Pistons sign Jarvis Hayes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

He's got his own website so maybe he's as verbose as Mo was

2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Great perceptive comment. When you are under siege, it's back to the comfort level. I don't think this is the key to winning it all, but the collection of Hayes, with his upside potential, has always been JD's money pitch. His team has a very hard time with the youngsters (and who doesn't), but this is a solid pick.

JD's administrative team doesn't have good organizational talents, but his individual talent for the scruffs (stray cats) is second-to-none.

3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Not sure how he got dubbed a "Shooter". He shoots worse on jumpers than Delfino (82games.com), and has a lower FG% overall despite more consistent opportunities. And we all know Delfino wasn't a "Shooter". I guess I'll take the term "Shooter" as meaning he can't get to the rim :MusicBigGrin:

Anyways, If it's for less than 2 million and only for a year, I'm fine with the signing. I was never sold on Max/Amir/Afflalo/Dupree/Mejia splitting SF minutes.

Guess this means not much PT for Afflalo then.

4. Slippy

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Kapono can shoot better than most players in the league.

Blalock and shooting is an oxymoron. He couldn't put the ball in the basket if he was standing over it.

:hoops:

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Considering his career high for one game is all of 27 points in four years in the league and he did that on the road and not the VZ Center, I am not sure what you call lighting it up.

Even assuming he got 25 one night at the VZ Center, there are probably at least 10-15 times that a player scores 25 plus in any given week during the regular season.

Sorry, I don't consider even 27 lighting it up.

Yes I have no doubt that he could have hit something like 5 or even 6 threes in one night, but I believe Radmonovic has done that, and I know that you wouldn't be doing cartwheels if we signed him, like you are for us signing Hayes.

To me lighting it up means 40 +.

I just think that you like the guy, which is great. All the reports say he is a very nice and likable fellow. Maybe that makes him a two dimensional player; i.e., he can shoot and he is a nice guy.

NBA.com : Jarvis Hayes Bio Page

:hoops:

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

About your comments on his shooting, or him being a shooter. He can indeed hit a spot up outside shot very consistently. However, he tends to try and do too much, shooting a lot, and I mean a lot, off the his own dribble. And he misses them.

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

ROFLMAO, that's my Dlev. You are hilarious my d.c. brother.

9. armygirl

I guess sitting in the stands at a lot of wizards games don't count for squat I guess. Please, you deal with your ghost stats, assumptions, pontifications, worthless stats and figures and suggestions on what Jarvis Hayes shoulda, woulda or coulda done.

Secondly, don't know much about him being a nice guy, never met or read anything about him persoanlly and I don't get a paycheck or monthly allottment from him, neither do I know his mama, daddy or baby's mama.

I just know that the guy can produce in bunches, seen it, witnessed it and can write a short story about it.

Basically Buddah, I was responding to some forum members who wanted to know a little more about Jarvis with me being in the D.C. area and all.

Otherwise, let me be a little more specific with you, it was an A & B conversation, so can you please C your way out of it.

10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Does anybody here actually know Jarvis' Mom? I'd hate to make any speculations about him without at least knowing something about his Mother. Was he a good kid? Did he obey his curfew?

11. Slippy

Judging by the interview, if she didn't do right by him....she certainly didn't do wrong.

IMO his success will be tied to how well he acclimates himself to our system and how our players integrate him into the system. If our offense stalls and we go back to standing around...he's going to suck. If we move the ball and have cutters and other things freeing up a 3rd or 4th option...he could stick daggers in the opposing team.

12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

We still haven't done much to seperate ourselves from the pack. That is perhaps the most disappointing thing about this signing. Sure, we don't lose much but I was hoping for some big changes this year in order to make a run for the championship. So far Joe has opted to keep Flip and swapped out guys with potential for guys with potential. I haven't seen anything so far to suggest that our team will be any different this year. No one we have signed is good enough to push the starters for minutes. Still looking for something this offseason to make me optimistic that we won't continue our downward trend toward Minnesota-esque mediocrity.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Armygirl, I appreciate your insights on Hayes. It's nice to hear some comments from someone who has actually seen him play in person quite a few times. That's one of the great things about this forum.

Getting picked 10th in that deep draft of 2003 says the guy has some talent and potential. It sounds like 2 years of injuries set him back quite a bit and he could be primed now to prove himself all over again. I can't wait to see him suit up in a Pistons uni in the preseason.

14. Slippy

I second that. At first I was like: WTF! but I'm excited. This team has a great mix of wild card like young talent and get it done veterans. What other team can say they got lottery sized upside with playoff calibre experience.
    last year I was all about seeing the team erase their nosedive and compete like champs. This year, I figure I'm just along to see some dynamic team chemistry

15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I can't wait to see him suit up in a Pistons uni during warmups. :MusicBigGrin:

16. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I know there is a long time till camp but I'm begining to think Joe is willing to forego the C-spot for now. His stated goal was to get someone who wanted to work down low. Maybe with the unforseen commitment that JMax has shown toward improved conditioning & low post game Joe has taken a wait and see attitude, allowing him to address issues at other positions.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Looks like Joe just wants status quo with his precious starters...........

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The more I think about this signing, the more I like it.

Hayes gives us a backup with experience as a starter.

He's young and may have untapped upside.

He's cheap and he has the potential to get hot, eating into Tay's minutes.

I like this signing. It's by no means important, except if there is an injury, in which case, it becomes VERY important.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It's an insurance policy that only cost $1.2 mil for one year. No biggie. If he comes through - it's a find. Otherwise, no loss.

20. armygirl

MARK THIS POST.........Remember where you heard this.

Jarvis Hayes will be one of the best pick up in YEARS. The guy has a very sweet shooting touch and is pretty darn decent defensively too.

He is gonna be a very exciting player to watch this year, you can take it to the bank.