Pistons sign Mohammed

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 4, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Mohammed 4 years, $25 million.

2. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Thats worst than the first reported offer, 4 years $25 million is $6.25 million a year. The original report was 5 years $25 million, $5 million a year!

3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Got back from vacation to hear this depressing news :( Don't know what to say except that the Pistons are no longer the favorites to win and better get ready to "BEN"dover if Joe can't make any significant sign and trades. No more tough defensive presence down low, teams will have a field day against the Pistons. Hopefully the team will look better than it does now by the end of summer. Too depressed to see that the Pistons couldn't keep him or at least have an immediate Plan B which would partially attempt to preserve the status quo. More time for JMax and youngins.

4. max

max All-Star

I don't really like this. What are things comming to when a guy like Mohammed gets over 6mil/yr? The trend for the past 2-3 seasons is having to bid 20-30mil contracts for average players. The talent is so watered down that there is always going to be someone out there willing to pay whatever for whoever. To make things worse the highest/dumbest contract is used as the standard by all other FA's.

Nazeer Mohamed is a clear signal that Dumars system is not working anymore. Now we are going to be locked in with all these multi-million deals for Mohammed, Dyess, Hunter,... that we are not going to be able to get anyone decent without exceeding the lux tax.

5. mjfeld

mjfeld Second Round Draft Pick

actually we tried to sign joel pryzbilla but got turned down according to insidehoops.com

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What were we supposed to do after Ben's decision?... he got the gold mine and we got the shaft.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope Ben has the worst time of his life in Chicago:heh:(winning wise). Funny how quickly things can change:ohwell:.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Anyone know when or how the NBA refigures the cap? Seems like they are going to have to raise it pretty soon or no one will be under.

I'm trying to be positive about Nazr. He's no Ben Wallace, but he's our no Ben Wallace.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The cap is set at 51% of Basketball Related Income. It can go up or down year to year based upon how well the league does. The luxury tax is set at 61%.

You can read about his at Larry Coon's Salary Cap FAQ.
    http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#13

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I checked in with the Spur fans. They say Nazr doesn't go where he should on offesne and he has worse hands than Big Ben himself. Some spur fans think he'll do better here than in San Antonio because he might get more minutes.

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

On some nights it seems opponents were having their way in the paint against us. But you're right, the defensive identity will likely be gone with Ben gone. I wonder what the new identity will be.

12. anakin

Agre. But now there isn't even a threat of harm!

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Maybe not. Since we had Ben we chilled a lot of times and took Ben's D for granted. Now we don't have him and if the players want to win they should work harder on defense.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Re: [Nazr Mohammed] Cornrows or Afro?

Yep. Spur fans say he has worse hands than Ben unfortunantly too.:frusty:

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Himat, I watched SA a lot this year since I expected playing them. Plus we all saw our own SA-Detroit finals. The guy has limited game. His shot is inconsistent from even 10 feet. He is slow of foot and does not match up with the faster pace game of today. He is an average rebounder and defender at best. I would rather go with a Davis and give myself some time to re-coup. It looks like a decision of desperation. I would be surprised if he plays out his 4 years here.

How long are Sheed, Dyss and Billips going to be here? One more year? Anyone venture to guess how far we get in the playoffs this year? And then? The pistons were great because all our guys were exceptional and we always looked for exceptional talent. Nasr does not fit this category. If we are going to go down the path of a partial rebuild, I don't think he will be the answer.

16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Second-round knockout unless the bench blossoms and/or Joe makes a deal near the trade deadline. If Flip can get them playing good ball in April, that'll be the key, but I have zero confidence in Flip.

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Max, Stern's NBA has destroyed Joe's system. The Piston championship, I fear, will go down as an anomally. Joe got 5 very good players BUT: (1) the rules changed to favor young slashers and (2) the way the NBA works these days--there is no way to sign all your guys once you get good and the Pistons got very good indeed. The solution: get a young star and lock him up and build around him--the anti-piston model.

We lost two legitimate years on our championship run.

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yeah man doesn't sound to good. If he can give us 10 ppg, 7-8 rpg, 1-2 bpg, and work hard it will make Ben leaving a little worse. Nazr just won't be Ben though and we'll need more people to step up to fill that void. If 3-4 bench players step up and so does Nazr we'll start to regroup. We need some luck though right now.

19. anakin

Why did Ben feel disrespected by the offer? 4yrs/48M is a lot of $$ for essentially a very good one dimensional player. Maybe the Pistons could have gone to $52M but the salaries that are being thrown about are getting to be ridiculous, 5yrs/64M for Peja??. No hard feelings, Ben gave his best for many years and its time to move on. The Pistons got on without Hill and I guess they will figure out how to move on without Ben. With a better bench the Pistons probably could have had another title to their name with the same/old (feels funny to say that) starting 5. I guess the writing was on the wall for several months, especially with the hiring of Tellem.

Joe has fallen behind in his replenishment of the team IMO.

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

gazoo, that is what I would guess today--the second round. If that happens, how long are Sheed, Billips and Dyce going to be here? I fear we are headed for a re-building but are not calling it that. Signing Nasr is not a re-building. The Lakers still don't admit to fans that they are re-building.

Tay and Rip are our young core. If the second round is where we wind up, then I want to see a lot of Maxiel and Johnson. Let's see where we really stand.