Pistons Summer League...in Orlando

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jun 20, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...'Sup CEEEEEE JAAAAAY!
    [​IMG]

del, coynejeremy and Susie914 like this.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This picture matches my avatar!

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Just watched the highlights, but Drummond looked good. Not too worried about the FT shooting because that is something he can improve as time goes on. It looks like he needs to get proper form.

Singler and English were both great, and I hope they can find playing time. With Gordon gone, English will probably get his chance, but Singler is competing with Maggette, JJ, Daye and to a certain extent, CV for playing time behind Prince.

4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

With Wallace considering a comeback the roster would be one guy over the allowed 15 and that's not counting V-Mac. Unless a trade is done it looks like the guys fighting for the final spot is Middleton, Daye and Chaz. The Show probably has to put up those numbers he put up in the D-league to even come into consideration. I'm not sure how likely it is for Chaz to be amnestied so I'm guessing the fight is fought between Bette Middleton and Daye (since Daye is invited to the SL as a 8th year veteran probably means he's playing for his roster spot).

5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Down by 1 at half. Daye is hitting everything and noone else have impressed.

6. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Alec Burks scored 31 today which helps highlight the job English did on him.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Drummond can play......but he doesn't know HOW to play. He's clueless as to how to use all his physical tools on the basketball court to be effective. Brandon Knight's passes are still off target. Yancy Gates should get an invite to camp, I'd keep him over Middleton.

8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Such an up and down game.

Austin - he did what he did best today - score. He played hard; but a bit overmatched strength wise inside, which was to be expected. He had a few mental lapses, but he played solid basketball overall. He scored 24 and was the only guy in the starting five who didn't have an icky shooting percentage. This is the type of play we need from him, and if he can do that, then he should be able to stick around in the league.

Kyle's shooting was off, but he's definitely a keeper. He knew where to be and what to do at all times, and fittingly sealed the game with a huge rebound and hitting both free throws when he needed to. He doesn't hold the ball, gets to his spots and does all the little things - in the Pistons' projected starting five of the future, I'd be absolutely fine with him starting at the 3. I get the feeling he'll be the 'new Tayshaun', so to speak - the all-around guy who can do pretty much everything well. He also played nearly the whole game, which may at least partially be due to Middleton's horrid play.

Brandon's final shooting percentage was pretty ugly, though he missed a bunny inside and got his shot pinned by (I think) Nicholson at the end (hit those, he's at 50%). He's obviously worked on his handle a lot, and it is much improved; he's more easily able to get in the lane and make moves through contact now. He didn't shoot a lot to start the game, concentrating instead on running the team. In terms of that, he did a fair job, but you can tell he's not used to playing with these guys. He seems to have developed the most chemistry with Kyle (who seems to like the ball in spots similar to where Tay does) and Kim; he got Daye some pretty open looks too. Andre he had more trouble with, but more time playing together should fix that.

Andre - he was a complete non-factor. As if to emphasize the point, he was the only guy out of all the starters who wasn't sent back in to end the game. Gates and Macklin, our second unit bigs, both outplayed him. Kyle O'Quinn pretty much had his way with him; he was constantly out of rebounding position and rotated late or not at all a lot as well. For the second straight game, he was out rebounded by his point guard (4-3). His FTs at least hit rim though, and he made one, so I don't think he's completely hopeless there; just needs work. He needs a lot of work overall; if O'Quinn can work him over like he did, the NBA's veteran bigs surely will. The Pistons coaching staff's guidance will be very, very important if he's going to harness that obvious talent. When discussing Andre's weight, Kamla and Scott mentioned needing to come down from his present 285 - I agree. Kid doesn't seem to have a lot of stamina right now, and carrying that much weight will only aggravate that.

Kim had a fairly rough game, sometimes looking out of control on his drives and stepping right into charges. His shot was off as well. He bounced back a bit near the end, and played quite well defensively. I still think he'll be a solid 2 coming into this next season.

Khris - meh, again. He was either invisible or forcing it today.

Ware reminds me so very much of Bynum - especially so when he was in chuck mode in the second quarter (finished 1 of 6 in only 13 minutes). He did far better in the second half, though.

Macklin is a far better rebounder than Drummond.

Gates was the man in the middle to end the game today, and for good reason. Where Andre struggled with O'Quinn, Gates played him pretty evenly. Of course, given how raw Andre is, a more experienced, crafty big like Gates was always going to do better with a guy like O'Quinn. I liked his play quite a bit.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Watching Austin today I figured out his problem, he's too tall. I've said on many occasions that Austin plays like he's 6'6" not 6'11", and if I'm not mistaken Austin was the beneficiary (or victim, depending on how you look at it) of a late growth spurt. Austin is really a 6'6" SG in a body that's just too long to be effective. Austin has a great handle for a 6'11" PF, and a GREAT jumper for a 6'11" PF.....problem is, he's not a 6'11" PF. He's a 6'11" SG who doesn't move well off the ball on defense or offense and at 6'11" he's got too high of a dribble for a SG. If Austin was only 6'6" tall he'd be a really good player.

Walter and max like this.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the update Alexa....I was sitting here on conf calls all day and by the time I remembered to turn NBA TV they were already showing Boston and Brooklyn...Looks like it is the Thunder and Pistons at 10AM tomorrow, so I just set my DVR in case I forget.

This is summer league, so not sure if we will get a break out star with some consistency after only 2 games. Seems like all of the good from yesterday was bad today. I was hoping Kim can be the new Aflollo ...and not only make the squad but actually get some meaningful PT.

Good assessment of Andre..he will need work and hopefully the Pistons bring in Lanier and even give Laimbeer a part time job to work with him during the summer and then hand him over to Big Ben during the preseason...and beyond

11. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

:cheers:

Kim, I think, will have a place. He can play the BG role of shooter off the bench. Maggette will apparently be played at both 2 and 3, but he's not a shooter and will need someone who can space the floor with him.

I agree he needs a big man coach, but Roy Rogers seems to be pretty well respected in that field, and he seems to have done pretty well with Greg and Max. His teammates picking him up when he's down will help too, and Brandon and Kim both coming over to talk to him after bad plays or when he had his head down, discouraged, were encouraging.

12. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Everyday is a new learning experience for me! Soaking up all theses new information to become a great player!" - Andre Drummond, via Twitter.

As for Austin Daye - he is the absolute Super Bowl of ecstatic mediocrity. Tearing up the summer league in your fourth year is a disgrace not only to basketball, but to all of humanity as well.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Daye had one bad year that was filled with muscle building. He could be a dead eye again this year.

14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I think Daye has an adrenaline issue. When he's in his motion or routine, he's close to automatic. But there were times today where a dribble was contested and he was just unable to corral the ball, flailing at it like my one-year-old does with his toys. He's... clumsy when he's forced to be creative, and masks it with well-rehearsed smoothness.

His ceiling is a three-point shooter off the bench. I doubt he has the mental makeup to be a shot creator, and doesn't seem to have the awareness to play defense. But put him at SG for a few minutes a game and he'll get some threes off over smaller guys.

15. max

max All-Star

I read Drummond had a really good defensive game against Clev - how was his defense in this one? That's mainly what he can do now.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Daye blocks shots at a higher rate than any Piston not named Ben Wallace (and not just for 1 season, but for his entire time with the organization so far).

His steal rate is much higher than Stuckey, Jerebko, Knight, and most others.

He rebounds at a higher rate than Prince.

His real problem is that he went from having the best true shooting percentage on the team in his rookie year at .546 to the 8th best his sophomore year at .518, to the absolute worst on the team last year at .394.

You can't lead your team in true shooting percentage over the course of a season and not have some serious shooting talent.

Potentially a great shooter with the height to always get his shot off
    Average rebounder for SF
    Best defensive attributes are high block rate and decent steal rate
    Showed ability to handle pressure by being focal point of several last second plays in 2011 season

Has already had 26 NBA games with multiple 3-point makes.
    Over same 3 year period, Prince has had only 18 games with multiple 3-point makes, despite playing 3,400 more minutes.

17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if Daye's struggles are because his confidence is being Harringtoned - meaning destroyed by your team's and fans' lack of faith in you. Most pros can go in the gym and hit 80-90% of their shots, but when you're out there and the lights are on and things are happening quickly, that confidence that you have in yourself can make a huge impact on your ability to shoot the ball. His rookie year, Daye seemed like a sure shooter. Last year, not so much. He clearly has the touch, but he seems like a guy that's in his own head. Frankly, he also seems like a guy that thrives under consistency and routine, and just needs to know when he's going to be playing. Give him 10-12 minutes a game, let him get his routine down, and I think the offense will fall into place.

18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He has the heart of an artichoke.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Daye's confidence went out the (Wallside) window the day that Dumars signed Tayshaun Prince to the extension. Daye thought he was going to be the man at SF. Now he is just 1 of about 20 forwards on the current Pistons roster.

20. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The job was his for the taking..............he just didn't take it.

The curse of making millions is that you gotta show up and play............when it counts.

You're correct Laimbrane..............some guys just can't do that...........Just ask CV........

BallDon'tLie likes this.