Pistons/Sixers 1st Round Game 3, Fri April 25th 7:00 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, Apr 24, 2008.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Good. Fire flip AND players or it wont work.

I think, our starting 5 feels a feel of impunity and when flip gets fired and nothing happens with starting 5, their feel of impunity only increases. Seems that dumars has not been able to tell them that they are not his "darlings".

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Rax, I think this is it. Unless we ignite and blast thru the finals, we have to dismantle the core. I'd keep CB, Sheed. Trade the rest for peanuts and picks.

3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I totally agree. Their is enough blame to go around right now. Flip, the players and Joe D. all have a role to play in it.

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Read all of your posts and I gotta say, that was more enjoyable than watching this game.

I doubt seriously that LB gets a job back here EVER. Way too much bad blood there between the owner and Brown. I'm not sure even Brown could motivate these guys.

I'm with 'Hog, Pistons still win this thing (probably in 7), but they're screwing themselves up for the rest of the playoffs with these tough first-rounders.

And if they lose in the first round, expect a different team next season. It will be Joe D's biggest challenge to dump the dead weight and replace it with something decent.

Hopefully, Flip will be the first to go. I think Flip should go if they don't push Boston heavily in the ECF. Probably too early to be talking about the ECF at this point though.

I do like how the media have been ALL OVER this team for being lazy. It makes me smile because we've all known it for a while and finally the media have picked up on it. Good for them.

5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

why would you keep cb?

6. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The media overhere had known it for a while too, we had only one lived Pistons game on TV since Jan. and none of PO game yet.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I usually agree with Slippy, even though he has developed the habit of being the dispenser of tough medicine.

But no way you keep CB. I am AND am not, picking on Chaunce. If he's the leader of this team as he claims to be, then the losses are on him, not Sheed, Rip or Tay.

It's not like he doesn't have talent around him, and he is in a position to directly involve them.

Philly is just too young, too energetic, too athletic, and too hungry. Last night, in Game 3 of the first round, the Pistons surrendered. From here on out, it's going to be ugly.

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am so disappointed in the way the pistons have played during this series, I can't even force myself to look at most of the game and as you have noticed, I can't even find enough strength to log into pistonsforum chat. I am thoroughly saddened by the pistons play in this series.

My greatest nightmare has come become my most obvious reality. I would just like to point out three key areas at work here. Again I am speaking for "self" and "self" only. In no way do these comments represent the views of pistonsforum.com. (smile)

1) "The Flip curse", he's never been able to get to the big dance, whether it is game planning, setting rotations, making key adjustments at the appropriate time, fear of failure, self-fullfilling prophecy i.e.

2) Last night they looked slow, old, disinterested and possessed absolutely no desire to win this game. Yes, they were outplayed, outcoached, outmanned and just totally OUT of it. If a picture is worth a "thousand words", I would love to know what Joe D was thinking when the camera flashed on his face last night.

3) Flip not utilizing the bench effectively during the playoffs, no Amir, Juan Dixon, Afflalo, Hermann, and to be perfectly honest, Flip's ability to utilize the talent on this team has always been suspect.

4) I am looking forward to next year because changes to this Pistons team is imminent.

9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

after denver loses to the lakers in the 1st round, ship CB back to his hometown and bring in AI

10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Even the most die hard LB haters are realizing they were wrong.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know it premature, but we can afford to let go the following Pistons personnel this summer

Flip Sanders
    Dave Cowens
    Lindsey Hunter
    Theo Ratliff
    Antonio Mcdyess
    Jarvis Hayes
    Walter Herrmann
    and one of the following three (take your pick)
    Rip, Sheed or Billups
    and Bill Davidson sells team to a Dave Bing and Bob Lanier conglomerate..:gun1:

12. max

max All-Star

CB is the least tradable though. if changes are needed in the off-season then good luck trying to move that contract. With CB we could have just re-signed the future most expensive 3rd guard in the league.

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

CB can be moved. Look at Jason Kidd. A team that thinks they just need that one player might make a deal for him.

14. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Chauncey Billups has got the fear. He is play is tentative.

In each Piston playoff run where Chauncey has been the man, the run has ended when Chauncey got the fear and the team imploded. This year Chauncey got the fear in game one, round one at the start of the second half.

The Pistons aren't lackadaisical or disinterested, they are struggling to play behind a leader who is choking. Did you see him come off of a screen for a wide open 17 footer, and miss the rim by 2 feet? Shades of Stackhouse.

But Chauncey can't be choking. He is Mr. Bigshot, he was the finals MVP.

Yes, but that was when Ben Walllace was the man. The problem is that Chauncey is trying to be something that he is not. He very badly wants to be the man but he isn't the personality type to be the man.

The long term solution is clear, trade Chauncey or bring in a player with enough cache to replace Chauncey as the team leader. Clear but not easy.

In the short term, I think we could beat Philly by starting Juan Dixon and banning Chauncey from the arena (the stink of choking must be quarantined). To be contenders again some other Piston needs to step up, call Chauncey out and take up the mantle of leadership. In retrospect I think Ben Wallace was a reluctant leader who saw this same thing happening in the Orlando series and couldn't take it.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wouldn't go that far, but at least dress Dixon and bring him instead of Hunter

16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I concur sadly. Last night when the camera panned the bench I had to blink a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing the faces of the Lakers when we beat them for the championship. It was a devastating loss for the veteran core of this team. Shock, disbelief and what looked to me like resignation. I hope they surprise me and come out and win the series, but I think there would have to be a very good psychological motivator like Phil Jackson (who lost that time in spite of his psychological motivating skills) at the helm of this team for them to pull this thing out now.

As for Chauncey, frankly I think he should be the first to go. Talented yes. Versatile no. A strong leader no. Someone in the Best Starting Four needs to be traded. Not just benched. They are so stale. Even in many of the games they won this season we were holding our breath for the bench to come in and save the day alot of the time.

The whole game reminded me of that Lakers series, actually.

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I personally don't think they aren't bringing it per se. And i think this whole "overconfident", "we are not trying hard enough" are just things they say because they are in denial about the fact that they are no longer dominant.

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Great Post. Pretty much summed it up.

And i agree with Roscoe, it's about to get ugly. You've given a young team all the confidence in the world, and your coach is inept at making any sort of adjustments.

I think the most disheartening thing is the Pistons looked defeated. They don't even fight back anymore.

20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I agree with most everyone else. Chauncey is the guy to go. Maybe try to get back a youngish center and good backup calibur PG and give the reigns over to Rodney. The time is now to change the mentality of this team.