Pistons Training Camp Notes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Zoso, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

2. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Interesting Stuff

Todd Day, please say good night! At 35, he would have to be Lindsey Hunter on steroids.

I'm kind of glad Darko didn't put on much weight, it's better if it comes naturally as he ages. This sword will cut both ways however, and Darko will have to produce.

I am cautiously optimistic, and looking forward to seeing the new Darko and Sheed. I keep harping on them, because even a small positive change from them could change a lot of things.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Just wondering

Do you guys have any idea why they have guys like Sanchez, Day, and Glyniadakis on the training camp roster. Do they really have any realistic chance of making the roster? Just to push the other guys? In Glyniadakis' case do they just want to measure his progress? :confused:
  4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Good question, good question.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

????

Sounds like a WWE gimmick. Did Lance Blanks and Chuck Nevitt make an appearance as well? lol!
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Lindsay

Veteran guard Lindsey Hunter did not participate in the Pistons first practice on Tuesday due to a sore left ankle. He will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his ankle on Wednesday.

I wonder if Delfino can recommend a reliable, out-of-country physician.:laugh:
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

Darth Tater, yes, there is a chance for Andreas Glyniadakis to stick. As far as I know, we get to carry a total of 15 guys on our roster this season. Lets say Hunter retires. He is having that surgery tomorrow, and by the time he gets back, his spot just might be taken by Acker.

Next, you got Dupree, who is not going to stick around, in my opinion, once the Pistons see that both Amir Johnson and Jason Maxiell can play some small forward for us, both giving us a lot more than Dupree.

That leaves room for Glynny.
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Why not just say I hate Hunter and I don't want him playing on the team.... You keep suggesting he might retire.
    Maybe Davis will retire too.
    If he was going to retire he prolly wouldn't be in camp? :der:

As for Glynie, I read today that he did indeed have an injury which kept him out of the SL games
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Glynie

In my opinion, Glynie would have to play his pants off to make the team. We already have a bunch of young guys ahead of him on the depth chart. For him to take a roster spot over a vet wouldn't be in the team's best interest.

I think its a matter of getting him in to see how he looks, evaluating him to see if he's worth hanging onto and because they have room for him in camp so why not. It can't hurt anything to have him there.

Worst case scenario he stinks up the joint and hes gone or he suffers a serious injury. No harm, no foul. Cut your losses and move on.

Average case scenario is he gains some valuable experience and the Pistons can see him upclose, but he doesn't make the final roster.

Good case scenario is that he impresses so much that he creates some excellent competition for the final roster spot, makes everyone else try harder and play better, and creates some trade value for himself or whoever he beats out in camp.

Best case scenario he becomes a better free throw shooting version of Shaq.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

lmao, you crack me up Merc.

Really though Lee, I haven't heard a word about Hunter retiring except from you. I don't see it happening unless some major injury or something happens.

I will be a bit surprised if Dupree makes the roster based on the numbers though.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

hell while we're at it let's add shannon brown and drew nietzel, tons of upside. and hell, let's take our best 1v1 defender in hunter and throw him by the wayside to make room for the #56/60 pick in the draft who has 0 games of NBA experience. glynny, i like it...he's already earned a nickname.
  12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Today's Freep notes

Excerpts from today's article at http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pistons5e_20051005.htm

FYI, the Detroit News accompanied today's ONE article on training camp with a link to their Pistons blog ... which hasn't been updated since Aug. 22. Way to go, fellas.
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Excerpt from A. Sherrod Blakely's mlive article today:

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1128507001327270.xml&coll=1
  14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

And what would "Pistons Training Camp Notes" be without a quote by Sheed? Here's one from Blakely's article yesterday:

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I would rather have Lindsay than this Glynny guy cause hunter is one of our best defenders, and if Glynny got on our team that means less playing time for Darko.
  16. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

does she get paid per pun? :doh:
  17. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

Training camp looks good so far

I think from what we saw of the first day of practice, with them being such a fast paced event.... there just bodies so that our regs don't fall over dead from being over worked.....
  18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Glynny and Darko (sounds like a movie/TV title)

I think if Glynny plays, it'll be serioius mop-up time. Hopefully, those days are in the rear-view mirror for Darko. Glynny could be the NEW Darko. The new Human Victory Cigar.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Many time you bring a guy into camp to allow them to just showcase some skills. It's not that they're trying to make your team but that they're trying to make "a" team. With our team being pretty set there is alot of time available early on for guys to show some skills to other coaching staffs.
  20. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Foolish talk

Classic Lee 357 aka 356 at his best and an excellent retort on your part as usual Merc. Thank you for saving others the trouble of shutting that nonsense down immediately. I appreciate Lindsey just for sucking it up like a trooper and playing through that pain the entire post season and never even complaining about it. Although LH gets under my skin at times with his careless turnovers and offensive ball stoppage you've got to give him some much due props for taking one for the team bearing through that injury! His defense on d. wade came in VERY handy to us defeating miami last season.

I'm still worried about if DMC has what it takes to help us so I really just ain't tryin to see Glyndie right now at all. I'm sorry folks I just have no more patience for unproven projects, seriously. All the stats and reports I continue to see/read of his performance overseas has been piss poor at best. The only reason he is even getting NBA consideration at this time is due to his tremendous size, besides that he hasn't shown any actual game or hoops skills whatsoever. I can't prove it yet but he seems to be a be what is called a "big for nothing"... This is someone who is blessed with all the size & tools but just is not a ball player and can basically barely walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.