Pistons sign Mohammed

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jul 4, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nazr certainly lacks the skills, but I haven't seen him loafing.
  2. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Right now Nazr is going to be a very sought after back-up center for teams wanting to make a trade to strengthen their hand. The upside for Nazr is he's healthy, a hard worker, can rebound, block shots and score a little. He doesn't need the ball and he's a good teammate so Joe Dumars needs to work his magic and get the best deal he can out of a player with so much positives going for him. I'm not completely sold on Bonzi Wells who is not in basketball condition, has an attitude problem and is talented but will not be a starter on this team. The psychology of once someone wants something others want it as well (think shoe sale at Saks) should work in the Pistons favor. So Joe needs to wring out the best deal and throw in Flip Murray as a pot sweetener and get back a really great back-up point guard. Anyone watch the Lakers/Dallas game last night? Anthony Johnson was fine as frog's hair in that game hitting all his shots, running the offense and just playing hard. That's the kind of player the Pistons need. Plus Anthony Johnson looks like Vinnie Johnson and he would fit in really well on this team.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sympathy for Nazr: Please allow me to intoduce myself,
    I am a man with jumpshooting skills
    I've been around for a long, long year
    Stole many a fan's, hope and faith

As I understand, Nazr is EXACTLY what Flip's system was calling for. A center who can take a 12 foot face up jumper, shoot free throws, and grab the occasional O rebound.

Although I'm not going to argue that he is a great player, I will argue that he gets the shaft as Ben's replacement. He has failed as a replacement for our 4 time DPOY, Allstar, and team anchor. Who could possibly succeed. Plus, I am sure that even Ben himself would fail with this current team and scheme. The Pistons have been handing out free chili all season, and Nazr is just the summer hire ringing people up at the register. He may be doing a bad job, but he isn't the reason the business is failing.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't mind Nazr.

But I feel that because he is lacking a bit skill-wise, he could be hustling a bit more. He is a big guy, there is no reason he could not become an intimidator of sorts on the defensive end. There's nothing worse than picking up the soft fouls he does. He may be slow footed or whatever but at least foul the guy properly so he'll at least think twice about coming down the lane.

Have a presence man!

In an ideal world he would be playing 20-25 minutes a game. Surely its possible to not foul out in that amount of time. Study some film of Hakeem or Mutombo. The opportunity is there for him. I would love to see him work out in Detroit. He and Dale are the only true centres we have.

But maybe now its too late.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

Agree 100%. I didn't watch Nazr much in San Antonio or NY, so I'm not too familiar with his game. I wonder how much of his lack of defensive effort is the result of a system that doesn't seem to stress defense. Every time I have heard Flip speak, he talks about scoring, scoring, and scoring.
  6. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It might be that Flip concentrates most of his energy into the Offense, but you shouldn't have to coach hustle and energy.

And besides, you only play Offense up one end of the floor.
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Based on what he had to work around KG with in Minny, I thought Flip was an underated coach. But since he's been here , he's shown he can make good players BETTER players. See : Arroyo, Milicic, Evans, Delk, Cato, and now Mohammed,Murray, Davis AND HOPEFULLY NOT aCKER, mAXIEL, jOHNSON and BLAYLOCK. Flip will not be back next season UNLESS we win the NBA title. I'll say it HERE and now....
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yes you do!!

Nazr is an escape goat for the overall weak effort by the team. Yeah he doesn't have mad skills to mask it when the effort is not there just like almost every other Piston for the past few weeks so it sticks out.
  9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Can't wait until this thread is replaced by

"Pistons ship Mohammed"

Both Nazr and Flip Sr. knew they had large shoes to fill and the posibility of failure exists.
  10. max

max All-Star

AS far as I know Mohammed did ask to be traded. Wants to play more mins and with Webber thats not going to happen. He was even complaining about playing only 20 MPG.