Pistons sign Kwame Brown to Two Year Deal

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Lovin' it!

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

OK, so here is some analysis of the deal, and why I like it the more I think about it.

Kwame has two years at around $4 million each, with the second year being a player option.

So if Kwame does poorly in the first year, he likely takes his player option and gets traded or he sits and expires, or he somehow still gets a better deal.

If Kwame does well in his first season, he either takes his option, denies his option and pursues free agency, or renegotiates with Detroit.

Why this is good for the Pistons.

Let's assume that Kwame is valuable, perhaps even a starter at the end of the first or second year. This scenario applies whether he takes his option after year 1 or not. So, now he is looking for a payday.

But because the Pistons only signed him to a two year deal, his options for a large payday are limited. It's unlikely short of an amazingly productive stint in Detroit, that he will be on the radar of anyone who can spend more than the Mid-Level Exception (average salary), which most seasons is at best 2 or 3 teams. Most teams are capped out and can only offer the Mid-Level for other team's free agents.

In this regard, the Pistons will be able to sign Kwame to a better deal than most after 2 seasons, and a solid deal after 1. The onus is almost entirely on Kwame to perform in his first two years. If he does, he gets paid and the Pistons have the best chance of keeping a young big man.

If he does not, the Pistons aren't much worse for the wear and Kwame screws himself out of future earnings.

3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I've been hearing this talk lately about Rip being a good defender. Are we talking about the same Rip that plays for the Pistons or Rip Taylor? What I can recall is anyone and their Grandma being able to drive the lane on Rip at will! Especially, against the Celtics in Game 6! Maybe he's better than he showed in that game but my memory is only allowing me to recall the most recent games and his defense was far from good. He does a good job of pestering the other teams gaurds on the perimeter but to be honest most of the time he's fouling the s*** out of them.

4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Thanks for translating what I've been trying to say into coherence.

I like everything in this clip.

YouTube - Kwame Brown Punks Boris Diaw

and this one.

YouTube - Kwame Brown Facial on Andres Nocioni

5. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

From watching these videos you see some similarites to young Dyess, hopefully Dyess and Kander and being in a good environment will help him out.

6. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

The guys an athlete we can at least agree upon that. So what does this do for our roster. I really think Kwame has a chance to start and wasn't brought in to be the Theo / Dale Davis role. Don't you think his agent would have asked Joe D what is role was and if it was 5th Big would have said no to the deal. There are plenty of teams with needs at center that could have offered him 10-20 minutes minimum at only 4 million a pop. Someones gone or Max / Amir will be seeing time at the 3.

Remember, he is 26 and still needs to produce to earn more contracts. He wouldn't be satisfied rotting on the bench during his "prime."

7. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Keith Langlois just posted this article about Brown.

8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We are not asking him to be our savior. We want him to clog the middle and grab some boards. We have never been a "post" scoring team and the NBA is getting away from that style of play. With the "no touch" rules in play it is easier for your wing players to get to the line by using a good jab step and up-fake.

Samb may be 2 years away from being the solid contributor we need. This helps us bide that time with a big body. We will no longer be bullied underneath because we are undersized.

If we pair him and Sheed on the starting line we have size and Sheed's help D. That allows AJ and Dice/Max to pair up off the bench and run with the second unit.

We helped Nazr with his "stone" hands and maybe the motivation will be there for Brown to improve. He will be on a true "team" for the first time in his carreer.

I am intrigued to see how this plays out.

BTW, we drafted Tay's back up this year. I think this fills all our needs. Now we can get the season started and make changes in February if necessary.

9. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

I think this article pretty well tells us that Sheed is staying. I think Joe signed KB knowing that he could at minimum fill a role and with help maybe more than that. MJ absolutely destroyed this guys confidence and Phil Jacksons habit of beating up his players in the media certainly couldn't have helped. The Pistons appear to be the perfect storm for KB. From the Pistons perspective, it is a fairly low $ (for a center) and I believe Joe wanted two years (thinking trade asset if we don't like him), KB wanted one year in case he didn't like it here, we split the difference. Solid signing IMO.

It also is starting to feel more and more like a trade is coming involving Chauncey and/or Tay. Interesting to see how this all goes down!

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Kwame Brown come on down! You're the next contestant on the Price is Right.

This is a no risk signing. If it doesn't work out, his "valuable" expiring contract can be moved for some other stiff who can't help them when they need it at the deadline.

Aside from his hands, the rate that he racks up fouls will make Amir seem careful.

Pretty sure Dyess can body people up down low also.

Not only did they sign a Giant Turd, but it is a Brown one at that. Yes!

11. Bustamove

Bustamove Second Round Draft Pick

Found this article on Kwame: Good article on him, IMO. If Diop got the MLE, this is a good signing.

RealGM: Goaltending - The Book On Kwame Brown

I live in DC, so I followed his saga. I think this is good signing for us. No pressure on him, and he is no longer the savior of a franchise. Next to Rasheed, he will be fine. He will defend the bigs one on one, and can seal off his man while sheed and the crew cleans the glass. He is also an unselfish player, and most of his beef with Arenas was due to the ball hoggin' trio of Arenas, Hughes, and Jamison. Hopefully, he did put in some work this summer since he was not injured.

12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I think I believe you are correct. He's gotta be. But, I have to give him credit for moving up a notch from a #2 pick that thinks he "deserves" PT to a #1 pick that thinks he "deserves" PT.

13. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

Now that I have calmed down a little bit I have a couple ideas that make me feel better. This is a good contract for a center, Nazr would have been good for this team if he had this contract. I think Maxiell is going to start with Rasheed, McDyess will play most of the min. behind them making Brown the 4th man in a 3-man rotation. He only has to be better than a 40 yr old Theo Ratliff to be an upgrade in talent. ( I'm sorry, I like Theo, he's just too old )

Also, this is both a test and a learning experience for Mike Curry. Let's see how he handles a head case, there is no one else on this team who will challenge his coaching abilities in the same way Brown will, and it provides the depth needed to take min. away from other players who might want to slack off from time to time (Rasheed).
    I know some of this is wishful thinking but I am trying to cope.
    :fingerscr

14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I think Brown is actually capable of starting against the big centers. Dyss is not a center and uses up way too much energy to man that position. But Kwame is too slow for power forward given the Laker experience. He is not much of a scorer. What he is is a big body who can hold up against an opposing big. Not particularly quick on rotating and only a fair rebounder. But what he brings, we don't have--a young big who can actually hold up in the middle.

15. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Would anybody here state that K. Perkins and Big Baby were put in the line ups to carry the scoring load?

He is what we needed if he can stay healthy and focused. He could be the Perkins/Baby we never had. Only time will tell if it helps.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

the unfortunate thing is that those things are always in question.

17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If he could stay healthy and focused he wouldn't have ended up here.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

With K.B.(aka G.T.), we have a #1 overall pick that plays like a 2nd rounder.

Hopefully, one (or more) of our 2nd rounders will play like a #1 overall pick.

19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I think NBA GM's have absolutely lost it. Diop signs for the full MLE for 5 years. I wouldn't give Eddie Curry the MLE. Heck if Kwame is worth 4mil, Diop is worth 5.5 a year, Nazr has got to be worth a cool 7 or 8 mil.

Have to wonder, with Boston winning with real centers, if the small ball era is about to end. Perkins, an ok center, looked like an All-Star against Detroit and LA (until he got hurt) because neither team had a big guy that liked to play in the paint. JMax and Dice were too small, Gasol played too soft.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why didn't you just ID him under his real name Pau Gasoft :nerd2:

We allowed a lot of players to get one tha game allstar status by allowing them to sail in the paint uncontested with an array of aley oops and dunks or post up our smaller guys and abuse them. Need to get Bob Lanier out to the palace or the Kronk Gym to make sure that his skills and toughness are there by x-mas..