Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *RUMOR*

Mad, I know you hate Darko, but this trade may be the dumbest trade I've ever heard of. Trading our only backup pg (Flip will Never, Ever, play Lindsey) and a young Center with potential for a guy who would the same amount of PT as DMC gets? Huh? If Cato cant get PT on Orlando, what makes you think he could EARN with Detroit?

And as far as being a contributer, Cato is 32, and has never shown he can contribute, so what makes you think he's about to start now? This trade is such a fraud I cant believe anyone is discussing it. Might as well talk about the Kobe for Darko and Arroyo trade I was reading about this morning.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is what the Florida paper wrote about Kato:

"Cato, the 15th pick out of Iowa State in 1997, did OK in his first two seasons in Portland and then had some decent years in Houston, contributing to bad teams. When the Rockets signed him in 1999, Cato was all-out effort and hustle.

But local fans turned on him because they thought he didn't always give a true effort. By the time he left two years ago in the trade that sent Tracy McGrady to Houston for Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, Cato's reputation had done a 180-degree turn.

His play in Orlando hasn't enhanced that. And injuries have kept him from doing much to change that."

Sounds like a real winner. Trade Darko for an injured guy who doesn't give effort.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

BBall, I didn't know our team was "broke".... best record in the league... the starting bigs must be doing something right...
    We tend to put our team under a microscope more than necessary... every team gets beat inside... last I checked we still had a top 5 defense, while using less of the shot clock.
    Ask yourself... what's the real reason Darko's not playing?... the coach hates him as much as LB?... Serbian players are disliked in Detroit?... there's only so manty excuses you can make till you realize that his level of play is much lower than the guys you want him to take minutes from.
    I would still like him to EARN 5 minutes in the first 1/2 of games... but it sounds like practice habits are preventing this from happening (if you believe the press).

4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

exactly the team ain't broke so why trade away the future. i only point out the starting bigs flaws because those are the very same flaws that people use to say why dmc can't get on the floor.

the real reason darko isn't playing is the same one he's had since he came into the league. he's playing behind 3 former and 2 current all stars for playing time on a championship contender.

i'll take joe d's word and flips word over the press. in that last game on fsn greg kelser interviewed all parties involved. flip even said it's not darko it's that he's playing behind 3 all stars. joe d said he hasn't soured on darko and if he thought darko couldn't cut it he would have traded him a long time ago. i'll take chauncey's word that dmc won't cost us games if we play him.

i would like for dale davis to earn the minutes he gets. i would like for mo evans to earn the minutes he gets. both of these players were and are continually given minutes. not based on results. nobody on the team has had to do more to earn minutes than dmc. earning minutes is just the company line.

how many excuses will people make for the org and coaches not developing young talent??? you don't go from leading the league in blocks in the preseason to not being able to earn a single minute in a game. you don't sit for 2 years on the bench then when you finally play you drop 16 block a few shots and rebound. the guy can play it's more to him not playing than just talent or effort.

5. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

FYI, this *rumor* is being substantiated by MLive and WDFN.

[​IMG]
    [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Orlando offers another deal for Darko, 2/13/06
    The Pistons confirm to Sports Radio 1130 Detroit Sunday that Orlando has once again asked the pistons about Darko. The Magic are offering a first round pick and Kelvin Cato for Darko and Carlos Aorroyo. This is the 2nd time in the last 30 days the Magic have tried to make this deal happen.
    [/FONT]

6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

someone in Orlando must be drinking. CA AND Darko??? Wtf???
    Even if there's a first round pick, we knos Joe's draft qualities when it comes to early picks...

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

All negotiations start with a low bid. More times than not, it's just to get both sides talking, the final deals are typically much different than the first offer.

Surely you see the irony in this statement... :laugh:

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If we assume there's some teeth to this rumor (or rumour as our Canadian friends say)... what would cause Joe to even consider this deal?
    Well maybe Darko has forced his hand and he now feels that re-signing him is not likely with his starting bigs still having 2-4 good years left in them.... what if he wanted to bring in a rookie that would better fit the timelines of our veteran team?
    You can certainly see why Orlando would offer this deal... this years draft is completely void of talent at the center positiion (6' 10" Paul Davis is the first projected center at position #23)... so they would look at Darko as better than any option on the draft board for there biggest need.
    From Detroits perspective, reducing over 8M in contract (plus a rookie contract) would put them around 41M in salary next year before Ben's new deal.
    Maybe Joe thinks there a MLE FA out there that would fit the needs better and keep Mr. D's salary structure intact.
    I still think Joe is higher on Acker's potential that Arroyo's.
    I wouldn't make a deal (moving Darko & Arroyo) until after the season... at least with CA we know what we have.

9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

joe would never make this kind of trade w/o jameer nelson included. arroyo isn't terrible, darko is worth more than a random old big (which we already have in davis), and this year's draft is totally WEAK.

i'd consider ben and arroyo for howard and nelson ;o

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This trade rumour must have some validity. However, there has to be something holding up Joe giving an emphatic yes or an emphatic no. Could be either ;

1) Trying to bring someone else in on the deal in order to get another player, guard or center

2) Joe may be trying to wrestle Jameer Nelson or another player from Orlando in addition to Kato.

3) If this deal goes down as stated, Kato for Arroyo and Darko, Joe may trade the pick to another team for some serviceable backups.

4) It may sound far-fetched, but I think that Joe is burning up the phones listening to offers.

11. armygirl

I really believe that Darko is done in Detroit. Joe needs to trade him so he can get some playing time somewhere else in the league, who knows he may flourish in the NBA if he can get with someone who will give him 10-15 minutes a game.
    '
    If Joe doesn't let him go, and if he holds onto to his starting five, Darko is gone the minute he is eligible to walk, we get absolutely nothing for Darko if he walks. Not a good situation to be in.

12. Laimbeer_84

Laimbeer_84 Second Round Draft Pick

That would be such an awful deal if we were to do it, Joe D knows better than to do such a thing. But if we were to make a trade what about cato keyon dooling and the first round pick, also I thought the magic had francis on the trading block. I know he wouldn't really want to be a backup but would he do it to win a championship, and could we make him fit the scheme???

Edit:

13. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

biggest reason

as someone already pointed out. the biggest reason not to do this trade is a frontline of darko and dwight howard is not something the pistons want to see for the next 15 years. both of these guys are 20 and haven't scratched the surface of potential. they will have a 10 year run of being a dominant frontline.

14. armygirl

If Cato & a first rounder is what we are getting, I believe Joe will trade that first rounder before the deadline.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

orlando will have a top 15 pick at least. the pistons can get a very nice point gaurd out of that.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: biggest reason

half true. we won't want to see howard, but darko... i wouldn't worry about him at all.

17. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Then you have serious flaw in your brain. :wacko:

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LOL
    Despite my reservations about Darko, I don't see Cato giving us anything more than what Darko and davis are giving us now. Since he as only played 23 games this season, Flip would not put him in unless Dice and Sheed were in foul trouble.

Plus we cannot give up Arroyo for no point guard in return. We don't know what Hunter is going to give, so giving away an inconsistent Arroyo is leaving us vulnerable at the point with only Hunter and Acker available if CB went down.

CB is playing 40 minutes now, guess what would happen if there is no CA. Forget about the first round pick, becuase he won't play next year either. Either throw in Jameer Nelson, or find a third team that can provide someone to either bolster the interior defense or provide a suitable backup at the point.

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

you must have a serious flaw in your eyes then. because i'm not seeing much out darko like you.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Just heard on WDFN, the Pistons are "still considering this deal", meaning they haven't shot it down.

If this deal goes down, Joe better be working on something much bigger. It is INSANE to trade the pick that could have been Wade/Bosh/Hinrich/Ford/Kaman/Anthony and the 1st round pick we traded for Arroyo to get an expiring deal and a lottery pick.

I will be mega disappointed. Surely Joe has better offers to listen to or has DMC's stock dropped that much?

And speaking of which, that Harrington/Diaw for Darko trade JD turned down ARGH! :frusty: :doh: