Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Max, deal is DONE.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

on the bright side we can work at developing amir, alex and jason.
    maybe thats what brought on the trade. maybe someone was more ready that we thought.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Good point Slippy...maybe someone was kicking Darko's tail... can't wait for Joe's comments on him... I really want to hear LB or flip comment on DMC (Flip will be plitically correct).
    Needless to say We'll be watching more Magic games.

4. G-man

G-man Starter

Good deal considering what we actually gave up. I don't know what some of U guys expected, the line on the DMC era is nothing, nada, zilch. This is about the future.

"ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported the first-round pick in the deal won't belong to Detroit until the 2007 draft at the earliest. Orlando keeps the pick for this June's draft and the pick is top-five protected in 2007, meaning that it would only go to the Pistons if it's No. 6 or lower. The pick is totally unprotected in 2008."

Who was really going to give up the house for this guy? He quit on us and everyone out there knows it. He was biding his time waiting to leave. Any pick we can get thats in the 7-10 plus the space needed to resign Big Ben and Bbbbillups is something. The Cato contract is serious relief that had to come from somewhere or u could've kissed bbbillups ggggoodbye.

We traded a non-player and guard going no where on this team for cap relief we had to have - plus a likely 7-10 pick. There were no miracles on the horizon based on what we were offering. The product was tainted. I'm more surprised that Orlando with cap problems of their own would've pulled the trigger on it.

Orlando needed that cap space more than we did, we may have made a bad decision on picking DMC at the 2, but at least we had the depth to work through it. The Magic just mortgaged their cap flexibility for this guy, let's hope he "gets it" and gives them a better and more consistent effort than he gave us.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From the Det News:

Long-term, though, the Pistons gain not only a first-round draft pick, but also $8.7 million in cap space created by Catos expiring contract. The Pistons, as of Wednesday evening, hadnt decided whether or not to bring Cato in for a medical examination or simple waive him. He has been out most of the season with a right foot injury.
    "Right now, I have to get to work on finding another back-up point guard," Dumars said.
    With Arroyo gone, the Pistons are left with 35-year-old Lindsey Hunter, who is just now getting back into shape after preseason ankle surgery, and rookie Alex Acker, who has yet to play in an NBA game.
    The Pistons can also use Carlos Delfino and Tayshaun Prince at the point, if necessary.

6. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

One thing that factored into this is that Darko's value to the Magic and his value to us are different. I think this is a terrific trade for Orlando because they have very little to lose. They try Darko out for a year and a half, sign him to an extension if they like him, and let him walk if they don't.

On the other hand, Darko had very little value to us because he can't beat out the guys ahead of him and we know it will be virtually impossible to re-sign him at the end of next year (both because Bill D. won't go over the cap and because I think Darko would have wanted to go someplace else to get a fresh start).

So I think what we ended up with was something halfway between the value we placed on him and the value that Orlando did.

I was 100% in favor of drafting Darko, but things were never going to work out for him here (some of which was his fault and some of which was not). So let's hope that our 2007 pick is a good one and we can have a bit of a do-over at a time when the player we select may actually have a realistic chance at breaking into the rotation.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You guys just don't get it. Nobody in that 2003 lottery could have helped this team. The Wade and Rip senario is typical. Say Wade starts coming on for Rips minutes. Does Wade bolt like Houston did. Do we trade Rip or let a future allstar come off the bench with pay?
    This team doesn't need another pick for 2 years. If only to replace stolen bench players.
    JD has his team. All he can do now is kick down all the other Gms scratching at his feet.

8. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

For those that want to keep tabs on Darko and Arroyo or just chat it up with Magic fans. Here's a pretty good place to do it: Magic Madness

9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Feels good to look forward again. And No, I have no feelings of ambivalence.

10. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I think you are absolutely right.

11. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I agree and disagree.

No one on the Darko draft would have helped us. If we didn't draft Darko, we wouldn't have our team today.

But I think Chris Bosh would have been fine off the bench, IN RETROSPECT. I never knew how he would turn out. Wade, Melo would have been a complicated fit. They are great players in their own rights playing a role on their respective teams, but their roles would not be what they are if they played here. Bosh is playing on a bad team, and IMO he would be a good role player on a good team like Detroit.

I was 100% behind the Darko draft by Joe. Still am. Stubborn I guess. OR maybe ego, but it will be always be considered a mistake by others considering how little he played.

Like Marc Stein said, GM's hope all their mistakes turn out the way Joe Dumars' mistakes do.

Cato can be kept for his contract. You gotta love that and the fact that yes, we are not in dire need of a draft pick. We also have three picks this year that look very promising. Heck, even Amir had more enthusiasm in throwing that windmill dunk than Darko ever has. JMax is a no nonsense guy and the Artist, Acker is just biding his time as well.,

12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Scary thought, there are only 8 Pistons that have played anything other than garbage time minutes (I dont count Hunter's 12 secs and Dales token minutes).

13. Laimbeer_84

Laimbeer_84 Second Round Draft Pick

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *RUMOR*

Yea Best is in Russia but would surely bolt for a chance to play for the Pistons. And I have absolutely no idea what Strickland is doing right now. Maybe we look to the CBA because those are the biggest name free agent PGs from the NBA that I can think of. Any other thoughts on where to go with backup PG?

14. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Here's Yahoo's/AP's take on the trade.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

My complaint is that we should not have traded him within our conference... unless there was a dire need to move Arroyo DMC could have raised his value more in the summer... but it's time to look forward.

According to the Magic broadcasters Cato is likely out for the year... he won't put on a Piston Uni.
    We can trade him again as long as it's not with another player... we can package him with a draft pick...however it would have to be Orlando's pick or our 08 pick (can't trade our own in consecutive years).
    So what are our assets to land this PG that Joe was talking about?
    we have some 2nd rounders to move and some rookies...and/or Cato...
    the question is does Joe just want a short term PG while Acker developes or is he willing to plunk some salary down... there's some help in FA PG's but these guys are old or coming off major injuries...
    My guess is Joe will ride with Acker and pick up a vet from the NBDL for insurance... since keeping salaries down seem to be the priority.
    I think we got our answer if Mr. D was willing to go into the lux threshold.

16. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Do you mean you are still in favor knowing what you know now? It seems to me that Joe got caught up in the national hype about Darko, and that Darko's ability to adapt to the NBA game was in reality a complete unknown at the time of the draft.

17. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I thought we might get some mileage out of Cato but looks like that ain't the case. Let's get Denver on the line. They like oft-injured big men. :spy:

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

brilz, would any of those guys come off the bench for 4 years? Or settled for 2sd string money. Their agents would've sent them to the money and starter minutes. It was a 2 pick. You have to make it count. We had no business with a 2 pick. Do you remember how uptight everybody was when they found out the Pistons just got a bloody 2 pick!!!

19. max

max All-Star

Guess thats about it then. I gave the guy an F in my grades so I guess I gave up on him too this season. He can block shots but his man to man D blows and he can't rebound. Seems to have a post game but he prefers taking outside shots. I hope Orlando can do better. Darko is a good passer - I will give him that.

One thing they do have is Dwight Howard who happends to be 6 months younger than Darko with a reputable strong work ethic. Perhaps some of that will rubb off on Darko. For the 1st time Darko will be in valid competition against someone younger than him for PT. Perhaps that will inspire him to do more than take outside shots and run around setting screens.

On the Pick. Mirror image of the Memphis pick. Can Orlando go anywhere in the next 3 seasons? Be great if they stay in the basement and we get another crack at another top 3. Mulligan on the pick. At Least its something to look forward to and will come at a time when we will need it. Orlando appears to have some future with Howard but they always find ways to blow things.

Tough to part with Arroyo. Traded for him last season because Hunter was not getting it done. We do have Delfino this season and Flip has been experinmenting with Tay at the point so perhaps we will see Tay play some backup point while Delfino gets more time at the 3. Or Delfino may even play some backup point. Either way its a good opportunity for him. We also have another spot opening up so Maxiel can be re-activated.

I don't think Kato is a throw in. He does open up cap space next summer but this season while we have him I can't see cutting him when he is supposed to be comming back from injury soon. Valid 6'11" backup PF/C for the post-season. And who says Kato will not be re-signed? At 31 he still has a few more years left. Strange - Now we have 4 players within months of each other age wise.

Side note - This trade will wipe away about 60% of all Piston posters. Challenge to the rest of us to step it up and post on different subjects. It was getting trite anyway. Everything written on Darko had been done before. I had kind of stopped reading most of it.

20. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Everyone else has taken a shot, so why don't I?

The key question is, who is the back-up PG?

The answer my friends, is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind.

What will Joe D do with the new draft pick, and the Cato cap space? Is there a team out there which needs cap space and has a decent point guard they are willing to give up?? You fantasy players should know the answer. How about blowin' it in the wind?