Important Pistons Summer League - Orlando - 2014

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 28, 2013.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With Drummond in street clothes, there was no Piston on the floor to dominate as they came out flat in both the first and 3rd qtrs and their missed shots turned into plenty of buckets on the other end of the court for the Celtics..... Of course Drummond wasn't going to make up for the Pistons poor shooting and lax defense. The C's shot almost 50% from the field and the Pistons barely shot over 25%.

Pope continued to impress someone :confused: with his shooting skills, unfortunately only 4 of his 20 shots in the first 2 games have actually gone thru the hoop.

Mitchell looked good in the second qtr, and will probably get more PT then last years second rounders, but they just need forget today's game and hope that they can play better as a unit the rest of the week and the key contributors can demonstrate why they need to be on the A team and determine what they need to work on the rest of the summer to improve their games.

mikhail1973 likes this.
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The sophomores looked horrible. Also, it's time to cut Singlers bro and bring the real deal.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I felt like I wanted my $15 back after watching today's game.

4. BillLaimbeer

Vince Goodwill Tweet: "I just got an e-mail from a reader blasting coaching decisions .... in a summer-league game."

Lee356 sending emails????

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Absolutely, these are all staff positions and for those ones who have paid their dues (like Frank) get to potential higher positions. You can't beat history and longevity in all-of-the-family gatherings. At least in the second game (for me personally) he didn't wear anything that got another medal pinned to his general's uniform (in his minds eye).

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It happens. Mitchell seems to be focusing more. Siva is listening to feedback. Kravtsov will not hurt this ball club. Pope is gaining confidence and the tools are there. English stunk up the place and I hope Middleton is OK. Lucious is now, our most natural PG.

7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't want to harp on the negatives, we can go to DBB.com for that.
    Tony Mitchell: Kelly Olynyk showed what 3 inches and a solid post game can do for you. But Mitchell had his hard hat on all game long. He's a Robin to Drummond's Batman. Substitute Slava and its a bunch of misfits trying to play superhero. His handle in the open court is solid. They had him out on the perimeter some and he looked comfortable there as he did inside. The athleticism is amazing. The dude needs experience being the man not a 5th banana. He could become a Josh smith type player if developed right.
    Slava TRG: There was one play where he cut Pressey's baseline drive off then turned around to block a celtic big coming in for a dunk. He's gotten acclimated to the game. Slava started out having a hard time holding on to the ball but got comfortable rebounding as the game wore on. He's a serviceable backup. Mobility and instincts are pretty good. Outlet passing...wtf.

Middle English: Both sucked. English displayed a well controlled handle but for a guy who will make his nba money on shooting, this was ugly as all get out.

Siva: The announcers talked about Pressey's defense shaking up the Pistons but I disagree. I think it was removing Drummond from the equation. Feeding Drum was Siva's number 1 option. I think he was adjusting. They didn't set nearly as much high picks to get Siva into the lane. The result was a whole mess of jumpers against a set defense. To the SL team's credit, its exactly what the Pistons did at the NBA level under Frank. If you watch Siva's workout video where he shoots the lights out, he pulls back his follow through. He needs an adjustment.

KCP: Did we draft an athletic wing to stand around on the perimeter? There's not that much distance to get NBA defensive ready.

The real highlight was watching Rasheed talking to the big guys...the ones that won't make the team. And watching how the guys pay attention to him.

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Been in Mexico for a week and gettin caught up on all things Pistons.
    My thoughts on Summer League games 1 & 2

Game 1 (Brooklyn):
    - I never thought I'd say these words but Andre Drummond needs to sit. Dude is too good for the OSL and way too valuable to be battling scrubs in the Magic practice facility. Let him get his rawness worked out battling Sheed in practice. ...SIX blocks and a whole grip of steals!!! Needs footwork, a jump hook, conditioning and the ability to hit 50% of his free-troes.
    Lawrence Frank should be fired for rolling out the "beat-a-Drum" defense at the end. ...that's bush league man!

- Freaking T-Mitch is BEASTIE! If he learns to think like a pro baller instead of a Rucker legend, the sky is the limit for this dude. Holy crap! He's basically the rookie version of Shawn Kemp.

- The Pontiff had a box score that looked like a topless picture of your Grandmother but I'm not discouraged one bit. He's not the catch-n-shoot 1-trick pony that everyone makes him out to be. Pope Kontavious slides will on D, has quick hands and is way more athletic that I thought. Dude skyed to block a shot and came strong on a breakaway dunk attempt over an opponent. He's gonna be fine.

- Middleton might be the 'Austin Daye' of the OSL. Aside from 'Dre, he was the best player on the floor.

- I still want Kenny English to make the squad and be named Captain. He's all hustle and scaps for everything that he gets. He reminds me of Mike James for some reason.

- Siva can't shoot but he can dime like a mofo! He woulda had way more assists if dudes would have been ready for his interior passes. Time and time again, Piston bigs (even Drummond one time) were left staring at their own hands as the ball bounced through them. These were some nicely made interior passes made off dribble penetration that should have been converted to easy bunnies. Peyton Siva got wherever he wanted to on the court and I thought he rant the show pretty well for a bunch of kids who have only played together for a few days.
    Dude also plays some D with good instincts, feet and the ability to swipe the rock.

-Korie Lucious didn't QB the team as well as Siva but he shoots well. If you could take Lucious's shot and combine it with Peyton's floor game, you'd have a decent NBA PG.

- TRG looked terrified out there to me. He scored a few bunnies and snagged some boards but he also fumbled a ton of passes. I remember one play where he caught the ball on the left block with nobody on him and he pump-faked his way into a contested shot and eventually a turnover. He looks great in the open floor but as soon as you put a defender on him, he freaks out.

Game 2 (Bean Town):
    - No Andre Drummond = bueno! The last thing we need to see is Fab Melo's leg getting tangled up with Dre's ACL and sending our young franchise Center to get surgery.

- Seeing Sheed wearing a team-branded polo shirt and Khaki shorts is pretty weird man! Hearing him yell "bawl-don'-lie" on a missed tech free-throw and running the huddle during timeouts is AWESOME!

- Props to pope for AGAIN attempting to jam the ball in an opponents eye socket during a breakaway dunk attempt. People copared him to Rip Hamilton when we drafted him. I don't see that comparrison at all. I'm not worried about the kid finding his shot. He can shoot the rock and it will start draopping for him. I'm stoked that he plays solid D and plays tough. He had several steals and moves really well.

- What's up with the Pistons tradition of bringing in players' brothers for tryouts. EJ Singler joins the list of training camp legends Rodney Billups and I think Zeke's brother even practiced with the team for a week or two back in the day.

- Watching Tony Mitchel battle Tony Mitchell was fun. I like our Tony Mitchell better. That goaltend that he had was the most impressive two points scored by the Celtics during this game. I'm blown away by this dude's athleticism.

- I have no idea what the Pistons team shooting percentage was in this one but it was freaking ugly. If you told me that they shot 19% for the game, I wouldn't be suprised at all. Not eve EJ Singler could score effectively.

10. mikhail1973

11. BillLaimbeer

KCP is on FIRE. The 3rd quarter just started and he has 16 points so far. He is 3-for-6 from distance. Just had a nice dunk. He hit a 15-footer and was fouled for the and-one.

Pistons up 45-36 on OKC. Durant is scoreless so far.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  12. mikhail1973

And Siva has been running the show very well.

13. BillLaimbeer

This Pistons summer league team is a night and day difference depending if Drummond suits up. Andre is all over the place. Again, though, he looks winded after about 5-6 minutes of play.

linwood likes this.
  14. mikhail1973

I noticed that as well.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm also impressed with the actual Pope vs the scouting reports. To me, he just seems like an athlete first and a shooter second, which is what it sounded like Joe was going for when he spoke of upgrading our athleticism. Maybe Drummond impressed that on JD with his raw effectiveness last year.

Overall, I'm highly optimistic about the pieces being assembled.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Which is why he can continue to come off the bench as the 3rd big in a 3 big rotation; it's best for the team and for him.

The Panda and basketbills like this.
  17. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

KCP should have the starting SG spot by his defense, hustle and atleticism alone.

18. BillLaimbeer

Reggie Jackson lit up the Pistons for 35 points. I haven't watched the entire game yet. It is clear from these first 3 games that Siva is too slow to guard people at this level. Korie Lucious may have a hard time finding an NBA roster spot, too.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

NBAtv interview with Monroe- summary:

Thoughts on Josh Smith-
    - a guy that does it all and stuffs the stat sheet with points, blocks, and steals
    - great pickup

What he's working on in the off season-
    - He's working on conditioning to get up and down the floor better, expanding his post game, and mid-range J.

What fans can expect from the Pistons this year-
    - toughness
    - playing together
    - putting their hard hat and coming to work every day

Thoughts on Drummond-
    - Beast
    - improved his tough and footwork around the rim
    - will always bring the rebounding

Thoughts on Mitchell
    - impressed by the things he was doing in practice and his athleticism

A little fluffy, but good to hear.

I also read a quote from Drummond saying something like "we are going to freak guys out this year. Nobody is going to want to go in the paint against us."

Now that is exactly what I want to hear. Freaky stuff on D!

20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Bad Boys
    Going to Work
    Freaky-D

I like it.

coynejeremy likes this.