Pistons sign Jarvis Hayes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Aug 16, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Seems to be some conjecture here. See my post on what the Wiz players have to say about his defense.

:hoops:

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Not a bad guy to have on our roster. He has experienced some injuries in the past but he can score the basketball. His defensive skills are lacking, however, in Flip`s zone scheme he may not be exposed, maybe!

The only reason Hayes started ahead of Butler was because of an injury suffered by Caron.

3. Dlev59

That`s downright hilarious coming from the Wiz players. You are talking about a team that coudn`t spell defense, individually, or as a team!!

4. buddahfan

Seems to be some conjecture here. See my post on what the Wiz players think about his defense, but heh what do they know, they don't play D, so how would you expect them to recognize it when and if they see it? LOL

5. buddahfan

You what what, I think in the future I will rely more on your unsubstantiated opinion about a player's skills than NBA players. Seems like a logical think to do. After all, us Pistons Forum members are the experts.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tough to say whether or not this will be anything. You really can't judge his D by what he did with the Wizards. The good news is that it sounds like he has the defensive pride... which will allow him to be a good defender in our system.

For a semi-scrub (only started 17 games last year with an injured Gil), he shot the ball a ton in the playoffs; 46 shot attempts in only 4 games.

He is a decent 3-point shooter. Made almost 1 per game last year at a 36% rate.

85% FT shooter... but he never gets to the line, so it doesn't matter.

I guess that I would sort of categorize him as the new Maurice Evans... which isn't a bad thing.

7. buddahfan

Its hard to say how much his 2 knee injuries have hindered his development. Even though he played in all 82 last year that was the first year after his second major knee surgery and look at Maggs.

He played almost the full year last year, his first year back from major knee surgery and his knee was still weak. This year, his second since the surgery he is a lot healthier as evidenced by his hitting this year and he can even run this year, not fast, but still run. Last year he couldn't even run.

Dyess is a another guy with major knee surgeries who it took a couple of years after the last surgery before he was healthy again.

So I think it might be a little hard to judge what we have in Jarvis. Clearly the Wiz think more of Young than they do of Jarivs and to tell the truth I don't blame them.

But you never know, Jarivs was a big time star in college and he is just now entering his prime age wise, so I will take a wait and see attitude on him. I think, even worse case, he has to be better than Delfino.

I guess this means that Mejia will be in the D league most of the year, barring injury to Tay or Jarvis.

8. buddahfan

ESPN Scouting Report on Hayes from last October.

ESPN.com - NBA - SPECIAL PREVIEW EDITION<br>Wizardry to the power of Zero

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is he this years Flip Murray or Mo Evans? For the past few seasons we have signed these middle of the road twingers to back up our starters and be the 7th or 8th man off the bench and so far no one has set the world on fire.

Even the midseason aquisitions in C-webb, Tony Delk or Mike James have not been worthy enough in Joe's mind to be resigned. If Jarvis does have consistent injury issues, then maybe we should have just settled on Penny Hardaway :crutch:

On the positive note lets hope he does at 6'8 does provide a spark off the bench when Tay needs a blow and when the rookies...play like rookies.:sssh: The roster is full.. is it time to finally pull the plug on Dupree?

10. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

To me this is what I see Joes logic as. "Well we have all these young guys backing up our wing, but no one over 6'6. Lets get Jarvis Hayes a decently young, hungry guy who may thrive in our veteran structured system. Hey he was drafted 10th he can't be worse than Rodney white."

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't know Hayes' contract situation, but I am assuming this is Joe looking for a diamond in the rough.

This guy's FG% bothers me. He's not an efficient scorer.

12. roscoe36

You can say goodbye to Dupree or Murray. Possibly both. We're going to make roster space for another guy, a move to be made later. Just my gut feeling.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If the contract is small than this move is good. If he does not work out so be it, but Joe is trying to improve this team. Jarvis Hayes could improve this team. The Pistons can't depend on Mejia to back up Tayshaun, and the Pistons can't hope that Dupree has a break out season.

14. Dlev59

He is a streaky scorer. If he can stay healthy and get consistent minutes his scoring off the bench can help.

15. roscoe36

What's interesting is how this bench is being remade.

5 new players is nothing to sneeze at. Particularly when these 5 promote JMax and Amir to the front of the bench rotation.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think Dice will still be the first man off the bench unless someone gets better than him. Their are about 12 players who could provide a lot for this team, and their is only so much each of them can play. You are thinking correctly... a trade could happen.

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It could be true, except we don't know for sure how much the youngsters can provide for the team at this point. I'd love to see AJ getting double-doubles, J-Max getting dunks and blocks, Stuckey blowing by people. But it is the expectation, we'll see what the reality is going to be like.

18. FCBarca

FCBarca Second Round Draft Pick

For all the 'hype' around his stroke, he's never been a better than 40% FG shooter...He's streaky if nothing else.

Problem is he's both injury prone and a sieve on defense...Really can't understand how he gets selected when better options like Barnes, Udoka and Patterson were out there. :yellowprison:

And my guess (Hope) is that Hunter will retire to take up the roster space.

Nazr and Flip still need to get dealt.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I am not sure that Barnes isn't a product of a Don Nelson's system. Udoka hasn't shown enough yet, and Patterson is getting up there in age. I also think it was money matters and this deal is going to be for the bottom dollars for a young guy that wants to prove himself.

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ho-hum signing. We need a center.