Pistons Pre-season games thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is Chris Paul a good floor general? His stats look similar to Bynum's. :stirthepot:
    linwood likes this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In the 2nd half. He did well in the first half. Overall, he was plus 13 for the game. Good game for him in all.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'd need to see both of their desks, to see which one is the better organizer, who has things more neatly laid out, which one has a penchant for spartan work environments etc.
  4. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Tonight marks the final preseason game as the Pistons take on the Timberwolves at 7:30, live from the Palace. The game will once again be broadcast on Fox Sports Detroit.

GO PISTONS!!!
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

For some reason, the image of Will Bynum sitting behind a desk in some office makes me smile.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

I'm sure Bynum's messy desk would cause his co-workers in nearby cubicles to misplace their office supplies.
  7. Pistons0809

Josh Smith hits the game winning triple at the horn! Pistons win!
    linwood likes this.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was only preseason, but lets hope Billups and Stuckey are going to the line in crunch time.....Pope, Monroe and Smith 1-6 under 40 seconds and Pistons were 19-34 overall from the line.

Lucky bounce on a Josh Smith three at the horn at least sends Gores and family home happy as the Pistons steal the W after a defensive lapse by all of the Pistons allow Barea to score what appeared to be the winning bucket with 3.6 seconds left.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

That wasn't pretty, but it won the game!
  10. BillLaimbeer

Drummond screwed up on the drive by Barea. He needed to cut that off or at least swat it into the crowd.

Mo drew up a pretty cool play for the game-winner. I'm stealing that one!
  11. Pistons0809

The preseason ends with a flourish as Josh Smith's Hungry Howies play of the game - a deep triple at the buzzer - seals the victory! Andre Drummond picks up McDonalds Steak and Egg McMuffin/Biscuit player of the game honors with a monster 20 rebound performance. The final, surreal image is Piston owner Tom Gores storming the court in celebratory ecstasy as streamers rain down onto the palace court.

A new era in Piston Basketball is here. As for the non-believers and naysayers, we're just going to let the results of our hard work, courage and determination do the talking!!
    coynejeremy, raw36 and roscoe36 like this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Tremendous outfit worn by Tommy Gores tonight.

That was a good game. Both teams played hard. The Pistons looked pretty good.

Bynum was playing sometime in the late 1st/early second with Drummond, Jerebko, Singler and I think Jorts and was getting guys wide open looks. With any other point on the roster that lineup screams scoring drought.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lots of fun to watch. Lets start with Bynum. I won't say he had a great game, because what happened in the last few minutes. But other than that, nine assists to just 3 turns, 17 points, plus 10 for the game. In all, another good game from Bynum. The negative though, after not picking on Bynum any for most of the game, the Wolves picked on their lost one (Teen Wolf), on every play down in crunch time. Now, it was said, both teams were playing to win. Nope. No way the coach, in a game that really counted, would not have made the defensive substitution there, getting Bynum out on the defensive plays, and maybe back in for the offensive plays. So, hey, in a real game, this would have went down as a truly fine game for Bynum. Coach probably left him in trying to see if Bynum could learn to do anything at all about them picking on him every time down.

On that subject. The coach is not coaching strictly to win. He has things to work on, and that sometimes takes priority. For instance, their was a stretch in the 2nd quarter where are starters were truly starting to stomp the Wolves. Out they came. No reason. Just other priorities, maybe like priorities that involved a tighter game. Just saying.

One thing us fans want to see is Pope hitting shots, and maybe hitting them in crunch time of a close game. Check. Pope nailed a 3 inside the 5 minute mark. A clutch, and very needed 3. Pope had a pretty darn good statistical game, double digit points on 6-10 shooting, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, and no turns. Not to mention his defense was rock solid all game long. Pope scored in a variety of ways, getting to the hoop, pulling up on a fast break, and , oops, not that way though. He missed 2 clutch time free throws, part of a very poor showing indeed by the Pistons at the line this night. Monroe had been the bright spot there until crunch time, where he joined the chorus of misses at the line. Note, Bynum hit all five of his free throw attempts.

I was just a bit exstatic when that shot by Smith went in to win the game. My son thought somebody had to have gotten injured, as I was saying, "Oh No!!!!!" repeatedly - as in impossible. He understood all the commotion once I showed him the replay. Shooter touch? That was just luck, and hey, the old saying is right, sometimes better to lucky than good. That shot erased the need to find any scape goats, like the guys who stepped to the line in that last minute and clanked a buch of free throws.

Siva seemed to grow in confidence as the game went along.

The game got off to a slow start. On our end, Siva was doing exactly what we want him to do, get the ball inside. But our bigs were not cashing in the post up ops. On the other end, Minny was having a lot of trouble scoring on us. Siva went out the first time with us down 11-9. From there, the coach pretty much rotated point guards between Siva and Bynum like every 5 minutes. The turns were not too bad, and few were the result of the guard play. 21 assists is not too bad. Not the greatest assist to turn ratio, but a well run game in all with the ball getting into the post like clockwork.

Smith for a spell seemed like he wanted to shoot us out of this one. But he did make a 3. And then he started making passes out of the post that were giving us points. In the end, he scored 20, was the hero of the game with that game winning 3 as the clock expired.

Lots to talk about. Like JJ. 3 for 3 on triples. And I love this fact - coach played him to his strength - as a small forward. And Singler was played to his strength as well a lot, at backup shooting guard. Between the two, we got a lot of points from them. Much needed outside shooting. Gigi who? Now, with the likes of these two, plus Harrellson all on the floor at the same time, it leaves foot speed lacking, but they did ok. In fact, Harrellson was our plus leader for the game.

Ok, when Drummond gets 20 bounds, on a reverse 20-10 night for him, and its this far down in my report, you know we did a whole lot right. So he did not block that shot. Mistake. Drummond still makes plenty of rookie mistakes. But note he was the only guy plus of our starters, and did I mention he pulled down 20 boards?

WAIT!! Smith is the hero, Drummond pulled down 20. And yet Monroe might have been our most important front line player tonight. His constant good work in the post was really what our whole offense was based upon this night. He scored plenty, and shot well from the line other than that period we shall stop mentioning.

And this, Mitchell did not play. Our most effective guy in the first half of last game did not play in this one. Probably because coach already sees what Mitchell can do. Time to look at other things. And by the way, the more he looks, the more he is wondering how he will ever trim this roster down to a 10 man rotation.

Jennings is still out injured. Billups sat another one out. Datome still has a hamstring problem keeping him from playing. Stuckey, though some think it does not matter, is still out with a broken finger. CV is out with a bad back and few, or possibly nobody, cares. My point is that there are a whole lot of guys vying for rotation time. Lots to get settled yet, and a lot of that will have to wait to be done in the regular season games. I imagine that many will get chances, and those that contribute to wins shall play. I am starting to trust this coach on that.

Great win, meaningless or not, GO PISTONS!!!!!
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wish I could have watched this one. 20 rebs in limited minutes is not too shabby.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That was fun! Man oh man oh man......I LOVE KCP!!!!! Him making shots is a bonus, that kid's defense is something special! This kid REALLY knows how to play defense! I love just watching him fight and slip pass screens so that he stays with his man! GREAT PICK!!!!! And he's a GREAT rebounder for a SG too. I guess it's good that his shot is a little off or else we'd be wondering how and the world can we afford the kid's next contract. Someone mentioned a Klay Thompson comparison, well Thompson seems to be a much better shooter, but if KCP's stroke catches up to Thompson's.....that comparison will be an insult!

I could watch JJ Barrea and Will go at it ALL DAY! And it seems as if they REALLY like playing against each other too. I guess they're trying to prove who's the best Little Backup PG in the league :noidea:

Now the bad.......FREE THROWS :frusty: We are going to lose many games because our front line aren't particularly good free throw shooters. Greg Monroe is decent, Josh Smith is bad, Dre.....still has a long way to go to get to bad. Our guards need to be automatic. But I love how we pound the ball inside, score points in the paint and take a ton of FT's. While Minn shot over 90% from the FT line tonight, we took 34FT's compared to their 19 because of how often we pound the rock into the paint. We have 2 lightening quick guards who can get into the paint (Jennings and Bynum) and a frontline that knows how to go to work in the paint!! Big Boy Ball in Detroit Baby!!!!
  16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Tommy G sighting. It's not every day you see a man sporting $6000 worth of denim jeans. APO Jeans - The Premium Denim - Denimology

I'm really hoping Bynum keeps up his outrageous play during the regular season. If he can bring that kind of excitement off the bench 70 percent of the time, the Pistons should have a great season.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This team looks a lot deeper than in recent years and I am high on the team.

But here is some caution. The team should be learning to play with Jennings and instead we see Siva and Bynum, neither of whom should get a lot of minutes in the regular season. When Jennings gets back, how much time will he need to mesh with everyone?
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'd like to see a 3 guard rotation with Jennings, Billups and KCP; but since things happen, Will will always find himself on the floor.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The injury to Jennings is a real bummer. But I figure if they can compete with Siva at the point......they ought to look like world beaters with Jennings.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah baby!!! Where can I get a shirt to go with them? I can't wear a polo from the Gap with those things.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    coynejeremy likes this.