Pistons/Sixers 1st Round Game 3, Fri April 25th 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This flame out is coming so much sooner than I could have ever imagined. This is truly amazing.
  2. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I think we lose this series. You could just see it in our vets' faces. They looked broken. Rasheed had no fire in this game, even when it was close. I'm sick of these guys. I envy young teams like Philly that play with energy, intensity, and a sense of urgency. As for our bench, Rodney is a horrible fit for our offensive system. Hayes only passes after failing to create space for a fadeaway jumper. The only play I saw ran in the third quarter was a double baseline screen-read for Rip. By the time the ball came out of our PG's hands, six seconds were left on the shot-clock. We didn't look cohesive at all. Our offense just isn't designed for playoff success. This is why Flip Saunders needs to go.Amir is probably never going to become a starter in this league. The guy has been in the league for three years, and he has shown minimal development. The core, we can only hope, is finished. I want youth and losing seasons, please. No more B.S. about Chauncey being a star PG, Rasheed's talent-- all of that amounting to a 'ship? Please. No starter on this time has the desire, heart, or will to beat Boston.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Do you still believe in starting 5?

Fire flip with players, thats what I'm saying. Firing flip alone is fool's gold.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sorry brother. Things aren't going well.
  5. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

The Stones laid a collective steaming pile w/ Flip leading the charge. They think they are a great jump shooting team when they have streaky shooters. CB is a blow hard and is most responsible for this debacle. The team goes where the PG takes them. Comparing these guys in any form or shape to the Bad Boys is a joke.
  6. Pwn Toney

With a coach that doesn't allow them to slack, absolutely. This coach has no backbone or strategy.
  7. b-diddy

b-diddy Second Round Draft Pick

im not sure flip makes it to the end of the playoffs. i swear i saw sheed taking a nap during half time, guys are arguing with him about rotations, during one time out chauncy was setting up the play and flip was outside the huddle like he was the 12th man on the team. this is not good

what else isnt good is iggy has been held in check all series. he's the kind of guy who could steal a game single handedly. if iggy does, that, gets philly a win where they should lose, pistons lose this series.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Flip needed to get to #12 to keep his job, but it looks like he's gonna have a hard time reaching 3, or even 2

I guess I can forget my hope for "forcing the issue"
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I missed this game all I have to ask is................................................WTF happened????
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

describe me, please how would you inspire full-of-themselves-millionares?
    Do you really believe that benching would help? (even then they think they are better)

Btw, my attitude towards our starting 5 was described one of first post I made here. Forumites took it so offensively that admins had to delete this post
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

AA/Amir were the only players with + and in 5 min.

:pound:

The players have tuned Flip out. Flip can't get over the fact that he's an idiot.

Hopefully, the players are tanking.

Afterall, you can't make adjustments in the post-season. You knew this game was over from tip-off. Tell me what well-coached team comes out looking like a/ they just woke up from a nap, b/ have no f'in clue what plays they are trying to run, and c/ continue to look comatose for long stretches, and still be IN the game.

I'm so glad we tried a new rotation for the PO's.
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Aside from Maxey and the rooks...
    I'm ready to fire/trade everyone but Kander, Abdenour, and Mason.
  13. Pwn Toney

I'm not an NBA coach, so I couldn't tell you how I would do that.

However, I know a $#@& coach when I see one and I'd rather find out how the new one inspires them than to do nothing and watch this crock of @$#@ continue.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

i wish i saw this, i was at a friend's watching the 3rd quarter not very closely, and turned it off after that. Can someone describe in more detail? Who was arguing?

Hey you know LB just became avaliable :stirthepot:
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Winning? Not really important to Flip. Shafting Dumars, very important to Flip. Retribution for making him play Afflalo and Amir during the season.
    Nobody is this bad a coach, unless they have an agenda totally unrelated to the game at hand. Which Flip does. I say it again, all he cares about is shafting Dumars.

Now for some details on this game. We reached the 4th quarter with our starters overplayed, and behind. And as predicted before the game started, what does that mean to Flip? Play his tired starters the whole 4th. Of course, the last few minutes or so were garbage time, so our starters did not play then. But if it had been a close game, you know Flip would have just played them the whole quarter. Despite what some very uninformed fans think, 33 year old basketball players, like Sheed for instance, can't play a whole game without decent rest. This game was lost for poor substitution patterns. Patters so poor as to be unexplainable, except by the thing about Flip wanting to shaft Dumars with all his heart, mind, and soul.

When was this game lost? The moment Sheed came back into the game with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter after a brief rest. That pretty much sealed the loss. The rest of the game was quite anticlimatic.

What were the Piston fans treated to tonight? Our future starts playing? Nope. Instead, we see an old Theo Ratliff play way too many minutes. Now, Theo did come in for a very brief stint toward the end of the 1st quarter / beginning of the 4th. He was quite effective there, in that brief stint. I was proud of Flip, for a fleeting moment, to see him use a player like that just about right. But then Theo played a whole lot after that. Old Theo. Old.

Didn't Dumars say after our last exit from the playoffs, lets raid an old folks home for the next playoff run. I know he said something relating to age.

Which brings us to Hunter. Great to flash into a game for a moment. That though is the extent of what he is good for. Hunter was just an excuse not to play Afflalo. Nothing more. Not to Flip. And look, this is really, really important to Flip. Not to us fans who like to see the Pistons win, but very important indeed to Flip's so strong desire to give Dumars the shaft.

To the fans who cheer Flip on as he gives Dumars the shaft, hey please change your ways. Dumars is a great guy, and does not deserve to be shafted so. Plus, there are a whole lot of us fans who really want to see the Pistons win it all this year, as they are very capable of doing.

Rip hit a bunch of shots. But this meant Sheed was doing no damage inside. And when Rip sat, Sheed was too tired to do anything. So basically, the old man was wasted as far as his offensive talent as he sat around and watched Rip shoot the ball.

Tay did some good scoring, inside and out.

Stuckey had a miserable game. Very miserable. He kept going inside and getting stripped. He did end up getting some points at the line, but we were way behind at that point. At least Stuckey did play a lot in this game.

Dyess suffered a broken nose. But we had not scored a bucket for quite a while, and Dyess had not scored at all as far as I remember, before the injury. No, Dyess getting injured did not lose this game for us. This game was lost, like I mentioned, early 2nd quarter, just by having Flip as a coach and not caring about anything but shafting Dumars.

We did cut Hayes out of the rotation. Stuckey played as Tay's backup instead. Hayes did get in for Rip when Rip sat with serious foul trouble. We did also find a function for Hayes. In garbage time, Hayes bricks one shot after another so the young guys who should be getting the shots can't show up Flip. Another very important thing to Flip.

Ok. Back to the fight. Dumars and Flip will be arguing something fierce between now and Sunday. Whose side are you on? Me, I am Dumars side. I want to see the Pistons win it all this season. What is your priority, those who still come around here and cheerlead Flip on?
  16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

You didnt answer to my question, you try to take cover:"I'm not NBA coach so..."
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I went out to get some Mongolian BBQ. Pistons game was on the screen. I glanced up...no surprise, really.

Guys, this is a blessing in disguise. They weren't going far anyhow. Better they should lose now and that way Flip is gone for sure. Plus maybe a little shake up of vets.

Really, I'm sorry for you guys who care so much more than I do about this team. You all deserve better my friends. But I think it's best to go out in the first round than to wait for a Cleveland or Miami (inferior talents) to knock us out. I'm not exactly going to root against Detroit, but I really think it's best to go out in round one if we can't seriously compete in the later rounds.

Flip sucks and the team needs a true player/leader too. Not a hot head like Sheed or an arrogant jackass like CB.

Sorry. Time for some changes. This team has become everything the 2004 team despised and destroyed on their way to the top.
  18. max

max All-Star

I am calling it now. Thats the line of the night..
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I just don't understand the change in rotation that won you game 2.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How many of us cringed when the refs allowed the Cavs to come back on the floor two weeks ago and beat the Sixers with those last 2 FT's?? What that did was push the Sixers into the 7th spot and it created a matchup that only few of us suspected would turn out like this (me, Low, Lpgrl to name a few).

The Pistons are better on paper, but the matchup was bad and that was apparent from the two losses the Sixers put on them in January and April. They came out aggressive and we came out lethargic with greasy palms. 12 TO's and 2-8 FT shooting was bad in the first half, but the defense was still able to hold the sixers to 44 points and we were facing just small 4 point halftime deficit.

The last time the Pistons were in this game was when they were down 48-46. After that the game was over, we just didn't know it yet. It was obvious based on their body language in the locker room at haltime that they were going to exhibit the same type of complacency that they did in the first half and once again they came out with little effort.

You are not going to win many games when Sheed and Billups are taking jumpers with reckless abandon and turning the ball over. Tay entered the second half shooting 6/7 from the floor and despite playing the whole third quarter took one shot, while the rest of the team was shooting bricks that at one point reached 14 straight misses.

Like Jon Barry said during his commentary, Flip should have sat the starters for a spell midway through that 3rd befor the lead got to 15 and tried his whole bench in there to wakle up the starters. How does ateam expect to win a game with 23 turnovers and 25 points in the paint?? They shot 61% in the first half and 22% in the second hitting 8 of 37 FG's???

They are going to have to win the next 3 to put this team away..any more victories by the sixers in the next two games and I think its over the Pistons, Flip and at least one or two of the starters