Pistons Summer League...in Orlando

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jun 20, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When Daye goes to Vegas, Daye stays in Vegas.
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Ok, so aside from Greg and our resident bucket of turd CV, according to Silver Tongue Maxie will also be in Orlando to practice with Brandon and co. for day 2. Where's the rookie, Rodney Stuckey in all this?
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Rodney accidently went to the Las Vegas Summer League.
    ...a force of habit for the perpetual rookie
    LA Dre and alexa032 like this.
  5. BillLaimbeer

Macklin tweet today: "I swear I been thru more ish then a lab rat......and still goin thru it smh"

I wonder why the Piston coaches don't like this guy. He must be doing something wrong.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Phil Drummond and Kenny E are +20 and 22 right now!
  8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Ugly first half, terrific third quarter, ok fourth.

Kyle - looked really, really good. Except for the silly foul on the 3, but our old buddy Deron Washington missed all three so meh. He looked great out there, great movement, hustle, shot the ball well, moves very well away from the ball as well.

Brandon - he was ok. He struggled with his shot, and had a pretty crap first half but recovered in the second. Finished with 6 assists, but likely would've gotten more if people would've made more shots. Guy shot a ton of FTs, 14 in all. He looked much bigger, but didn't look like he'd lost any speed. Did a good job taking care of the ball, especially given how much he handled it and how often he drove the ball inside.

Andre - his FT shooting was terrible. He missed all of them and air balled two, both off to the left. He did have a decent-looking step back J, but he's got a LONG way to go on that end. On defense, though? He did real well. He opened the game with a block (called a foul) on Kanter, then blocked him legitimately the next time down. Showed good energy, got his hands on a lot of balls (steals) but needs to rebound better (his PG had as many rebounds as he did). He showed pretty well defensively, all but neutralizing the passive Kanter. He made mistakes, but played pretty well after halftime. Looks a little heavy, but still very mobile.

Austin - last season's Austin showed up in the first half; turned the ball over twice in a row just before halftime. He did better in the second half, rebounded the ball pretty well too. His jumper is still off, but he had some success getting it inside. Don't know if he looks any bigger in person, but on the tv, he looks the same as ever.

Kim has a pretty stroke. Solid defensively, and efficient offensively.

Macklin...nothing special. He got outshone by an 18 year old rookie. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the team this year.

Middleton - did nothing of substance in his 17 minutes. Hopefully he shows better next time.

Everybody else? Yates was blah. Ware looked Bynum-lite.

MSU.Prodigy, Slippy, webz and 2 others like this.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kyle definitely stays home at the Palace next season as he was impressive. When I first tuned into the game to begin the second quarter watch there was no way this team could have beaten a jr high team. The second half was different story though as I saw the players who will be on the final roster.

I think one of the announcers indicated that Daye was there to get his mojo back that he lost last summer....Looks like he has decided to take the ball to the rim instead of hoisting a bad three...lets see how this develops....
  10. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Had a disastrous day at work but was pleased to come home to find that the Pistons bravely gutted out a victory.

Upon analyzing the box score and circumstances surrounding that Macklin character, all I can say is he needs to stop acting like a maniac and play basketball.
    linwood likes this.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I forked over the $15 for Summer League broadband and was treated to Drummond holding the low post against Kanter and then blocking his shot and then Daye losing his man after the shot goes up who rns in and gets a put back jam. Way to let a dude get a highlight on us. I'm at work so the rest will be after I get home. its exciting though.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was high on Nicholson pre-draft and looks like he killed it today. I wish we could have drafted him somehow. Looks like being an upgrade on Max and ready to contribute straight away.
  13. BillLaimbeer

Singler led the team in minutes with 32.5 (40 minute game). The Pistons brass must really be interested in seeing what this guy can do.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Wow. English bossed that game hard.

Cooked through, right out of the oven.
    linwood likes this.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Pistons are undefeated in the pre-season! Is it too early to start thinking about finals?
    coynejeremy likes this.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

I've been saying all along that John Loyer should be coaching the Pistons. Lawrence Frank is just coasting by on his good looks.

I'm starting to get Tommy Heinsohn level excited about Ken English.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I love Frank. But I am undecided on him as an NBA coach. He loves defense and he rewards effort. I can't think of a better environment for someone like Drummond etc.

I am interested to see what he can do offensively with relatively low skilled players however. And this is going to be the defining point.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Here is a nice piece on Drummond.
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The step-back jumpers did look great. It's been a little while since we had a big man who could hit that shot.
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

One of my favourite players, Kendall Gill, was commentating so that was a treat. Brandon Knight's ball handling was much improved and it allowed him to exploit his speed early on as he threaded the defense on the pick and roll. After he did though, the results were less than spectacular. It was good that he was trying to run the offense and find open guys and if you compared him to Ware, he's cut from a different cloth. But his passes need big improvement. I disliked the underhanded shovel passes. Anything underhanded is to be viewed as suspect in my book. And they were largely inaccurate. Those passes are ok in summer league but in the NBA, guys will close out by the time that ball gets to the target. There is a lot of time to work on that before the season starts so its just a first impression.

Drummond will cause so much fan angst in Portland and Sacramento. There were a few times where he was just lost on the floor and one of them resulted in a Daye turnover. But he held ground against Kanter and virtually neutralized him. We had solid interior D unlike any summer league in the past. He remained engaged in the defensive end. Whatever red flags allowed him to slip is not showing up yet. Its wierd how he can step back and pop a nice jumper but really suck at the free throw line.
    He's been far from a problem child...in fact just the opposite. I really like the kid.

Kyle Singler: I can hear Austin Daye crying "Game over man! Game over!" like private Hudson in Aliens. This guy is going to be great to watch during the season. I hope he can make it in the NBA. His summer league highlights resemble is Euroleague play. He finds the open spot and hits the jumper there. He backs down on a mismatch and drives to the hoop. He's the Antithesis of Prince. Then after me, Kendall Gill and a dozen fans on twitter are done gushing about him, he comes across the lane to swat a shot like Ben Wallace. Playa! Yeah, he's got a solid all around game. At the end he made a series of mistakes.

Austin Daye: Didn't show he could do anything of note at power forward. He has the tools to be effective but there's something in his brain that is just not going off. He made Drummond look like a vet on D. I thought he looked more filled out. His posture is whacked. He needs to fix that. He's got the too much computer work slump. His open court ball handling was very nice. He started making good plays but he's behind Singler and thats sad. He's also behind English.

English: Kim English was in the stands when the Rock pointed at him and said shut your mouth and know your role. He remembered half of that experience as he never shut his mouth but he knew exactly what his role was. His defensive stance is like those training videos. He works really hard to stay in front of his man. His shooting was just like the scouting reprts and highlight vids.

I'm a Daye fan but he needs to find someplace else.
    coynejeremy and basketbills like this.