Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *RUMOR*

If the Knicks deal goes thru for Franchise it will kill this deal...Cato is part of that deal.
    Also if the Magic get Penny (as discussed) they don't need to trade a 1st rounder to get Darko... they would have enough cap space in 07/08 to land any FA they want from the best FA crop in memory.

I hope we don't make this trade... there's no difference makers in this draft... we need a real player in return for DMC & C.A.
    The Denver deal that Kgreg says would be nice... we'd still have to throw a boat load of cash at Nene to keep him... I'm thinking either the Kings,Seattle,Denver or the Warriors will give Joe what he wants.
    Time to revist the trade proposal thread.

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

If Orlando is hell bent on rushing up to New York, be my guest. If that's what they wanna do! Maybe something else will shake out. The Lakers are reportedly "in love" with Arroyo. Maybe we look at a 3 or 4 way type deal and make everybody happy.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

WDFN confirms, deal is done. WDFN.com is streaming, I'm listening online right now.

Darko + Arroyo for Cato and protected (1~5) 2007 pick!

5. roscoe36

Eric Pate on WDFN is tearing Darko a new one on the way out. I remember him talking down DMC last year. He's NOT holding back.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From Blakely:
    "Darko's gone...
    The deal is being wrapped up as we speak, with an announcement of the trade expected to be made within the next couple of hours.

I'll have more details in a bit..."

7. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

So who is the pg replacement?Acker n Lindsey until another can be found?How fast does Joe find a possible replacement for CA and leave Acker on IL?So many questions.BTW I wish Darko good luck and Carlos, hope it works out with more pt.Unless they face the Stones of course.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sorry guys this is a %%%%ty deal... how do we know the Magic will be in the lottery next year?
    Gotta remind ourself this was a free pick to begin with... naw it sucks.
    Let's see if Joe turns around the pick or Cato's deal for a real player.... Atlanta?

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Longest trade ever

Otis Thorpe for a 1st round pick that has been protected and rolled, now with a 4 year lapse, and maybe 2007 we just might use it.

10. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Dealer Joe got us the Darko pick this way.We could end up with 6 on down 2007 or at the worst if it's protected in 07(1-5), unprotected pick in 08 if I'm not mistaken.So at the worst 2 first round picks in 08 or trade the pick for whatever.We aren't in to bad of shape,trust in Joe.

11. roscoe36

I believe it is 2007 protected Merc. That's supposed to be the deepest draft and deepest free agent class ever. Should be interesting. Maybe Joe is thinking much further ahead...

12. max

max All-Star

I agree with Merc. Now thats its out there that the Golden Boy was almost traded, or that its out there, there may be a deal with another team if ORL falls through.

If it is ORL then I hope Dumars makes the Lottery protection a deal buster because a lottery protected pick is nothing. Darko + Arroyo for Cap relief only? Forget it.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What we heard all along from Joe was BS...we're not trading him... he looks gr8 in practice...yada yada...
    This is the very best deal we could get?... in the East Conf. no less...Damn Darko must be worse than even Hatter thought :^)
    What if he plays well and Orlando is in the playoffs next year... if Darko comes back to kick our azz I'll be questioning management.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We're right back where we were 3 1/2 years ago... hoping a team loses in the future so we can get a better prospect.
    I kinda doubt Joe hangs on to the pick (given his track record)..but...
    Might as well look at the 2007 draft projections

15. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

My concern is still backup point. Hope Joe has something in mind. I think Acker will be good down the road, but I'm not prepared to stick a guy who hasn't played a minute in the NBA into a playoff situation and just hope for the best.

The 2007 pick sounds bad now because it's a year off--but realistically it might be better than getting one this year (as long as it isn't overly protected) because a) the draft will be deeper and b) no one we select this year would get to play for us next year anyway, especially as we try to mix the three rooks from this year into the rotation.

I sure did think we would get more for Darko, though. If we want to acquire a player for this year, Davis + the pick we just got or our own 2007 pick is all we really have to barter with, unless we plan to part with one of our youngsters (Maxiell, Acker, or Johnson).

I will say that I'm glad the Darko saga is over. It had grown tiresome.

16. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

This is a horrendous deal. You know Darko had skills and developed an attitude because he wasn't rewarded with playing time. He is going to be motivated big time now and we will deeply regret this move.

Arroyo was a good distributor (remember when he first came here) who needed work on his decision making in our scheme. Isn't that what coach's are supposed to do...work with players weak points?

What did we get? A questionable draft choice and cap relief so we could sign a player who is on the downside of his career and will be useless by the end of his contract.

Now we have needs...what will happen if Chauncey goes down? Who will replace Ben as he ages?

Dumb...Dumb...Dumb

I have always trusted Joe, but now I really have my doubts.

17. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Over on detnews PistonsTalk, a number of people are waxing nostalgic about Darko, saying he'll become a triple-double guy or a 5x5 type like AK47. In response, someone called cain5150 said this:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I wish him well, but if Darko becomes the second coming of Wilt, I'll eat my shorts. (I'm not worried....)

18. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

If that's all we got, maybe Joe was in a hurry to get rid of him. Maybe he was worse than I thought! :doh:

19. roscoe36

I don't have a problem with this deal at all. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. In this case, the Pistons lose a little, and Darko and Arroyo both get a fresh start.

Keep in mind that Orlando has a lot of guards and Arroyo will be back to fighting for PT. And Darko will get fed into the action pretty quick, so that should be pretty interesting to see how he develops.

Ben's replacement is Amir Johnson. Dice's replacement is Jason Maxiell.

Joe will reload with trades and FA over the next two years while still having the core under contract.

Eric Pate on WDFN reasoned that the Pistons are super high on Alex Acker, and he will get a chance to be the third PG.

This move is about flexibility. Darko was not going to play this year (obvious a month ago), and Arroyo wasn't meshing well into Flip's system. So Joe cashed out his chips, and will look for another table to play on (to continue detteam's Texas Hold'em poker analogy).

Cato's deal can be traded yet this season, and that or another move is a real possibility with Joe getting his trade done relatively early (more trades around the league will follow shortly I am sure).

We get some salary flexibility, it looks like we get to keep our core, we still have 5 young players to develop (Evans, Acker, Maxiell, Delfino and Johnson). This is really not the end of the world by any means.

20. max

max All-Star

I am with you guys. All the BS the past couple of years.

Nothing to worry about, Learning from the bench, everything is on-track just look how long it took J.O'Neal. We go from that to McKrapski's article on what a geneous Dumars is at correcting mistakes. Trade will not impact us at all this season - What about a backup point?

Deal does look a little less certain with the NY scenerio ( ORL also offered Kato the them ). And the draft protection. If we get the pick unrestricted for this season then its not a bad deal. if not then I hope Dumars pulls it from the table. At least then there will not be any more fluff on how Darko is comming along as planned.