Pistons sign Mohammed

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 4, 2006.

1. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Guys which other half decent center was available that could provide starting minutes? I doubt Davis could start for a whole season.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

This may not be as bad as we think it is. Nazr tied alot of his career highs in individual games last year, when allowed to stay on the floor.

Personally, I think Pistons fans might end up being surprised at how effective Nazr can be, a real center, rather than a power forward filling the gap on effort and athleticism that is sure to be declining.

The only frustrating part is that the MLE is gone now. :doh:

Who's left out there that may settle for the Biannual?
  3. anakin

Can I sign up for a Mil and change?:laugh: I can ride the pine with the best of them.
  4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Re: [Nazr Mohammed] Cornrows or Afro?

I keep reading this... but here is a scouting report on Nazr from a few years ago:

...What might be Mohammed's strongest point are his hands. You throw it to him and you're pretty much guaranteed he's going to catch it. Defensively, Mohammed gets good position and gets his share of blocks. By simply being big, he's able to get rebounding position and body out his defender. In general, Mohammed has a terrific attitude -- his work ethic to improve his game and his treatment of coming off the bench early in the season are testaments to it.

http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1998_draft/Players/mohammed.htm

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

"Mohammed's poor hands made him turnover-prone, particularly when trying to catch dump-off passes from Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. He also sometimes tested coach Gregg Popovich's patience by being out of position defensively."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070106.1C.BKNspurs.center.16d674f.html
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

That depends on if your real name is Ronald Murray or Marcus Banks. :)
  7. anakin

Some positives from the article:

Still, when given consistent minutes, Mohammed usually produced. He's an effective rebounder and underrated scorer. In an important late-season game against Phoenix, he scored a career-high 30 points and took 16 rebounds. He also improved his free-throw shooting to a career-best 78.5 percent. Among the Spurs, only Michael Finley shot better from the line.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...said the recluse.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Hoopshype player profile:

6’ 10” 250 lbs

A physically gifted player... Excellent offensive rebounder. … Very good mobility…Has improved his offensive game… injury prone.
  10. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

I was shocked to see Nazr go to Detroit:doh: He is one guy I think lacks Piston DNA. Hope I'm wrong, but Pop had a reason for letting him go, not fighting to keep him, and also letting Rasho go. So right now we are without a C, but looking for Tim Duncan fill in C position. Kinda like no Center is better than what we had. Actually, Nazr made more playing for Spurs (5.5 mil) and getting 5mil in Detroit. Maybe I read it wrong.

I think we looked at Joel Pzilla(?) guy, but he wanted 5 years. The guys left in the pool have either already reached their potential or are projects, according to Spurs.

So, still hoping for Piston Spurs rematch....in my lifetime:laugh:
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

San Antoine, that is what I have been saying loud and hard: Nasr is not Piston's DNA as you put it. He is not in our athletic mold. Right, I watched you guys a lot this year as I expected a re-match. As you say, Pop was not happy with either of your centers.

I too hope for a re-match but it could be a while now. You guys still have those top three guys but you have to get younger with the rest of the team.
  12. max

max All-Star

I am not expecting much so hopefully I will be pleased.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

meh. dunno why we needed to give him 4 years. i think he'll be better than most people are expecting, and better than if przy came here.

most likely Mason had input into the decision, as there is no effective way to yell out joel przybilla's name, but NAZ-EEEE is quite fun and you can do a lot with it.
  14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

me neither, should have been two years max if we are embarking upon a blowup and rebuild
  15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Best arguement I've heard so far to justify this pickup. :mad:
  16. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

frank williams
    anthony goldwire
    me
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

He'll be a favorite whipping boy for this board I can tell already. Because he's NOT Ben. I think that's unfair. Really unfair.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think so G69. If he rebounds and plays hard, folks will embrace him.

He does face an uphill battle though because our perimeter defense has been lousy and many times he will be the guy having to decide to switch and give up his man or concede the layup.

It would really help Nazr if some of the other starters raised their game. If Tay could keep rebounding like he did in the playoffs. If Chauncey set him up for easy baskets off of penetration, and if Sheed didn't make him the sole offensive rebounder.
  19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I agree. This is why I feel Joe should take a long hard look at Marcus Banks for backup point duties. Banks' weaknesses may be hidden in Flips system, where any point guard stepping in should have an improved assist/turnover ratio.

What I like about him is his quickness and on ball defense, and his ability to penetrate. All things that the Pistons need.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I've been doing a little research on Mohammed and actually some of it is very encouraging. This is an autobiographical sketch I ran across:

"As far as actually playing basketball, I have played a lot more one on one vs. 5 on 5. Not bad actually. As far as 5 on 5, years of a couple times a week for a couple of hours of five on five during the winters in school gyms reserved by a group of guys. For a couple of years I lived in Kentucky where I played 6 hours of basketball every day of the year. About three hours of that was 5 on 5. One hour was cut throat as we awaited enough players to show up. Two hours was just me practicing. How good was I. I was always the captain of one of the teams, as the best players were the captains. Back then, about age 25, I had not developed any post up skills nor did I have a decent jump shot. But I could hit a set shot from half court. Regularly. I had to be guarded as soon as I crossed midcourt. What made me the best player out there was my defense. At 6-10 and able to run well for hours at a time, I was simply a pest to whoever their best player was. Constant practice made my never coached shooting pretty good. Again, no decent jumper, so if a decent player guarded me I could not get a shot off. However, in rebounding situations, or if I could lose my guy on a pick, I never missed. From under the basket, to way out, I never missed shots. I practiced those shots a lot."