Pistons-Orlando trade *CONFIRMED*

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Re: Pistons-Orlando trade *RUMOR*

The only reason I wouldn't worry about giving up Picks in the future is that Joe is the master of collecting pretty good Free Agent pickups. Really, with the "farm system" that Joe has with Maxiel, Amir, and Acker (If Joe likes them "THAT MUCH") how much PT will there be to go around in the next 4-6 years?

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If Joe moves Darko to Orlando, it means he has no doubt that this kid will be a bust and not come back to haunt the Pistons in the East....
    Best bet is to move him out west and not worry about future implications.

3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Jackattaq

Well as long as that "somebody" ain't Tony Rozone (or his kin), Vasquez might be worth a look. Bout time to kick Rozone to the curb as well, ain't it?:frusty:

4. Jackattaq

I would agree with you whole-heartedly, but it does sound from all the rumors floating around that Darko may be "forcing his hand" and asking for a trade. Maybe Joe is just very content to believe that Jmax and Amir and his ability to pick up FA's will offset DARKO's DEVELOPMENT. Who knows? I would prefer to see him moved to the WEST as well, then he can only come back to kick our azz TWICE a YEAR (just like MEMO).

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LOL, The Tony Rony specials... where's Fad Chord when ya don't need him....
    well I guess we gotta wait of Delfino... maybe Tony will bat .33 (can't forget Glynnie)

Speaking of Glynnie.. the Greek kid is holding his own in the NBDL.
    For Albuquerque he's playing 22 minutes...11Pts...shooting 60% ...90% FT's...1.5 blks & 5 rebs.
    Maybe we'll bring him back someday.... it would be funny/sad if he had a better career than DMC.

6. Jackattaq

I know you are a "DARKO HATER" but you can't seriously believe that Glynnie has any chance of having a better professional career than Darko, can you?

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Jack, I want to comment on your avatar... that's the picture I was looking for... can you post the full pic please.
    If you look closely at it... The top of Darkos shoulder is slightly higher than Ben's ...his neck (and head) is definitely longer than Ben's.... now take a look at how much lower Ben's fingers are than Darko's (much more than the difference in the shoulder heigth)... I'll bet money that Ben can get up higher than Darko.

8. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Oh my God what an amazing trade. Why didn't it go through? It fills all the needs we need right now with potential in the future.

All I can say is: Joe D's the man

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Boy have you got that wrong... I'm not a Darko hater.... dissapointed in his lack of effort when given minutes?... absolutely... I've never wanted to freely trade him for the next bumpkin... and believe someday he'll do alright in the league.... but damn that kid needs some motivation.

10. Jackattaq

Like a trade? From watching Darko the past 2.5 years, talent is the least of his problems. It's a combination of ATTITUDE, MOTIVATION and STAYING FOCUSED. I personally think he feels like no matter what he does, he ain't gonna play and of course that has sapped any of the motivation that we saw in the preseason.

I mean seriously, look at Delfino, who can deny that he has played his azz off this year but he is still getting the occasional DNP-CD. Yeah, that's a really motivating factor when you know no matter how hard you work, you won't ever get a "legit" shot to earn your minutes.

Telling a young player to "earn your minutes" and then not following through on your part is what is causing 99% of Darko's problems IMO.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If this trade goes through with the latest scenario (Cato-Nelson-Vasquez-Arroyo-Darko and the two draft picks) then I am in favor of it. If Joe were to take the first or even the second offer by the Magic for DM & CA for Cato and a "first" then he needs his head examined.

If this new deal comes to fruition, then the last time we these two in a Piston uni is probably tomorrow. The next time we see them is April 7th in Orlando when they hang "a curse of the former Pistons" loss on us. :mad: (Remember Memo and Chucky each had a hand in 3 of the first 5 Piston losses this year).

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

You're gonna knock a guy for having the 56th pick not turn into some great NBA player? :doh: IMO, anything out of the first round is a freebie. Hell, in some drafts the last 10 picks of the FIRST round are complete garbage.

Darko was no doubt a bad pick, but it wasn't Tony and Joe that were the only guys that saw him as having massive potential. Most people that saw him deemed him an "instant-star". On the other hand Delfino and Memo were both very good picks late in the draft. Memo is a proven steal, and Delfino will be a year or two.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Heck, I'd be happy with Nelson and their top draft pick...they can keep Cato and their other pick.

I'd make them throw in some free Disney tickets too, except the Pistons will already be going there after they win the championship.:first:

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If Darko is so bad, why would he be worth 2 1st rounders, Kato, and Jameer? Arroyo isn't worth Kato straight up.

15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

if joe makes this trade

he is truly going for the 3 year window thing and then blow the pistons up move. no way he wants to give orlando that type of foundation to build around for the next 12 years. we already have trouble with teams with 1 solid big man. you think the pistons have chemistry and they've only played together for 3 years. imagine dwight howard who is a beast already and darko who is just waiting to be unleashed developing chemistry for 10 years. thier skill compliment each other really well. if this trade goes through i would say it's the first time joe d. got duped on a trade. this will be followed by a long term contract to ben wallace. which will seal our fate for at least 5 years.

interesting side note. will we be able to sign delfino in a couple of years?? will the pistons company line of earn minutes drive all of our young talent away??? check out ages we are getting older every trade. every free agent pick up.

i'd rather have a dynasty than a 3 year window.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There is no need to be afraid of a future Orlando dynasty.

One look at their salary situation, plus the fact they are over the cap and you can see that even if they got Darko now, they would not be able to keep him long term without tying their hands.

They've already got 20~30 million tied up for the next 3 years with Francis, Howard and Turkoglu. Darko would put them up near the 40 million dollar range to keep.

Hill's salary is expiring when Darko comes up, but I doubt they let a $16 million dollar expiring contract die when they could trade it for assets. That would of course mean that they take back more salary.

Orlando's already at approx. $56 million committed for 2007/08. The year of the Darko re-signing with a 6.8 million dollar qualifying offer.

17. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

they are also looking to trade stevie franchise.

remember d. howard and darko are 20 years old. they have at least 10 good years in them. that is a lot of time to fix up a salary situation.

18. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

At first glance I would not do this trade, but looking at it a little bit deeper I would do it only for the 1st round Draft pick. Now if Orlando protect the draft up to 5 thats fine any thing above that no way.

The only thing about this trade is the back up guard position and as much as I like Hunter I'm really concerned with the offense once CB takes a seat or gets hurt and have to miss a couple of games.

This trade only makes since for the financial and draft status for next year. the Draft is not a deep one at that no real impact player coming out just a few good athletes, thats why I did not mind Detroit not having a first rounder for this years draft. It is a tough call one that will not hurt Detroit if done or not.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Same situation as Hill. They'll have to take back close to $16 million in salary. Stevie's deal is long term. No one is going to surrender a bunch of expiring contracts for him. He's badly overpaid and an albatross.

Orlando is in cap hell.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What does Detroit need another draft pick for? Darko was a first round pick. JMax too. We are going to do better next time?

If we lose Arroyo, we better have a plan to get someone better. Hunter is good for certain things... but not every night against every team. I would expect to see a drop-off with McDyess if CA isn't spoon feeding him those free-throw line jumpers.

This whole situation is very frustrating.