (allegedly) that they had to turn down because of ownership. I keep hearing he's going to the Bulls, but who would they give up for him?