Pistons/Sixers game 4 Sun Apr 27 7PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 26, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

I can never retrain myself from looking at the box either.

I would not worry about the mins. They will be fine. The whole point of this year was to rest the starters so they could play more mins in the post-season. I would like to see Afflalo over Hayes in this series. If Hayes shot is not falling then at least AA would give us better defense.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Going into tonight's game there were 36 players averaging more minutes in the playoffs than every Piston player.
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Honestly one game doesn't bother me that much, now if it's every game from here on out . . .

Also if Flip has shown a previous willingness to use the bench, i don't care if there are some nights like this.

edited to add;

Webber on TNT basically says we are delusional which allows us to be confident no matter what.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If anybody would know, he would. (About us, not about being delusional.)
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

While we make a big deal about minutes over the season long grind, minutes per game in the playoffs isn't important. Its more important to wrap up your series early than keep your minutes under 36 or whatever. Sure, there are things that should affect minutes like keeping guys fresh for the last quarter or playing the young guys to infuse some energy but if our core needs to play 48 minutes to win, then so be it. If they need to do that for 4 games, then they just gotta suck it up. but what they have to do is wrap up series' as soon as possible and not drop unnecessary games like game 1.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What I meant was right now I am at 75% confidence level that we will win the series. If we will Tuesday my confidence level or odds will go up to 95% surety, but not up by 95%:MusicBigGrin:

I hope that satisfies the mathematicians...
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good post LApistson...We want them to penetrate to open up both the Jumpers and the inside game, but they have relied so much on the J, they don't know how to finish at the rim when the penetrate.

What they need to do is either stop and pop or dish off to someone along the baseline...unfortunately that one is not in Flips' playbook and it maybe is to late to improvise
  8. max

max All-Star

After getting stiffed by Dumars I am sure he remains unbiased when he made that statement.

Thats alright. They play better when the media does not have their back.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre,

This series is undoubtedly over. It took us almost 4 games to figure out Philly. But now it is done.

We almost went down. Scary. The first half was like game 3. We drove into the teeth of their defense with Billips who got nothing. No surprise as that is not his strength. We went down low to Sheed who had trouble in game 3. Tay and Rip did not get early touches. Then, Rip tried to do too much as we were already struggling. Then, he too tried to drive and got stripped. Layup for them. 10 points down at the half. Thank goodness for Tay who has been remarkable.

The third quarter and Sheed came outside and bam, bam. The second half Rip was Rip with that sweet jumper game of his. Philly could not match this offensive outburst. They suddenly looked inept. They looked like we expected them to look. Yes, the defense was there but without the offensive adjustment, it would have been more of same. Then, yes, Billips had some room into the lane--to drive.

The question I will have is that did this experience strengthen this team by accident or does it expose our poor offense and possibly poor coaching to the opposition. Was it Flip who had the offensive game plan for the first half or was it the players? Who finally made the adjustment? Flip did tell the players at the half to relax and shoot the ball. A wise comment. But what took so long?

The next series we will have to adjust. Maybe they will come out on us causing other (old )problems (Cavs series). We do not seem to adjust very quickly: either the players or the coach or both. The bench cannot help us get over the hump if the key stars or coach can't get us near it.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think he meant it as an insult. Kenny was talking about how you have to be delusional on some level to believe that you'll win a series being down 3-1 and then relating a story about a conversation he/HO had on the team plane when they were down.

Webber was talking about how we are delusional, always have confidence, and that basically LH/Tay would give everyone the smackdown during 1/2 time, and they were leaders.

Also he said when he was in our locker room, he believed it too.

edited to add;

I can't believe no one commented on the halftime show. Webber basically said that it doesn't matter what Flip says b/c the starting 4 aren't listening.

The Pistons locker room; Where tuning out the coach happens
  11. max

max All-Star

lp. thanks for clarifying that. I watched the game on the local channel here, needed the pick me up.
  12. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Wow I'm glad I didn't turn that game off in frustration before the end of the second quarter. That's when the Pistons started to look like a different team. It's been said we have Good Pistons and Bad Pistons and never was that more evident for me in one single game than this one.

If the Good Pistons remain they still have a chance to look respectable in these PO.

Kudos to Max for being the voice for optimism. :)
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Yea this is right on point... to add it came out of smith talking about his houston rockets were that way when they came back from 3-1 to win the year they went on to win the title... It was a funny story. The Dream goes we'll win the next game, then there is no way they will come win on our court, then... they'll have soo much pressure in game 7 that we beat them and win the series... NOBODY but the team believed, but they did.

I think the big thing coming out of that though was its the first Time I have heard that Prince is the leader of that locker room with Hunter. Maybe I've missed it all along as I spend alot of time out of country and this is my connection to whats going on.

But Prince getting on folks in the locker room? Dang.... way to go boy... and look how he's played the last 2 games.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Interesting...usuallu billups has declared himself as a team leader. Coup d'etat in lockerroom? And losing game 3 reflected interregnum?
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Excellent take, LA. I was watching the game and thinking, "good, they are taking it inside... but they can't seem to get anything." Philly's post defense wouldn't let them have anything.

Rip driving the lane makes me yell at the TV. Give it up Rip! Give it up!

Nice to see them adjust and pull out the win. I agree that this series should be over now.
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Linwood,

Me too. I keep yelling in the first half "Shoot the ball." Then, "Oh, no" when Billips would drive in yet again to get lost. We were coming back in the 2nd quarter and this time Rip tries to drive from the top and they strip him. Lay up for Philly and we lose momemtum again.

It is conventional for teams, not just us, to say don't settle for the jumper. But if that is what is open, a good jump shooting team like us will not lose 4 of 7 taking open looks especially when the other team can't match our offense.

Is it the strong will of the players or a weak coach who can't adjust to what the other team is doing? Every game, every series will have a different problem. We can't wait that long to solve it.
  17. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Prince is the MVP so far in the series. I remembered he made 2 baskets right at the 24 second shot clock buzzer sounded off in the 1st half. Those baskets were huge. Other than the TOs in game 3, we played one heckuva series. His 'D' on AI2 is amazing.
  18. max

max All-Star

Swing shift: Pistons' third-quarter surge evens series with 76ers

Prince's defense haunts Iguodala
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I missed the halftime because like Max, I got the local feed.

I need more info on what CWebb said please....

Agreed. Great call to recognize Tay. He's actually been one of our better playoff performers in recent years, excusing the ducking under LBJ incident.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

after kenny said he bit about them coming back from there 3-1 deficit.....

Webber said that the pistons were of the same mind set, they believe they could come back, he was in there locker room and he beleived it.

He said that Hunter and Prince would be the two speaking up in the locker room at half time.

If taken out of context or not getting the whole story it sounds really bad. The only question of what he says is that the starting 4 has tuned Flip out.... does he know thats still the case or is that a rehash of last year where we know that happened. If its still a problem then Dumars has to send Flip on his way even if we win the next 14 games straight.

saying all that.... I am really beginning to think this team is coaching itself more and more.... (not that I thought Flip was a good coach, but think he could atleast use his eyes.) Players can't see "in the game" and make the adjustments on the fly that is what a coach is there for, That is my reasoning why its taking so long for the team to adjust.... once they seem to figure it out they play alot better... Lets just hope phili has no more tricks up there sleeves...