Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *RUMOR*

Even with the #1 pick, the deal makes zero sense. Who becomes the backup up point? Does anyone think Cato is going to contribute anything to the team this year? And then he's gone. And a 1st rounder in a bad year?

We lose our backup pg, we push at 4th big for this year, but then lose any chance to see if Darko could have developed, and we get a crap draft pick.

Charlotte gets a young, 7 foot, LB trained, PF with range to pair with Dwight, and they lose a crap draft pick and an extremely average, 20 mpg (on a lottery team, 0 mpg on the Pistons) big.

Huh?
  2. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Re: biggest reason

The brain interprets what the eyes see. We both see the same thing, you just can't interpret the information properly. :P

Howard + Milicic would destroy the league and I will blame YOU.
  3. max

max All-Star

Yes if Darko ever does work out then Dumars would be responsible for helping assemble that beast.
  4. DaviaG-Rap

Does anyone see a better PF/C prospect than Darko in the up coming draft? I mean say we did the trade and got Orlando's lottery pick, which will most likely be no lower than #9 overall, is there any one worth getting?

Lamarcus Aldridge, Andrea Bargnani, Tyrus Thomas, Sheldon Williams, Josh Boone, Tiago Splitter, Kevin Pittsnogle, and Paul Davis are the top F/C prospects. Paul Davis is the only player I'm familiar with and he won't be as good as Darko.

I don't really see any of them getting into our rotation and none of them have the unique potential that Darko does. DAMMIT this is frustrating.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Howard-Milicic (D Squared) would be the next version of the Wallaces. If that trade goes through, I guarantee Orlando would be the team to beat out of Florida next year.
  6. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

I can understand why you want to keep Darko around except he isn't and probably won't (for at least another 2 years) get playing time. If we make this trade (assuming Jameer is included) we get a lotto pick (Hill is hurt again and francis is about to get moved) and 4th big man which will come off the books in the summer and Jameer (of course I through this in because he would be the go/no go for the trade in my eyes). But I still don't see this trade going down.

Keep this in mind. I can't think of anytime in the past when the Pistons acknowledged a possible trade. I think they leaked it so they can get a better offer. I would not be suprised if other teams start offering a much better package.

As some of the other posters said, if Darko turns out to be even 1/2 of what we thought he and Howard would complement each other very well and cause headaches to almost every team.

With all that said it makes sense to the reason why it was leaked. JD is going to get something much better out of this. BTW. Do you guys remember when Francis was traded to the Pistons for about 2 hours before Elliot was sent back to us because of injuries (I believe Francis was traded to Houston shortly after that).
  7. tpaPistonFan

tpaPistonFan First Round Draft Pick

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Trading Darko and Arroyo makes some sense, but not to the Magic for what they are offering. If we are supplying fruits for their future, then they need to be providing something that we can use to win this year and next. Cato maybe a body we can throw at Shaq, but that does us no good if the Mavs runs us off the court in the finals because our overused guards are to tired to keep up.

We all know that Flip will not play Cato and if he was going to play Hunter he would have got more than the 12 seconds that he's played so far this year. He has been active for 4 games and we are 2-2 so far. Joe please find another team that can throw in something that will be an impact off the bench THIS SEASON that Flip will actually play!
  9. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

:attention

Incidentally, this is beginning to feel like suicide watch.

I mean, the Great White Hope is on the trading block!! Why oh why are we being so casual about this?
    :horn:DARKO MILICIC MAY SOON BE GONE!:horn:

This should almost be a thread unto itself. I mean, I wanna know how people are dealing with this. Jubilation? Total fear? Regret? Sadness?

I keep checking ESPN. I keep checking this message board.

This is a BIG DEAL if he's traded. It will be analyzed for years to come. Joe Dumars has a portion of his reputation on the line. The team's future may hang in the balance.

Is everyone being cool because they doubt this trade will happen? Even so, doesn't this signal that Darko will indeed be traded eventually?
    IS THIS THE END OF THE GREAT #31?????????
  10. DaviaG-Rap

We don't know what we are going to get for Darko, if he is traded at all, so it's kind of premature to have any feelings.
  11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Yep, JD is ready to trade DMC, but the Orlando offer sucks, so he's letting it be known to other GM's that he's finally ready to deal. But I don't see teams willing to offer Joe more than a lottery pick for Darko. If I'm a GM, and I'm hot for Darko, I wait Joe out, I force Joe to either resign Darko, or I walk in and sign Darko myself.

Because no way Darko resigns voluntarily with Detroit. Look at Delfino, as well as he's played, as much as he's proven he's got game, he still hasnt gotten any serious burn from Flip.
  12. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

16 Mile:

I'd take that bet!:nod: If Darko goes to Orlando, he will still be riding the bench. This kid is at least 4 years away from being servicable; much less a half-way dominant player. We're talking about the next Shawn Bradley here. And that's IF he learns to play with some fire in his belly!

Not only that, Orlando don't have what it takes (front office wise) to build a contender. Look at the bone-head moves they have made.:doh:

The Darko lovers should be glad to see him go to a team where he can actually play. But don't hold up our championship aspirations in the mean time. If Darko is the "future" then we are in serious trouble (unless he's playing for someone else).

Joe on Darko = :yield:
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hatter, don't hold back.. now how do you really feel about DMC :^)

I think Darko will be at least "servicable" by the time he's 23 if he's given some decent PT.. hell Bradley was actually OK when he finished his career.

Darko has now played 550 minutes... can anyone remember him tracking down a loose ball (please site the game... don't mean steals)... I honestly can't remember a single time.... he'll leave the dirty work for his teammates...Ben get's at least 3 or 4 a game... this does not require years of on the job training... just effort.

Caron Butler had one of the slowest speed shuttle drills of his draft class... doesn't mean he's at a dissadvantage on the court.

Darko is already a crowd favorite... you think he would be highly motivated out there... we need to hire Terry Tyler to %%%%% slap the kid... show him what effort is about (jk).
  14. Mad Hatter

mercury
    A loose ball? What the hell is that?:confused: Wouldn't surprise me if someone like bball jay would say "Darko don't need to do that.:behindsof That's what we have those other all-stars for." The problem with our guys is they are too selfish. They don't wanna carry Darko (for another 3 years) while he gets "developed.":mad:

Absolutely! The DHOF club calls everybody who values effort "haters." :eyebrows: The kid can halway jog from foul line to foul line and some folk are saying "he looked good out there." None of his worshippers will bust his chops for his consistent half-azz effort.:hail: Instead, somma them wanna point to Sheed or Prince and say "they don't give max effort all the time either." :Cry: As if a Darko lover knows max effort when they see it.:frusty:

I still can't figure out why this clown deserves a free pass. I would give the kid a break if he showed some gumption. Hit somebody or somethin. I ain't worried about "rookie mistakes." But heart is another matter. All last year it was "wait until he dominates the summer leagues." We are still waiting. :ballchain I say cut our losses and run.:rip: We got a ring to go get.
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

No way Dumars becomes a fool overnight. Orlando will need to give up more than Cato for Darko and Carlos. :wacko:
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

These Darko trade threads keeps the "hit count" steady... even if they never amount to a real deal...
    From ESPN... On Saturday, Florida Today reported that Orlando had made inquiries, but Assistant GM Otis Smith told the newspaper that no deal was imminent.

Joe always maintains the kid has a future here... this one doesn't sound like an offer that you can't refuse... maybe if he put a horses head in Joe's bed or something.... can't blame the GM's for tryin' to pick a pocket.... we already know who will get the better end of the deal if/when it happens... gotta love those desperate lotto teams:caked:
  17. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I believe out of the 4 or 5 message boards I've read that the DARKO + ARROYO + Detroit's 2008 First Rounder + 2nd rounder (from Minny) for Cato + Jameer + This years UNPROTECTED 1st rounder + Rights to Vasquez made the most sense to me.

With giving up both Darko and Arroyo, you would lose your current backup PG but would gain an "ungrade?" in Jameer. You would get the salary dump effect for Cato and you would get to "stash" Vasquez overseas until you could "persuade" him to come over. You would also be be getting to exchange 1 rounders (ours in 2008 for their's this year).

That is the kind of deal I can see Joe making. He would get a YOUNG BIG that wouldn't be begging for PT right away (Vasquez) and he would be upgrading his backup PG spot and getting a pretty good 1st rounder (albeit a weak draft).

This deal would interest Orlando because they would get a young, talented "untapped" 20 year old that has 3 years of NBA training camps of getting beat on by the Wallaces. He would really compliment D. Howards games. With Darko's passing ability and his outside touch he could be tossing lobs to Howard all night long or knocking down Jumpers. If you put both Darko and Howard next to each other defensively that's a scary thought with that combined athleticism. It would allow 2 TWENTY YEAR OLDS TO GROW UP TOGETHER. Since Orlando isn't going anywhere fast, it might intrigue them. ORLANDO NEEDS A CENTER NOW. They have Mario Kasun playing C right now. If Orlando buys into Darko's potential and they make this trade they have "POTENTIALLY" locked up the best frontcourt for the next decade.

From Detroit's standpoint, it's OBVIOUS that Darko has given up any illusions of playing as a Piston. It's just not gonna happen for him here and HE KNOWS IT (as evidenced by his attitude).

This sounds like a Deal that Joe could pull off and he would getting something decent out of a guy he has been paying the past 3 years.

One more note: From Orlando's perspective they are getting a local product in Arroyo, who is from a Fla school. He is a slight downgrade from Nelson but he could really draw in some of FLA's PR POPULATION.
  18. Mad Hatter

DarthTater

Agreed. Toss in J. Nelson and a couple of 1st round picks and we have a deal! :D
  19. Mad Hatter

Jackattaq

Hmmm...you might be on to something there.:nod: Your logic on both sides makes sense too. :nod: If I'm Joe I'd push for the right to change places with Orlando in 2008. I'm kinda leery about givin up a pick that far in the future.

What's the "hype machine" say about Vasquez? We got somebody reliable lookin at him?
  20. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

On Vasquez, I been told that he was supposed to be the 2nd best bigman in last year's draft behind Bogut. He is supposed to be a good offensive player and have decent athleticism. He is currently under contract with a Spanish team I believe and is in no real hurry to come to the NBA.