Pistons vs Celtics Nov 4th

Discussion in 'November 2005 Games' started by mercury, Sep 12, 2005.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is the 2nd night in a row that Pierce has been missing FT's in crunch time that could seal the win for his team.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've got Pierce and Blount. Look who just might have won the game for Boston. :mad:
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Holy Cow!!!!!
  4. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

wow!!!!

Wow!!!
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Rippppp!!!!!!!!!!!

GOT IT !!!!!!TAKE THAT LARRY!!!!!!!for going to Sheed all the time at the buzzer!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The blame game was reeeeeady ... never mind we'll take it!
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THE LOOK on the Boston Garden faces.....

priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Blame game

I dunno. A lot of stuff to be negative about. Sheed hit the big 3 but was terrible on offense. What mismatch? Is LaFrentz that good a defender? I guess so. He blocked Rip's shot the possession before when everyone in the building knew Rip was gonna shoot it. Poor offensive set there when it really counted. Just a poor night all around. No sure why Milicic didn't get more burn. I can't believe I'm saying that (and agreeing with Lee), but it's true.
  9. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Man, did Detroit steal that one!
  10. roscoe36

Just looking at the box, 18 TOs, 17 assists, 4 players with 39+ minutes. This was the perfect game to take the euphoric edge off of the first win. The Ps win, but don't look like world beaters.

It's back to work as usual and the Pistons play until it's time to punch out.

Great game by Rip, look for heavy bench minutes tomorrow.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Completely agree with this... Sheed was indeed very disaponting (till the end)... whassup with Dice?
    Rip played average at best (all them t.o.'s) but you gotta luv his never die mentality.
    This game on Nov 4th could be pivotal at the end of the season.

Hey I hope someone got a pic of all the Celtic homos huggin' on the floor before they lost. :P
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Starter stamina

They gotta play tomorrow too, so surprised that Flip went that long with the starters. :confused: It was a struggle out there as our bigs barely showed up and the guard play was erratic with exception of Rips' late heroics. If they had been playing the Spurs, Bowen would have been in RIPS' shorts :eyebrows: on that last play.

McDyess and Delfino better be ready for tomorrow's game.
  13. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Experience counts

Agreed, the Pistons played like they've been there a million times before. The Celtics start the celebration with time left on the clock. Really tough to score for Detroit tonight. Rivers had a good game plan til the end when Rip roamed unmolested. The easiest shot he had all night. :laugh:
  14. max

max All-Star

Game

Very good sign that this will be a great season. Sometimes there is a pivot game like this early in the season where things happened that should have caused you to lose but the team wins anyway.

Kind of got boned by the refs on several occasions and the team won anyway.
  15. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Hmmm...

I was listening to the game on the radio (I live in DC so no TV for me tonite). I'm relieved but not exactly happy. The Knicks played the C's close in Boston, so beating them is no great accomplishment.

Obviously you lose a lot when you can't see the game, but the assist-TO ratio was lousy and it sounded like Chauncey and 'Sheed couldn't buy a bucket 'til 'Sheed came up big (to his credit) at the end.

Dyess I'm pretty miffed about. Not sure what's up with him. Frankly, it sounded to me like Darko was more effective and probably should have gotten more of a shot.

Obviously way too many minutes for the starters. Hopefully that doesn't continue. Only good thing I really have to say is that we dug down and pulled it out when we needed to. These are the teams that we have to beat if we want home court this year.

We got lucky tonite. I hope we realize that.
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I thought we lost

Watching the game on gamecast, it showed us down, 79-80, 1 second left. Then it went final, Boston win. Start playing Civ IV, then hear we won on the Knicks post game, WTF? Sweet.

Perfect game for us, take some of the cockiness out of the team. We're good, but not good enough to coast. I'm starting to have a little simpathy of Larry. With the Knicks, it doesnt matter who he plays, they all suck. But with the Pistons, which Flip has just discovered, he has the best starting 5 in the league, and in tight games, doesnt want to take any of them out. Most teams have a scrub or two in the starting lineup, which makes it easy for the coach's to get bench players pt.

BTW, in LB's post game interview, a NY reporter asked him why he let Channing Frye get PT considering Larry's view on rookies. LB said "Why wouldn't I play him? He needs to play so he can improve"
  17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ooooh yeah!

[​IMG]

If you look past rip's leg it almost looks like it says 'Celtics Sham Foundation'.

HAHA!
  18. roscoe36

I never thought I would see a :flypig:
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Boston game

1st half report:

1st quarter, Boston got 18 points. As our bench rotated thru, we kept a slight lead. Then with our starters all back in, we got down by 7.

Darko hit a 19 footer, and had a block. While in, Boston was not scoring inside. Why he was taken out is beyond me. With Boston running, a guy like Darko is what you want, a center who can get back real well.

Boston is running continuously, and fairly effectively. They started out well to begin the game, consistently beating us down to the basket. But they seemed to run out of steam later in the quarter, and as their subs came in. But to end the half, their starters were back in, running again, and our starters did not seem to be up to it.

Flip is not letting our bench play as a unit, but rather keeps rotation different people in. Nothing really established as a rotation and you can see its going to take a while to get our players comfortable with playing together at this rate.

After the game:

Sheed went inside a ton in this game. Did not get much from it except he did draw some fouls. But when we really needed him, he hit that triple. Nothing wrong with Sheed shooting a triple of late. A whole lot have been going in. On that inside play, remember this: Sheed going inside a lot like this tonight will make him better at it for next game, so its good to see even if he was missing.

Tay had one his "Miller's". Helped set the tone for the start of the 2nd half where the Pistons retook the lead. Arroyo was the first sub off the bench, about 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. And we went up a few points with Arroyo in. Arroyo hit a couple of shots, and kept control of the ball as plays developed. Some people call this overdribbling. I call it doing a point guards job. Controlling the ball. Being ready to make the pass at the right time.

We stayed even as our bench rotated thru. Arroyo, Evans, and Dyess got minutes in both halves, although Evans was limited a bit with foul trouble. Delfino and Darko each got about 4 minutes (Maybe less for Delfino I think) in the first half. So ten guys were involved in the rotation altogether. Since two played so little, lets call it about a nine man rotation.

Evans hit another triple. This one, he should not have been given. Boston just played off him. Big mistake and they made him pay. I doubt the league will miss that Evans can shoot for long though.

Despite a lot of running up and down the floor, and a whole lot of shots, Boston just got 81 points, so you really can't say we did not play good D.

The shot. We had .8 seconds on the clock. Rip used his speed to lose his guy, received the pass from Tay who was passing from the right sideline, turned and shot. The light went off just after it left his hands. We win. Man us Piston fans were ecstatic. Just like the Boston fans were a moment early when Blount hit his shot. But the Piston fans stay happy tonight.

Twice in this game, Tay faked in, stopped and popped. With his height, and most nights having a mismatch, it would be great to see a whole lot more of this. Tay also kind of faked a move toward the basket, forcing Boston to double team, all the while waiting for Sheed to become free for that triple. Great decision making by Prince.

I see FSD is learning. In the past, they routinely lost their audience right after the game, switching to coverage of other sports. Someone finally mentioned to them that basketball fans were tuned in hungry for more hoops coverage. Good job tonight staying with the main story.

Boston is maybe two quality bench players from a decent team. They will not make the playoffs this year. But yet with Peirce on the team, I can't say that with any certainty. And Delonte West is coming on. They went to him late for a score inside on us. About the last thing the Pistons expected at the moment.

Dyess did not even take a shot until the 2nd half, and I don't even remember him scoring at all. But good to see we could win despite that. I think our bench scored 11 points all told. Speaking of scoring, Rip's total for the first two games of the season ranks #2 all time for the Pistons. Stack remains #1.

2-0. And Darko has played in the first half of both games. Indeed, the only really bad stretches in the game occurred with all our starters in. We fell behind at the end of the half, and fell behind late in the 4th before rallying to win it. Anyone still want to propose that fantasy that we can't win if Darko gets time? It may not be much, but its time with real meaning. I love seeing Darko getting this time.

Evans continues to be one of the first couple guys off our bench. But note it was Arroyo in first in that 2nd half. Lets see if that trend continues as Arroyo continues to do well out there. Not saying that Evans is doing all that bad, but he certainly does not make us a better team when he subs for Rip or Tay. Big dropoff either way. When Arroyo subs for CB, I really do not see a dropoff from that.

I still want to see our bench come in as a unit. Lets see how they play. Worst case it does not work and you try somethng else. Best case, you got a solid 2nd unit all comfortable playing together, leaving your starters together that much more too.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

nice of you to quote my typo's. But you know, it does snow in Hell, Mi. Watching LB tonight he had no choice but to play his rooks considering how awful his starters are. Flip went through his subs in the 2nd, but in the 3rd and 4th, the game was close, his starters are so good, he doesnt know what the subs can do, I dont think he has a choice but to keep them in.

The difference is I think Flip will try to give the bench every oppourtunity to prove themselves, so that they improve, and so Flip will feel more comfortable subbing in close game situations.