Pistons Trade Mohammed to Charlotte

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Chandragupta, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

Brezec also had (has?) some health (think it was gland) problems. But if he recovers, he will be ok.
    I remember he made a very good defensive job on Duncan about 2 years ago with his long arms...also very good mid-range shooter.
    ...and Herrmann is a pure treasure - don't know about this year - coach or health maybe.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    If these guys plan on sticking with Pistons for the long haul, they sure don't have much time to have issues. Their contracts are up after this season and Joe wouldn't think twice about not offering an extension if they don't perform. Unfortunately, that's how it works in sports.

3. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Joe must have made this deal over the phone, cause he wouldn't have been able to do this with a straight face. Michael Jordan just got punked.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He could be the point center for our bench unit and allow them to exist as their own entity, despite their youth. CWEbb would be the anchor.

Stuckey/Afflalo/Hayes/Johnson/Webber

5. ocellatus

ocellatus First Round Draft Pick

Why would you want to trade Hermann for a pick just to sign back Meija? Hermann Is the better player in this trade.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I know...lol...I got totally assaulted and it was like I was expected to have a full mental roladex of every available NBA player in my head for immediate response.

For god's sake, I was still digesting my beef & lamb shawarma

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Herrmann should fit into the 2nd unit nicely. Once Stuckey comes back, he will be penetrating and dishing a lot... to an open Herrmann. This will also help out Stuckey cos defenses won't be able to crowd him or pack the lane.

I remember him from last season (for fantasy reasons of course), because he absolutely went off in the last part of the season.
    Check out the guy's game log if you don't believe me.

His April numbers:
    9 games, 37 mins, 19.9 pts, 5.6 rebs, 2.8 3pm, 57% from the field and 52% from downtown. He hit 18 treys in his last 5 games.

I'll have me some of that.

Brezec is a bit of a jump shooting big man. We already have one in Dyess, so I don't see this guy getting a tonne of minutes unless his D has improved out of nowhere.

Who knows, Brezec might end up getting cut later on for Dupree to come back. lol.

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Great deal just looking at from Joe's perspective. Unfortunately, we have to factor in the one and only Flip Saunders. Flip now has 2 more veterans capable of playing PF/C to play in front of Amir. Adding Webber would just make it worse. Hermann would be a very good pickup if we needed a backup SF, but now he's just our 35th undersized big guy. Though if Hermann can bring what he brought last year at SF, he may make Jarvis expendable.

Joe needs to lay down the law to make this deal work as well as it seems on paper.

9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Webber won't come back.

:hoops:

10. buddahfan

By Pistons standards both of these guys are bums period.

They may be okay for a losing franchise like the Hornets but for a world class successful NBA organization like the Pistons these guys are nowhere.

Even if AJ never gets another minute with the Pistons these guys should be dumped ASAP, unfortunately it won't happen.

Flipper has a new big body and another 3 point shooter so they will get minutes.

Just like Murray, you get what you pay for. These guys come cheap and there is a reason for it.

11. buddahfan

Wrong. By Charlotte standards Nazr is a big upgrade and can be a very serviceable backup for a lousy NBA team.

We cleared cap space and took on two bums, at least for now.

If we let these guys go at the end of the year and trade AJ who will never see the court under Flipper for one or two draft picks we will have about $8 million to work with. I don't know who will be in the free agent market next year but $8 should be able to get us more than a scrub.

In addition we still have Cheikh who the Det media has fallen in love with.

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I disagree about some of those points

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Been reading the press. Brezec has been out of the rotation in Charlotte mostly due to injuries. He has had two surgeries on his nose for instance and faces another possible surgery yet on it. It is possible (my speculation now), that the Pistons will evaluate him, find him not fit to play, and have him have that surgery; so its possible he may not end up playing at all for us for a while yet this season.

What I have seen of Brezec in the past is this: A capable offensive player, both in the post and shooting outside shots. I have not seen him enough though to say anything about his defense. He is a 7-2, 260 pound center. Charlotte thinks they are getting a more mobile center in Mohammed. If that is true, then Brezec can't be none too fast.

Herrmann is a 6-9, 225 pound forward, mostly suited to play small forward. The guy can shoot very well from three point land by his stats. I did not watch any of the Charlotte games at the end of last season where Herrmann was doing so well (averaging about 20 points a game for a strethc.) As far as I can tell from reading the press, his coach simply decided to go with different players at small forward, leaving Herrmann to get precious few minutes; and Herrmann has not responded well at all to this very diminished role. I do not know if Herrmann can play D or not. His stats don't indicate anything special in the way of rebounding, and they show no ability to block shots.

The next question is, will either of these players end up taking minutes away from Amir Johnson? From what I can see, Amir Johnson is a far different player from either of these two. Amir is far and away the more athletic of the 3, the better rebounder, better shot blocker, and most likely, a better defender. All three have offensive skills.

Here is what I hope will happen. According to Flip Saunders, his system is so complicated that nobody can be expected to just step in and start playing. So Amir should get the playing time that Mohammed just vacated while the two new guys get acclimated to the team. And from there, lets see who can do what. My opinion, Amir should end up with more playing time than the two new guys. Will he - well, we shall see.

14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

According to the Freep the Pistons were contacted Friday at 3pm about trading for Nazr and by 4pm Friday the deal was complete. Joe D. must have jumped out of his chair in joy!!!

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You can look at this trade from many angles. Overall, the big question is how does this help the current core? Depends on your part-whole thinking pattern. Solutions, usually are causal:

which means the results consist largely of rearranging what we know in order to find out what we do not know. A baseball manager, for example can shuffle his lineup 362,880 times. (Thinkertoys, pg. 100, by Michael Michalko:ISBN:1580087736)​
    The timing of this trade is interesting. JD gained two major pluses (the trading of Naz was a foregone conclusion, along with the cap space): flexibility and insurance.

Flexibility in having winter, spring and summer trade potential. This will mean a very good chance of getting a couple of major trades and by this, I mean, at least two starters. You need a solid backup core to take this direction. The current backup group, with the new additions, will afford some quality oversight on potential backup strengths as trades take place.

The common whaling, from the most constant forum members, needs to get over their personal foibles about youth immediately having all-world influence and thus propelling us into the finals accumulating with ultimate victory. Perception (dare we even mention learning from previous head-banging) is a constant changing of angles and trying to get a handle on that allusive part-whole thinking.

Insurance is the other issue. The pistons had a huge hole in the middle, which has been plugged by veteran-aging athletes. If they are to get into the finals, they needed a big body: Brezec fills that need. Both acquired players are 28, and have specific weakness and skills that need to be tested. The latter means more shifting in and out of group substitution, which goes against my personal preferences (I will get over it, however).

Something to keep in mind: this Piston team now has the entire spectrum of youth, unknown-maturing and mature players. You need a stable coaching staff to spread out comfort levels because this team is very deep and they will have a huge battle in getting the vets to understand that getting into comfort flows on the court now has gotten much shorter.

16. Wingspan

Wingspan Second Round Draft Pick

I'm sorry but I was in the 5th row at the Houston game and Amir Johnson is slightly shorter than Sheed, who is not 7'. Plus the new center is like 7'1".

17. Wingspan

Wingspan Second Round Draft Pick

18. buddahfan

Brezec is the tallest so as of this moment you are correct.

Re Sheed and AJ did you check their shoes? LOL

For Sheed to be taller it could be that he is 7' or more (when A. Kander measured AJ in pre-season he said that AJ was 6'11 1/2"). Therefore, you could very well be correct that Sheed is taller than AJ and therefore 7' or taller.

I believe Sheed is listed as 6'11" and that is what I was going by but according to you he is 7' or more.

Rasheed Wallace - Detroit Pistons - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

19. buddahfan

There have been bums that have played for us. But that was not my point, Maybe yours. My point is that since we are significantly better team and have been as long as I can remember.

Therefore if you take Nazmo. He could hardly get minutes with us he will go to the Bobcats and probably play 15 or more minutes a game. Why because are other big men are better than theirs and it filters on down from the starters to the end of our bench.

Neither Brezec nor Herrmann were getting regular rotation minutes over there on a pretty bad team, you can only imagine how bad they must be to not even be able to get regular rotation minutes on a pretty bad team.

20. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Suspicious rumor that it went down that quickly. Maybe it did, but it seems more plausible that it was in the works for a couple days. Which would explain (for KGREG) why Nazr didn't get time in the Houston game against Yao.