Pistons/Sixers 1st Round Game 3, Fri April 25th 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, Apr 24, 2008.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

That was nice
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Flip should have subbed in the zoo crew when there was 3:30 minutes left in the third quarter. We weren't down by too many and needed a bosst to get us over the top.

As usual; Flip missed that oppurtunity to make a "coaching decision" that could have had an impact on the game.

Instead he did nothing.
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Go to pistons.com and the first thing you'll see is "Home of the 1989, 1990, and 2004 NBA champions".

This whole organization is living in the past.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

I didn't get to see the game...I just checked the box...fugly

Out boarded 43-34

18 assists
    23 turnovers
  5. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Now that was not a picture perfect display of playoff basketball. The reason they make you play the games and don't hand you the championship is because upstart hungry teams are always going to be in the hunt to take down the favorites. Remember last year when Dallas got dumped by the Warriors? That's what this series reminds me of in a way, a young hungry team taking on the old warriors.

I don't see the Pistons playing with a mission and a drive to be the best they can be. Regardless of Flip Saunders and his weak assed playoff coaching strategy, this team is capable of winning the championship but also capable of a spectacular flame-out.

All that development of the bench just goes out the window once the playoffs start. I feel bad for Dice because he doesn't have a championship ring and he's worked so hard this year even taking on a starter's role to try and get that elusive ring. If it doesn't happen this year the window closes pretty fast because lots of talented teams are on the rise and the Pistons are an aging team.

Joe Dumars has a much hard job to keep putting together a quality team, he no longer has John Hammond to help him and what coaches out there are really any better than Saunders right now? I'm sick of seeing the same coaches on a revolving door being retreaded so pick your poison.

It's beyond me why Aaron Affalo is not getting quality minutes in the playoffs? This kid puts his heart and soul into every game and he's just the burst of energy the Pistons need.
  6. b-diddy

b-diddy Second Round Draft Pick

correct me if im wrong, i might be, but i think flip only called 6 TO's all game. it looked to me like he was scared to. like he didnt want to deal with the uncomfortable situation of trying to lead a huddle when the players have turned him off. kind of in contrast to when ric carlisle used all his TO's for the half in the 3rd qtr against us stop the bleeding.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I will wait to here the postgame comments. If one of the player says everything is still okay this series is over. The Pistons are about to lose in the first round.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Jon Barry for coach!

Seriously though, perfect time to send a message, and potentially make a big impact on this series. Of course Flip misses it.

As for match-ups, yea i remember all those comments about the Sixers causing problems. I hate being right if this is the outcome.

Everybody should tell Lee they're sorry. See he's not so crazy after all. :)

I guess it is a blessing in disguise. Flip will go, but the bad part is most likely the core will be broken up. I don't really see who you trade though. Dumars has been adament about keeping Sheed (thank god). Tay i wouldn't trade. Rip i might be open to, and all Chauncey needs is a coach that will tell him what do to.

I'm just over it. I want to see the kids play. It's so frustrating to watch.

edited to add;

You have to blame Joe D for this as well. This is obviously not a workable situation with Flip/some players, and has been allowed to go on for far too long. Wonder if Bill Davidson has Joe's hands tied.

I'm having an editing addiction;

Why is that Flip even manages to screw up rotations with his normal players. Rip's on fire so he takes him out. Theo's abusing Jason Smith, so he takes him out and puts him back in later at a less preferable match-up ?
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

judging from his pre-game and half-time speech, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
  10. Delfino Delivers

This play off run was done when Max (or Theo when he got here) was not given the starting role over Dice. We start every game with 5 jump shooters. We needed at least one post presence (of any sort) this year.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like how short this is. And your new badass avatar. :)

Why credit incompetence with malicious intent? And why assume Dumars is blameless? This is his coach. He hired him. These are his players. Joe's been here so long that with the exception of 2 of the 3 guys mentioned above by Cirrus, everyone in the org is his own guy.

This is the line of the night.

Oh man, make lee work for it. :)

What do you expect in the 50th season? These guys totally disrespect the legacy of the franchise, and Joe should be embarrassed. He should be making personal apologies.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Dice is the reason we won Game 2. He played his butt off again and if the Pistons flame out again this will be sad.

He has a broken nose now, so you might get your wish.
  13. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Flip's effed up rotation = :gun1:Seriously Flip, why screw with what was working for you the whole season? This team's tuned him out (perhaps completely this time). If we lose - or even if we win this series, we have to insitute some big time changes. Personally, I wouldn't mind trading any of the core 5 or Maxiell if that will get us someone decent - or maybe a couple picks. Needless to say, that means Flipper gets sacked. And is Flip the only coach in the league who could turn a solid personnel move into a terrible one? :yellowprison:

Perfect description, Tater.
  14. Delfino Delivers

What is this "Solid Personnel move" you speak of? :stirthepot:
  15. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

The team will not be going anywhere of the PG is playing w/ his head up his arse. Someone has to reign in CB.
  16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

It was maybe a game where nothing helps. I do not think that bench, except for stuckey and max, can do something. Keep that in mind that stuck and AA are rookies, AJ is technically rookie and rest of them are tryouts. Sure, you can give them some time but I do not believe that combination rookies plus tryouts are actually ready for PO level. With amir or AA or whoever( it really doesn't matter) on the court sixers could have extended their lead. I know this opinion is not what you want to read, but I do not care.

I agree with scoe, Dumars has some responsibilities too, as players and coach.
  17. max

max All-Star

I don't find too many things funny but that was hilarious.

I am going to wait and see what happends on Sunday. But yes something does not seem right about this year. The team just looks old and tired out there.

I don't think think any lineup change possible could have helped us out there with the way they played. 4-19 from Billups, Sheed and Dyess.

Yes we are the type of team that we would have hated 4 years ago. At least the Lakers had 3 titles to be arrogant about. 5 ECF's, we should have at least 4 Finals trips and a min of 2 titles. 3 championships would have been a successfull run, 2 would have been average. Only getting 1 is kind of lame. I appreciated that we did at least get 1 but when you look at all the thrown away opportunities, its not enough.

If it ends this year, Wasted opportunities will be how this Pistons era will be remembered.

We need some sharks. Some guys that not only want to win but want to destroy the competition in the process. Thats what you need for a sustained title run. I am just not seeing that anymore. They let guys like Gibson and Reggie Evans burn them and they don't even care.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I really don't understand this logic at all. AA and AJ are rookies so we shouldn't play them? We should just do nothing, or the same thing that causes us to lose?

You don't know if they won't make an impact, just like i don't know if they will. That's the point of playing players. And signs would point to them being productive if you just watched the season.

Thaddeus Young, and Lou Williams are rookies too. They seem to be doing fine.

Also, to expand on that, we are getting beat down the floor. I'm sure 20 year old legs are alot faster than 30 year olds.
  19. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

First thing I would do is call Larry Brown and ask him how much he want for HIS vaunted playbook.

Then, I'd actually use the plays in it.

Then, I'd start pulling guys for every pair of BS 3's they tossed at the rim.

Then, I'd BAN moving out of the way when players drive the lane.

Then, I'd BAN any comments about "knowing what to do" or "if it ain't rough" or "hitting shots"

Then I'd mandate that if a young guys goes out there and plays better than you mr. starter. guess what? YOU SIT until you start playing better than said young guy.

Then, I'd BAN zone defense from the state

Then, I'd fine players $500 for every time the lane was open and they faded for a jumper

Then, I'd encourage Sheed to get MORE techs.

Then, I'd NOT run the starters the entire 3rd qtr so they didn't have tired legs when I need clutch play in the fourth ( and don't give me any of this pro athlete crap. if you have muscles and consume oxygen, you get tired.)

Then, I'd try NOT being an idiot.

Then, I'd try NOT pulling the hot hand out of a game.

Then, Id try PULLING the cold hand out of the game.

Then, I'd ask for a raise.

That's just to start....
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Because our younger guys can't get put in there against Louis Williams (26 minutes), Rodney Carney (21 minutes) and Thaddeus Young(21 minutes)?

These are guys from their summer league team. And you contend that Afflalo and Amir can't get inserted into the game when these guys are on the floor?

I'll agree with you on a lot of points but not this one. Not for one second.