Pistons sign Jarvis Hayes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Aug 16, 2007.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I wouldn't call it a ridiculous move. The Pistons now have a backup for Tayshaun. Every position is getting better except C. The move is not ridiculous, it's ridiculous that a better C is not coming here.

Lindsey is not going to be traded. Nazr, Flip, and Dupree are the most likely candidates to be involved in a trade for another C. As of right now their stock isn't too high though. I think a trade will have to happen in the middle of the season if the Pistons want a good C.
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Throw out the stats? What are we supposed to evaluate him by? His minty fresh breath?
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

My problem is, we already have players that wouldn't have been any worse than Hayes so why waste the money?
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Hayes is very likable. Don't confuse being likable with being good!!. Curry was and is also very likable.

:hoops:
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't really see this as a waste. I assume that the lineups will look something like this.

PG: Billups/Stuckey/Hunter
    SG: Hamilton/Hayes/Afflalo/Flip
    SF: Tayshaun/Hayes/Afflalo/Dupree
    PF: Sheed/J Max/Dice/Amir
    C: Nazr

I think that the lineups will eventually cut down to something like this.

PG: Billups/Stuckey
    SG: Hamilton/Afflalo
    SF: Tayshaun/Hayes
    PF: Sheed/J Max/Dice/Amir
    C: Nazr

As you can see Hayes will probably be used. I don't think the Pistons have a better backup 3.
  6. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Sigh. Don't get me started. Rip was my favorite player for 2004, 2005...2006. But as our offense gets increasingly iso, he doesn't get to shine. I'm not talking about his stats, I'm talking about his stature as a player who is at the top of his game playing from his strengths. It's just a shame to witness. Flip seems to squander the talent of his players. All in the service of his system of...what exactly?

Re Jarvis Hayes: I'm encouraged that ArmyGirl, Dlev and others who actually follow the Wiz think he'll be a nice addition. I love that I can access such a braintrust on our forum. Last year I followed six teams as much as I could with League Pass, but that's alot of basketball and I only caught a few Wizards games until the Playoffs.
  7. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

Really who? Certainly not Mejia- who was slated for the Dleage. Certainly not Dupree- whose proven that he is nothing more than a 13th man. Afflalo?- I love this kid and am high on him but he is a 6'6ish SG.

Atleast now Detroit actually has a SF who is not playing out of position and is not undersized.

Hayes is a solid role player, who is better than any other backup options at SF.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Almost 90 posts in less than 24 hours on the latest Piston aquisition. The real debate/issue is that we waited almost two months since the draft for the FA savior that everyone would be satisfied with and all we got is Jarvis Hayes who was not on anyone's wish list or potential new Piston list.

I understand Low's frustration since most of us had been looking for that key center addition and then Hayes name pops up.?? Heck we had at least two or three ongoing summer threads discussing Nazr and Camby so most of us were expecting/hoping/praying/wishing that Joe would surprise us with a new center before camp started. It's not to say that it won't happen, it's just that this move surprised all of us.

Since ArmyGirl and Dlev are endorsing the dude, then I say give him a shot as Joe and his scouts must have seen something in him. Maybe he needed to sign him because he is setting up a trade with someone else for the center position and needed to move Flip jr, Dupree and Nazr and Hayes would fill the void that left open by the departure of Jr and super dupe???
  9. FCBarca

FCBarca Second Round Draft Pick

I'm right there with ya on the Rip issue in Flip's 'system' of Offensive Genius :frusty:

I can't think of a more predictable offense we've had in place since the days of George Irvine
  10. FCBarca

FCBarca Second Round Draft Pick

Right about now, that's probably the only thing to be optimistic about I suppose...Wiz castoffs tend to flourish in Detroit.

Then again, I may not be a Wiz fan but from what I saw of Hayes, his best attribute was that he could shoot....We'll see I guess.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is a true positive statement and they have won rings too.

Maybe Joe and Hammond were reviewing the tapes of Wizards battling centers with a notion of possibly makin an offer and saw Hayes excelling in the background.................
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Fantastic posts FCBarca and LA Dre.
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Getting a decent center is probably on 90% of the teams list of things to do. They are just aren't out there. I am sure if Joe could do something to get someone to fill the position for the team he would.
  14. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

I am happy to have an opportunity to say I agree with Lee.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I was talking specifically about shooting percentage. But, if you want to hijack this thread to talk about Blalock, hey, find a Blalock thread. There is one.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The fact that Jarvis played James extensively, and well, in the playoffs, is well, a fact. What more can I say. If you missed it, you missed it. Note, this was at the end of a season where Hayes played the whole 82 game schedule as his knee steadily improved. (Anyone else recall how Jarvis Hayes did vs. James in those playoffs?)
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Try looking at his game log from last year. Look for improvement as the knee got better. Its not that easy to notice, but its there. Hayes steadily took more shots, and slowly improved his shooting percentage, and really stepped up his scoring average, as the season went on.
  18. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I understand the frustration over the lack of a move by Joe to get a C, but as I have asked before; Who is out there? Nazr is your typical NBA center. A guy who is big and is decently athletic thus hes in the NBA. Id say the majority of the teams in this league have Centers of the same ilk as Nazr, maybe they have different skill sets, but there are similar.

Pachulia, Pryzbilla, Foster, aging Illguskas, Etan Thomas / Haywood, Mikki Moore, Brezec, PErkins, .

The great, athletic game changing Center is not out there via trade, FA, or the like. Therefore, people need to stop chastising Joe D for not getting a C this year. If anything, this current problem stems from Darko not panning out (his fault, LBs, or Joe Ds thats another thing) or resigning / forcing Flip to play DD. Also, these Camby trades are all well and good, but it would take a starter to get him, and then we would be complaining about the lack of a player at the 2, 3 , 4 etc.

My point is that Joe D has done a decent job this off season and this signing is more indication of that. We now have solid back-ups that are not undersized at every position. Granted the PG may shoot to much, and the 2 guard may have a suspect jumper, but they are all legitimate, NBA quality back-ups. People forget this is not the MLB or NFL. PLayer's stick with their teams and player fluidity / movement is not as rampant. So in my opinion to this signing completely shores up the wing. Also, as people remember McDyess and Sheed are our centers, not Nazr--except for the first few minutes if that.
  19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd hardly call drawing a comparison to another player "hijacking".
  20. max

max All-Star

Himat - It does not matter to me if Sheed or Maxiel start at Center. Sheed does not like Center and Maxiel should be starting. Throw in Dyess and Maxiel/Johnson are going to have to play some center if they are going to play.

We do have 5 big men for next season. Is that enough? Should Joe sign some scrub and bench Johnson? I don't know but I don't think we are as thin up there as most think.

What we need and needed the past 2 seasons are a couple of guys to do some damage up close and keep the opponents honest on the offensive glass. Maxiel and Johnson can do that.