Pistons sign Kwame Brown to Two Year Deal

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 28, 2008.

1. jeff34412004

jeff34412004 Second Round Draft Pick

i dont care if he is considered "cheap"... this guy has been given alot of money last 7 years. amazing someone worth so little is living like a rock star
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Don't blame Brown for the way the system works. Amazing any pro athlete gets what they do. Amazing teachers and cops get so little. But they do. Doesn't affect Brown's value to the Pistons one way or another.

Oh yeah...why should rock stars get that much? :)
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

LMAO. We suck. We thought Nazr's hands were bad. This is going to get ugly.

Joe has lost it. You give him maybe a 2 million dollar deal to be the 5th big. Not 4 mil per year. Now, Curry can't NOT play him. Would have MUCH rather had Ratliff back sadly.

This has to mean that something is in the works.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The article says
    Who besides Chauncey are on the list of former lottery busts turned productive??? I want to know if this a bogus statement or one made to make the fans fill good about the signing. Gimme some more names

As stated I am happy with this signing, I just hope that since it came out of left field, Joe didn't panic like he did two years ago and sign the last man standing to appease the Pistons fans who were becoming antsy about missing out on all of the FA activity. After all, with all of the rumors floating about them obtaining Posey, Maggette, Biendrens, Artest, Melo, T-Mac, JSmith and even Bret Farve, why didn't we hear about this one from Chad Ford, Chris Broussard, David Aldridge, Woody, the PTI guys, or our own Chris McCosky?

Hopefully Kwame is Motown early to do some unofficial workouts and somebody sends him tapes of Ben Wallace and the Pistons play during the LB (Finals) years. Low and Lee, I am expecting you too handle that...:sssh:
  5. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Lol .
  6. hanzosword

hanzosword Second Round Draft Pick

7. max

max All-Star

This is nothing more than being along the lines of a typical Jarvis Hayes, Flip Murray, Mo Evans type of signing. Only this time its at a different position and hence was a bit more expensive.

At least its addressing a need. We are flooded with 6'9" PF's but no real centers.

I was hoping for Okafur, maybe that will still get done - I don't know. I doubt it but who knows.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I would rather have Brown for a little money than Odom or Magette for a bunch of money. Kwame was a bust for the Lakers. His biggest problem is he does not have good hands and therefore his scoring potential down low may be a problem. But he CAN body up on a defender. We don't have anyone other than Sheed who can do that.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Once I saw the length of the contract I was content. I'm only seeing positives here as long as we don't expect him to suddenly start playing like a No.1 pick.

Firstly, this is probably the first time he will be playing for a team that doesn't expect him to be a superstar.

He is coming into a veteran team environment, if Sheed takes him into his happy house who knows what he can become.

He will shift some pieces back to where they belong. (Sheed at PF, Dice at bench). I don't think his lack of P'n'R defense will be such a burden. Sheed is good at it, so he can play D on the mobile big (if applicable) and Brown can stay at home. This should also allow Sheed to stay out of foul trouble as well.

2 years @ $4 mil. Big deal. Works for me. As someone said, I'd rather Brown at this price, than Diop at his with his contract length.

Dude, we've never had a backup for Tay! I've stopped hoping.

Word.

Yeah, maybe this person got confused. But check this list out for current Pistons and where they were drafted.

Brown - 1
    McDyess - 2
    Billups - 3
    Wallace - 4
    Hamilton - 7
    Hunter - 10
    Stuckey - 15
    Dixon - 17
    Ratliff - 18
    Prince - 23
    Maxiell - 26
    Afflalo - 27

That's a lot of 1st round picks on one team. Although Dixon, Hunter and Ratliff are all question marks.
  10. max

max All-Star

Reading more of this. The one wild card here is that Kwame has spent much of the past 3 years injured. So if he can get healthy then maybe there is some untapped talent left. There is a chance that this could really work out for us.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good thoughts Webz.
  12. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

I don't mind the deal, was a bit shocked at first, but have since come to realize this is just a 'role' signing, where Brown fills a void, and will be expected just to come in and do his role for the team, nothing more, nothing less.

Here's hoping to him becoming somthing better than what he has been previously, but I think the good thing is here, none of us are expecting it, which will make this an excellent signing if he somehow surpasses our expectations.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Some people in here were pretty smart.

I know we talked a lot in the forum about signing Giant Turd. And now it happened!
  14. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Correct, he's pretty much a younger/worse/potential having Dale Davis/Elden Campbell/Theo 'role player'
  15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

We are adding depth in the front court so I am cool with this deal. It is addressing a need. Pickings are slim at center anyway so you really can't complain about this signing. However, as far as a infusion or a big shake up I hardly think this is going to jump start the Pistons.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think a more accurate statement would be the Pistons have been the best at turning journey men into productive players. Now the reason these players are unwanted is different.

Chauncey was not a true PG, he did not live up to his #4 draft pick status.
    Rip was poor defensively.
    Tay was overlooked in the draft.
    Sheed is very volatile
    Ben was just not good enough

Now Kwame Brown is little bit more extreme than these guys in his failures to live up to the hype, but we need a big man to help Sheed defensively. This is maybe the best we could of done free agency wise at this price. Plus there is always that possibility that he somehow turns his career around here. He was a #1 pick for a reason.
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Remember how much of a problem you had with Rebraca, and how he didn't "bring it"?

Kwame makes Zelly look like the hardest working man in show biz. Zelly's the Serbian James Brown when he's standing in the same room as Kwame.
  18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Kwame's history is that he always improves his team...when he gets traded somewhere else for someone way better than him. Is that what Joe has in mind here? ;)

People have made good points about Kwame possibly filling a small role instead of having any pressure to be the man, and that you're probably going to have to pay about that much to get anyone else for that role.

Still, the guy has such a bad history that I'm not seeing a lot of upside to bringing him in. There have got to be some negative vibes with having someone around who was that notorious a failure, easily one of the biggest busts in NBA draft history.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

All this signing shows is that Dumars has a LOT of confidence in Curry being able to turn things around. The last thing Curry needed was another lazy player who doesn't know how to give 100%....At least our other players HAVE a "switch" to turn on and off...
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That, or Joe has been drinking the Kool Aid, and thinks that Curry can reform every sort of lazy malcontent.

I'm just sayin', it wouldn't be the first time a GM has put too much faith into a coach with whom he had an on or off the court relationship. I mean, that has basically been the entire modus operandi of the Minnesota Timberwolves under Kevin McHale.

It is very rare that a rookie coach can make a bad team better than they are. Not saying the Pistons are bad, but picking up players with issues, and hoping they will reform and produce....

On the other hand, I sorta like this deal because all of the pressure is on Kwame to save his NBA career. If he washes out in Detroit, he'll never get a long term deal again.