Pistons Pre-season games thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Did they give any updates on Jennings during the game? I hope this toothache doesn't nag him all year.

KCP has to start. He has glue guy qualities until his shot starts falling. He can kind of do it all.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Got the win, but the Wolves sat their starters in crunch time while we played ours - a little perspective. It was strange seeing Gores out there doing his best Mark Cuban impression. Guess he got caught up in the moment.

I feel like going back and watching this again and noting Smith's FG% on contested vs non-contested jumpers. But I can't bothered. Needless to say, when he is open he takes his time and nails a very high %. But when he forces he is a tuuurrrible shooter.

Any doubts about whether Pope can/should be the starting SG on opening night should be laid to rest after this one. His shot selection was much better, and scoring in a variety of ways - jumpers off screens, open looks, drives, fast breaks. His D is sensational. I remember him swatting away an attempted backdoor alley oop pass like 'Naaah bro'. Our starting backcourt until Jennings returns should be Billups-Pope. Singler seems to be flourishing in a bench role.

JJ hit 3 triples tonight. Mostly wide-open looks. If he can continue to hit those, say bu-bye to any notion of CV being in the rotation. Tony 'hey hey' Tony didn't get any court time - not sure why.

Bring on the Wiz.
    roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  3. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

The pull up jumper by Pope oozed confidence... would prefer him to take it to the rack though...
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They said he would miss the first 4 games of the regular season. I guess this is based on he had oral surgery for an impacted wisdom tooth, and is now wearing a protector for that. Also he is participating in practice even though he can't do any contact or more than light movement. (how much of this is from the announcers vs. hoopshype which I read twice daily I could not tell you really.)
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did you guys see Gores jumping up and down after the game? He looked like they had just won an NBA Championship. Sure, it's just the preseason, but it is kind of cool to see your owner get fired up (in a non-Mark Cuban sort of way).
    del likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gore's spoke about trying to be a more visible owner earlier. Seems sort of contrived now that he goes out and performs. I prefer my owners to be decrepid and invisible.
  7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Some fun numbers to look at from last night - Bynum's 9 assists and 3:1 A:TO ratio, Drummond's 11/20, Monroe's 17/ 5/2/2, Smith's 20/6, Pope's 13/6, Jerebko's 3-3 on 3's.

That being said, this was the preseason at home against another mediocre team that sat their starters in the final minutes. While I like hearing that Pope is playing really great defense and that Monroe is anchoring the team on offense, I'm holding judgment until they start playing in the regular season against real teams. Thankfully, it's not that far off.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

One time I sat 4th row-center stage at Meadowbrook to see the one and only James Brown (Godfather of Soul).
    In the middle of "Sex Machine", I turned around to face the crowd behind me and this is a pretty good representation of what I saw from the other 7,000 or so people who were at this show:

[​IMG]
    Laimbrane, KGREG and coynejeremy like this.
  9. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This was a fun game to watch, even though I knew the result.

Some observations from this game and a couple other of the pre-season games:
    - Drummond with a lazy 20 boards. As Kelser said too - not the last time we will see that this season.
    - Monroe actually held his own on some 1-on-1 defence. Still caught out of position a few times, but promising otherwise.
    - With enough space, Monroe coming off the elbow can be a a dangerous prospect and may just make this PF thing work, even with his shaky jumper
    - Smith jacked a lot threes *wincing face*. At least got the last one to (just) count.
    - Loved the desperation (diving for balls) we are showing even just in a pre-season.
    - Will looked decent again - know how bad he can be so still never sure how to feel when he plays well.
    - Glad Mo recognises have crap BoT is (excuse the pun). Glad also JJ has done enough to help that.
    - Monroe is one of the worst decent free throw shooters in late game situations when the game is close. He will cost us a few games with this.
    - May be a big call and definitely won't get the recognition outside of Detroit fans, but reckon Singler is going to battle Dre for most improved on our team this year. He seems smarter than he already was in his rookie year. Drummond will still probably win.

Seems like for the last 3 or 4 seasons we have had an uphill battle to start the season. Used to be the schedule, but this year having Jennings out to start the season is going to bugger the early season rhythm. Still excited for next Wednesday!!
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Watched the replay of the game, KCP's defense was even better on he 2nd look. He can be a defender on the level of Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen.
    del and linwood like this.
  11. Laimbrane

This would be an awesome result. If Jennings plays defense like he is capable, having Jennings, KCP, Smith, and Drummond on defense will be a nightmare for other teams to deal with.
    del likes this.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Jennings steals the ball a lot. Which means he gambles a lot. But, with KCP/Smith/Drummond behind him, those might end up being low-risk gambles. So, yes, we are finally putting the "D" back in Detroit.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They've got a ways to go to be a good defensive team. Drummond (especially) and Monroe can't cover their own shadows 1 on 1.
    linwood likes this.
  14. webz

Yep, Dre isn't all world defense just yet. Drummond got schooled by Barea for layups a couple of times, simply by using his body in a smart way. Barea is crafty so hopefully Dre will learn from that. He also took some punishment from Nene on the block who simply backed him down, so he still needs work on holding his position.
    linwood likes this.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Awww, you guys are totally ruining my buzz. Back the realism truck down a bit and give me some room. I'm gonna go all Brap on y'all.

We have the best set of twin towers in the league in Monroe & Drummond. Dre will swat away what Moose can't steal.
    We have the best defensive big in the league in Josh Smith, who will lock down the opposing team's best player.
    We have the best perimeter defender in the draft patrolling the wings in Pope.
    We have a lightning quick PG who has a knack for steals in Jennings.

We are going to be a top 3 defense this year. YEAH BABY!!!
    roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Relook at that 2nd quarter if you get the chance. The Pistons were in a zone there at both ends of the floor, with our starting unit in of Siva, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond. The coach subbed there, not because of any problems, but because maybe he had seen what he wanted to see from that group for the moment. Really, I don't think it can get much better on the defensive end. On offense, sure, Jennings is going to outdo Siva. But on the other hand, Siva will never ball hog, ever. At the moment, I see Siva as an excellent choice for our primary backup point, with Billups getting some time there too, as well as at shooting guard. (Apologies in advance to those whe like Teen Wolf - but I will take Siva's sound D, ability to organize the offense, and pass first mentality, over what Bynum brings.)
  17. webz

Not saying we won't be good, but there are still lots of things to work on and improve. I like to be the Brian in the room from time to time to help try to keep all the Peter's grounded.
    Walter likes this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I just watched the game again. First, Bynum did more in the last few minutes than I gave him credit for in my report. Yes, they did burn him a few times, including that go ahead basket. On the subject of that basket, I can't see why we had Singler in the game on that defensive play, his swipe at the ball did little good as their player went in to the hoop. As far as Drummond not going for the ball, he could not. Their player smartly went into him to freeze him out of the possibility of blocking the ball.

Now, as for Bynum in the last 3 minutes. A steal. A layup. Two crunchtime free throws made. An assist for the Pope 3. Several feeds to bigs inside who should have hit some free throws to make Bynum look good. (Would have made him look good too if Pope had hit his two free throws there after we got the ball and he was fouled to stop a fast break.) Bynum also made Barea miss on a shot. Sure, Barea is short, but Bynum was there where he was suppose to be making that shot difficult. In all, yes, he was burnt a few times, but he did more positive than harm by far in those last 3 minutes. And since he did very well the rest of the game, I will say Great Game Will Bynum.

I don't recall praising Singler nearly enough in my report. Singler was everywhere we needed him to be in this game, plus did a lot of scoring. (But he still should no way have been in the game on that key defensive stand at the end.)

Still can't say enough about Pope's defense.

Reviewing that bit about game flow, that observation was kind of correct about the 2nd quarter, at least a little. But it was between both times Siva came out in the first half. Each time he came out, we were doing just fine. Just time for Bynum to get some floor time I guess. In all, Siva and Bynum were just routinely switched out for one another, no real pattern.

I did not want to say anything about the assist ratio until I studied the game film a bit more. Turns out that even though we only had 21 assists, our guard play was really a lot sharper than that. We attempted 34 free throws, largely the result of the ball getting inside where it belongs, and our guys getting fouled on their inside shot attempts. Even though there is no assist rewarded in these situations, you can certainly count good post feeds that result in free throws to your assist totals when you really want to know the full story of your guard play. 21 assists, a myriad of feeds into the post - mostly solid ones, against 15 turns. First mention of responsibility for that goes to the starting point guard for this game, Siva. Billups did not play in this one. (I ended up giving credit to Siva and Billups last game for this since they shared 50 / 50 the starting point guard duties.) And of course, with an assist to Bynum who had 9 of those assists to just 3 turns while feeding the post himself quite a bit.

And oh yeah, Smith could absolutely play guard for us. He is that good of a passer. Lots of good passing from Smith in this one.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    BallDon'tLie and Laimbrane like this.
  19. Laimbrane

Jesus, Lee... Get off Bynum's d**k for once!

On a related note, beautiful objectivity and nice write-up.
    basketbills, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Screwing around with the NBA.com filters to see what I have to do to get each guy to the top... or at least near the top.

Preseason:
    Bynum-
    Only 2 players averaged 7 assists or more per game: Will Bynum in 29.2 min/game and Chris Paul in 29.7 min/game.
    Of the 16 players who averaged 5 assists or more per game, WB had the highest FG%. WB12!

Drummond-
    He was the rebounds per game leader in all of pre-season at 12.0
    Of the 12 players who averaged more than 8 rebounds per game, Drummond had the highest FG%. He will lead the league soon in rebounding and efficiency.

Billups-
    Only 4 players averaged at least 2 treys a game and at least 4 assists: ROSE, DURANT, CURRY, Bup Bup. Pick your poison crew.

Smith-
    Only player in the NBA preseason to average at least 1 block, 2 steals, and 4 rebounds per game. Athletic presence.

Siva (this is for Lee)-
    One of 5 players to average at least 1 steal, 5 assists, and shoot above 42% from 3-point land (others were Bynum, Collison, Irving, and Holiday). Pesky guys.

Monroe-
    One of 4 players to average more than 14 points, 6 rebs, 1 steal, and 2 assists. (Cousins, Love, Melo were the others). Renaissance men. Funny how Cousins is always there.

Pope-
    1 of 3 players to average at least 1 3-point make per game, 1.5 steals, and 0.4 blocks. (i.e. floor stretching defender!). Other 2 were... Josh Smith and Josh McRoberts.

Harrelson (this one is stretching it, but just having fun)-
    Only player in the league to average at least .3 steals, .3 blocks, and .5 offensive boards with less than .3 turnovers per game. What else does he possibly need to do to prove himself people?

Mitchell-
    Only player to average at least 1.4 offensive boards and shoot over 70%

Jerebko-
    Only player to average better than 35% from deep, 88% from the line, and more than 4 rebs. Sweet shooting big man.

Singler-
    Not saying he played poorly, but I can't devise any set of filters that puts him at the top unless maybe I go 7-8 deep. He just does a lot of things OK. But there are at least 30 other players out there that do any combination of them OKer.

Stuckey/Jennings: sorry boys, not enough data.