Pistons Vs Heat ~ December 29th, 2006

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Detroit Pistons Vs Miami Heat
    December 29th, 2005 ~ 8:00pm
    The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
    TV: TNT Radio: WDFN

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~~Comments on the Game?!~~

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey! Where's the hype? Bomb these cats back to hurricane ravaged Florida.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The Pistons' finely tuned machine goes head to head with Riley's Frankenstein Experiment.
    Isn't this why we got Mo and Davis?

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

One last kick at the can...

Best Game Pre-Cap / Recap
    We're going to hand out some posting awards in the New Year as voted by the membership.

Here is the scoop.

Write your best pre-game analysis or post game wrap up.

No plagiarising, and linking images will be worth ZERO points. You need to provide TEXT to be considered.

Offer stats, humour, insight but offer YOUR TAKE. Make it original and you might end up on the receiving end of some Pistons or forum schwag.

All 'caps from the preseason through to the end of calendar year 2005 are eligible. Multiple 'caps do not count, keep it to a single post please. Your 'cap must be posted no later than 24 hours after the game has finished.

Please don't post or PM questions. Give us your best work (meeting the above conditions) and you will be eligible.

C'mon folks. Someone step up because it is likely a two man race between lee356 and LanierFan. I've got a bunch of interesting (and rewarding) competitions planned, but the participation has to be there...

5. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Hehe

Nice analysis contest.....

But I'm passing this one. But I'm up for the next contest you got planned. I'll see this one first, being that so few Pistons games reach my part of the world. THis one is.

My analysis for this game....

Pistons should make buckets, defend the goal and keep the Heat from scoring. We win BIG.

Hehe :nod:

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good call Slippy. Riley's like, I can wheel and deal too. Sure but are you a chemist?

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Shaq and Wade again

They are a roadblock. Shaq will round in shape as the season progresses for a playoff run. Wade works well off of Shaq. With this team, the question is how well we contain those two. We don't match up that well with either. On the other hand, the Heat are a team thrown together, not playing at last year's level, Shaq's a year older and at least we know Wade's game now. Wonder if we see Davis on Shaq. How will we guard Wade?

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Answers

We saw two things in the last matchup between the two teams. One, Davis could not guard Shaq. Not at all. We will see take two on this tonight.

Next, Evans was suppose to have guarded Wade well for a quarter last season. His claim to fame so to speak. But in that first game this preseason, we saw not one lick of ability on Evan's part to guard Wade. Guess we will see take two on this also.

Now as for the abilities of Ben, Dyess, and Sheed to guard Shaq. Pretty much a given that Shaq will score or end up at the line every time. Occasionally, we might deny Shaq the ball. But too occasionally. We can expect serious foul trouble to set in early.

We play Miami three times yet before the playoffs, so we got not just this game to figure things out. But still, it would be nice to see if Darko can check Shaq at least a tad better than the other 4 bigs. And its not even out of the question we could throw Maxiell on the big fella. Why not. He can foul someone just like Davis can. Heck, I bet Maxiell is stronger. Can't hurt.

On Wade, Rip will guard him quite a bit and do so so at it. Tay will guard him too and do ok again but not that great at all. Rip's a bit quicker and a little better at following Wade vs. Tay.

Once in a while, we will see Wade matchup with Arroyo or Delfino. I do not expect much from either of these two on that matchup, but the more they can do the better.

About our best bet to contain Wade well come the playoffs is to return a healthy Hunter to the team. This past series with Miami, Hunter shut down Wade pretty darn effectively.

Our best bet on containing Shaq is to sign EC for the remainder of the season. However, if Darko can give us 10 to 15 quality minutes on Shaq, that won't be needed. I'd still sign him anyway as depth is grand.

Lets say that as I suspect, Davis is completely ineffective vs. Shaq. Next game we play Miami then, activate Acker who can at least Chase Wade a bit for us.

9. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We can try playing them like we played against the Fakers during 2004 NBA Finals. Let Shaq and Wade do all the scoring and stop the rest of the team. In addition, with our improved offense this year, we can get a 'W' here, no problem.

Another important note is that our bigs, esp. Sheed and Big Ben has to stay out of foul trouble or get Shaq into foul trouble.

10. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

3 words

penetration, penetration, and penetration

i think that the only thing that can really hurt the pistons on the defensive end in this game is letting wade and/or williams get into the paint consistently...as we've already seen this year, the pistons can be vulnerable on this issue and the price is monstrous games for opposing bigs. in this case, in addition to the danger of easy dishes and put backs, the pistons need to be aware of kick outs to posey and walker for threes.

offensively, i think we are in better shape than last year, not only because we are an improved offensive team, but especially because i think they really lost defensive power with their moves last year.

go pistons

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sounds like Flip plans on using both Darko and D.D. to slow down the Diesel (taking bets on this actually happening).
    In regards to Ben being ineffective guarding Shaq, it think it's important to look at the whole picture... Ben has had some of his best scoring games against Shaq and has a history of getting Shaq in foul trouble.
    Nobody can argue that Shaq doesn't hit a high % against Ben.... however we also need to take into account Shaq's turnover rate ... offensive fouls and inlet passes that Ben denys... also consider loose balls that Ben beats Shaq to.
    The new rule of not going thru a man to score could work to Ben's advantage... because Ben is typically in the right position... I'll be curious to see if this is enforced.
    The by committee approach (to defend Shaq) is the best strategy. This is D.D.'s chance to prove the validity of his two year contract... if he bombs (like preseason) Joe may have to coax E.C. out of retirement. I still maintain that E.C. was the #1 reason we advanced vs the Heat last year (check the results).

Another interesting match up is at backup SF... with all of the publicity the Heat received on the off season moves, did the Pistons low profile move (Evans) keep pace?

Have to admit I'm concerned about Payton posting and shooting over Arroyo.

Any guesses when the first vicious bow from Mourning goes out? I'll say before the 2nd qtr.

Will Mourning cover Sheed?... This is a chance to pull their shot blocker out of the paint.

12. Slippy

I'm betting Darko gets a DNP-CD. Flip says this all the time.

13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm ready for this game. It's a lot easier to hate the Heat with Mourning, Payton, Walker and Shaq than it is other teams like the Spurs.

At some point Darko and DD have to prove their worth and what better time than tonight. With Lindsey Hunter's pending return to the roster someone will have to be deactivated. So who will it be? Maybe the game tonight could go a long way in deciding that. Or I guess Maxiell would be the more logical choice to be wearing street clothes.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

this game means a whole lot more to miami, and even if the pistons win it won't matter that much because they should win. i'm not that much more hyped in this game than others too even though it's miami we're playing. if lindsey is back the next time we face the heat he'll make jason williams look like an idiot. i hope to see a pretty fast pace to kill shaq out there, and i hope we make williams create more TO's than he already does.

15. Slippy

Their best opportunity was last game. The bench had a huge margin for error.

Is darko finally going to prove that you can not play for 2 years, sit on the bench for most of this season and go out and contain one of the most dominant players in the league? He may have the ingredients to be a shaq stopper but he's still missing an affinity for the game itself.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

slippy

flip said he expects both dale AND Darko to have some good minutes tonight because of shaq. if darko proves something here he'll have to get more pt.

17. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Not feelin the bench

except for Dice and Arroyo. I love the ocassional semi-spectacular play and somewhat dependable jumper that Evans has. But he's nowhere near a "defensive force." Delfino though playing hard so far, still don't inspire confidence in my book; and J-Max appears too immobile to man the backup 3.

The big problem is still up front. DD ain't as physical as I hoped he would be, and he's already a lil light in the pants. Darko? Puleease! I'm wondering who on our bench besides a rookie is capable and willing to deliver a HARD foul?

Our starters are playing at a high level collectively, seldom seen in the NBA. Everybody better stay healthy.

18. Slippy

Himat

sorry if my pessimism is running high re: playing time for the rest of the guys. I'd like to see DD and Darko in there. I just doubt I will. In fact, I won't cuz I'll have to something else tonight. But I'll read the recaps.

19. snoopol

snoopol Second Round Draft Pick

When I'm looking at bunch of gambling forums seems like everybody is on Heat tonight. I don't know why even thoug they get 6 points.
    I'm looking forward to see the game. I think we should force Wade to shoot jumpers instead of letting him penetrate.

20. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Pistons Will Win

THe game will be tough and the Miami Heat will come out pumped, but they will lose. The main thing I want to see if the 3pt shooters for Miami will be able to hurt the Pistons. THey just don't scare me from beyound the arc like they di last season. :frusty: