Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

lol bball jay

great minds think a like.

2. Laimbeer_84

Laimbeer_84 Second Round Draft Pick

Eddie Griffin

Any thoughts on getting Eddie Griffin? Dwayne Casey no longer plays him or Jaric. I dunno exactly who we'd need to send in a deal for Griffin but I think he's got a great upside. If he can learn to be a more selective shooter and stop the stupid fouls he could be great. He's already a defensive force, he currently ranks above Big Ben in blocks per game at 2.3 compared to 2.2 from Ben and 16 more minutes per game for Ben than Griffin. He could be an excellent player to develop and could immediately help us off the bench on D and can also make shots in the paint (he takes too many stupid 3's right now :ohwell:). I think this would be great for us if we could move a couple of expendable guys for him and maybe someone else. I'm pretty sure it was Flip who took the shot on him last year after he went unsigned for most of the year so I say do the damn thing Flip!

3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *RUMOR*

If Darko and Arroyo were traded for Cato alone Dumars would have to be canned. That's just absurd.

4. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

From Bball-Jay

Better than Cato? :confused: I'm sure you have some stats to prove that one. And you base this on what?

Precisely. What better way to achieve that than to move the dead wood at the end of our bench.

Yeah Flip should be tarred, feathered and run out of town for his failure to play Darko.:frusty: :violin: While we're at it, let's string-up Joe D too. He's the one who keeps bringing these meanies in to coach our team.

Very simple solution. We can trade Darko for one of those guys and everybody's happy.:eyebrows: In a year or three, Darko may be able to crack the starting lineup for one of those bottom-feeders, and have a career year for himself as well.

Darko not playing against Orlando, with the lead we had and Miami next up; says a whole lot about his ability to contribute.

5. FreshPrince22

I do think Flip needs to just give Darko another shot at the few minutes per game that he got at the beginning of the year. I mean, did we lose any of those games when he came in early? I can't think of any.

In fact, I just looked it up, and Darko has only played in 1 loss all year. That was the Dallas game where the starters got down about 30 in the first quarter. And while he did have a couple bad showings, so has everyone on the team. How many games has Sheed mailed in, or Tayshaun? I can think of a bunch of them. You can't expect a 20 year old to be that consistant right now. Just give him those 5 1st half minutes, and see what happens. But sitting on this kid isn't going to do anything. You have to find out if he can be salvaged.

6. Mad Hatter

FreshPrince22
    Exactly! Sounds like a player who only get's off the bench in a blowout.

No comparison. Darko ain't no Sheed or Tayshaun.

I would argue that sitting this kid is preserving his value, since he hasn't earned a few minutes in a blowout lately. I think we know that the only way to "salvage" him is to move him. This is his third year. For whatever reason, he ain't cuttin the mustard.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

When you're right you're right... we have indeed been beaten more than expected by young bigs... so wht's the answer?... Is Darko gonna fix the problem?... based on what evidence?... I can tell you for sure he will not slow down these young 4/5's... they take it to him also... worse he's been beat by 2nd and 3rd stringers... he hasn't had to go up against real talent yet.... show me the money my friends.... sounds like vaporware so far.... suck kit up ya wimpy sob!

8. FreshPrince22

I'm not talking about the blowouts. I'm talking about the 10 games when he came in during the first half.

Dec 02 vs. Knicks 106-98 W 5 0-0 0-0 0-2 1 1 2 0 0 0 2 1 0
    Nov 30 at Nets 93-83 W 5 0-1 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 1 0
    Nov 26 at Bucks 85-76 W 10 1-3 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 2
    Nov 23 vs. Nuggets 114-89 W 9 0-0 0-0 1-4 1 1 2 1 0 3 2 1 1
    Nov 18 at Rockets 78-70 W 6 0-2 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 2 0 1 0
    Nov 15 vs. Celtics 115-100 W 5 2-3 0-0 0-0 2 1 3 0 0 0 1 1 4
    Nov 08 at Kings 102-88 W 6 0-0 0-0 2-2 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 2 2
    Nov 05 vs. Raptors 117-84 W 16 1-4 0-0 0-0 0 3 3 1 0 1 1 3 2
    Nov 04 at Celtics 82-81 W 4 1-1 0-0 0-0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 2 2
    Nov 02 vs. Sixers 108-88 W 8 1-1 0-0 0-0 0 2 2 0 1 1 1 2

He played in the first halves of ALL of those games, and we still won them all. I can see sitting him against San Antonio or Dallas, but if we're playing some mediocre team it's obvious that those few minutes aren't costing us games.

Obviously, but don't tell me there aren't games where they look like they could care less out there. Tayshaun with his 1 rebound games. Sheed with his 1 for 11 three pointer outings. Or 2-3 rebounds for a near 7 footer in big minutes. And these are in real minutes that mean something.

And I would argue that if we've got to throw in Arroyo with him just to dump his contract (Cato), then it's as low as it can get, and we might as well just give him a try. If we can get something decent for him, then sure. But if we're talking Cato, then this is just ridiculous. Trading a young 7 footer with upside that won't see minutes (and our backup PG) for an injured, old 7 footer that won't see minutes is just stupid.

9. Mad Hatter

FreshPrince22

:bored: Yeah but both of those guys play excellent defense, and find other ways to win. They can contribute even with "stats" like that. Sheed is a legit all-star. Darko is flirting with the inactive list.:yield: No comparison.

I KNOW you're not tryin to say Darko would grab half as many rebounds as Sheed would. Does he even know what a rebound is, much less where to find them? The kid barely sticks his big toe in the paint most of the time he's on the floor. You can't be 7-1 and play from foul line to foul line. Especially when you're tryin to TAKE some PT.

10. Mad Hatter

Good work on the stats Fresh!

11. FreshPrince22

I'm not point out the stats. I'm pointing out all the games he played REAL minutes in, and the fact that we WON them all. I don't care about the stats. Though I figured I didn't have to hold your hand through that one despite the fact that that was EXACTLY what I said in the post. :rolleyes:

12. Mad Hatter

Whoaa, hold on there Prince. I meant no disrespect. I understand those were games and not "stats." I was complimenting you on taking the time to post them. No offense to you personally, I just disagree with ya on the HVC. :twitch:

13. FreshPrince22

Darko was benched because of his "effort level". Flip said it himself after the New York game I think it was. I am not comparing them as players, I am simply stating that there are other players on our very team that have effort issues at times. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be equal to Sheed right now. If you are, you were setting yourself up for disappointment from the start.

I know this isn't the end-all be-all, but...

Rebounds Per 48 Minutes
    Rasheed: 8.873
    Darko: 9.810

Darko may be a bad rebounder, but Darko would have a hard time staying away from "half as many rebounds as Sheed". Sheed is one of the worst rebounders at his position.

:doh: This is a team with a starting 7 footer that has taken 265 threes in only 49 games. In fact, 41% of Rasheed's FG attempts are from three point range. To tell Darko he can't play in his comfort zone (mid-range) is the first mistake Larry Brown made with him.

14. max

max All-Star

If its done then I cannot see this in any other way then a simple cap dumping strategy.

Kato is an FA this summer so we move Darko's 5.5 mil and Arroyo's 4mil. Not going to get us under the cap but it will avoid any luxery tax. Not sure how close we will be to it this summer, anyone know? With Prince's 7.5mil and Bens 10+ we could be close to it at around 70 mil. Then Chauncey in 07 I think would defiently push us over if Darko is retained.

I think we need Arroyo though. I don't buy that we do not need him when Hunter returns because we traded for Arroyo last season because Hunter was not getting it done by himself. Who else do we have? Acker? Slidding Prince over to backup PG? Delfino?

This is only the 2nd time in francise history where we have a shot at homecourt throughout the Finals. I would hate to see us blow it just so Big Bill can avoid luxery tax in the future.

15. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Prince has a right idea about letting Darko play in his comfort level. Take for example the Phoenix Suns, when they got Boris Diaw they knew he had some faults in his game that Atlanta tried to strengthen but with no great enough results -

Phoenix on the other hand embraces Diaw's talents and what he can do, not what he can't. That allows the player to play to his best potential and when he realizes this he'll step up his game to the next level and improve on his weaknesses.

That's why rookies don't have coaches breathing down their necks for every single play they do wrong. Giving them leeway and knowing that they'll make mistakes is part of the learning process.

16. max

max All-Star

I don't know what else someone can write about Darko. Everything has been covered. For some reason the kidds not playing and there does not appear to be a plan to play him anytime soon.

17. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

I doubt any trade with Orlando actually goes down, especially one involving Darko, however could you imagine that front court in a few years? Dwight Howard + Darko Milicic? They would compliment each other so well with Dwight dominating the inside, and Darko playing the perimeter. Howard is on pace to becoming the best PF in the game, and Darko will be a Top 5 Center and possibly defensive player of the year.

Thats why the trade will never happen, we don't want to get run over by that freight train.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well I heard that Darko has had an ingrown toenail ever since the infamous "workout"... this has effected his mad hops and dead-eyed shooting.... the only real reason he's not playing is because he said something to Joe D' wife in Serbian.... translation "hey baby put a lil Serb in your curves... once you have a Serb ya got the nerve"

Serbian legend stories are welcome here

19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

how are you so convinced darko isn't the answer?? he's a mixture of sheed, ben and mcdyess. he can shoot the j like sheed and mcdyess. he can block shots like ben. he rebounds like sheed. he passes like sheed. he's unselfish like sheed. he can hit free throws better than the rest of the bigs.

if you didn't notice ike diagu wasn't a starter when he came in and took it to our bigs. foster takes it to our bigs on a regular basis. scott pollard isn't a starting big in this league yet he was dogging our boys on the boards. don't point out darko's faults cause they are the same as the starters. the starters have more experience to lean on. darko does a real good job on these young guys just playing on raw talent alone.

diop on dallas is now starting. darko posterized him. rasho nesterovic has started off and on for san antonio. darko routinely dogs him. dikembe mutumbo got punked and blocked by darko. alonzo mourning got posterized by darko. shaq couldn't score on darko in the post. i disagree with your opinion that darko hasn't gone up against real talent.

20. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

both of these guys have 4 other all stars playing around them to carry them when they have off games. i'm sure the 4 starters could "carry" darko against the hawks. they are just on the court to contribute without stats. darko could do the same thing. darko does a lot of things that don't get on the stat sheed either. he gets out on pick and rolls, he intimidates shots, he moves the ball well on offense, he's a legit threat on offense so his man can't play zone like they do against ben.

darko actually comes in and shuts down the paint on defense. then he goes to the foul line offensively maybe. sheed shuts down the paint on defense then doesn't come past the 3 point line on offense. why do you think that darko won't grab the same amount of boards as sheed when they play very similar. prince may not be saying it but yes i'm saying it darko would grab more boards than sheed would if they played equal minutes.