Pistons Vs Heat ~ March 22nd, 2006

Discussion in 'March 2006 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

it helps that we have 2 good defensive gaurds in hunter and delk unlike last time. arroyo is a better playmaker, but delk is better defensively and he's a better shooter. Williams will have a much tougher time this game, and now the pistons should be back to wanting to win games since san antone is only a half a game behind us. no one on miami can gaurd sheed. look for rasheed to post up because for about 1-2 weeks he's made an effort there instead of staying at the 3 point line, and we might see chauncey give up shots to rip, and tay to make wade work. chauncey has given up the ball to tay to get him out of his funk, and he knows when to shoot. No way will we meltdown like before if a situation with Wade starts to happen we'll make someone else make a comeback. Shaq probably can't do that at his age, and if we keep Wade under control it's a win.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I bet JW gets 10 before Wade.
  3. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Boy I can tell there is alot of excitment in the air with all the pre game posting for this game. This game will have a makings of the first game played at the Palace it will go to the wire.

Pistons will pull it of 95 to 92. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Agree there are no excuses... we also had an extra day to prepare (like the Heat did for us last time)...
    I was kinda hoping to see Cato a lil ... just to see if he's able to stall the Diesel.
    J Will killed us getting inside last game... no doubt Lindsey will make a difference.
    The last game against the Heat was almost exclusively from the perimiter... we won't get anyone in foul trouble that way... Sheed has a clear advantage over their PF's in the paint... look for Zo to switch out which could play into our plans of drawing him out of the paint.
    I still think we're gonna hold out some tricks for a possible playoff matchup (ie expose Shaq's lack of mobility)... we can run against this team (especially Ben)...
    there's absolutely no pressure for the Heat... they still have us once more in Miami... I expect them to play loose...
    time to introduce "The Wade rules".
    Agree with Delfino on D.W.... or even L.H.
    There could be some real physical play tonight... watch for some altercations and T's.

Six pack...check
    Movie to keep kids out of hair... check
    Lucky Bing Jersey...check
    No expensive breakable objects in the vicinity... check
    Shaq voodoo doll... check
    Renew Zo haters club membership...check
    Lee back on ignore list... check

Ok... play ball!!!
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i bet not.
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

AHAHAHAHAHA

I have the exact same pre-game checklist! (except mine is a Big Ben jersey, and I throw on a Pistons hat as well for good measure when its an especially important game).

I always get rid of any breakables and ensure that I have at least 3 or 4 good pillows on hand to throw around (and to yell into when the baby is sleeping).

I don't know if this is the best game for Cato to come back for though. Although I'd love to see him get some minutes, Shaq isn't exactly a great way to ease back into game shape. I was hoping he'd already be back by now, but now I hope he sits out one more game.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I hear Buckets has a hammy.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

lmao..lol...lmao
    Going to get the lasagna out the oven..I am ready!!My bruddah!
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

thanks for the avatar, my main bro. Thats been me for 30 years. I've always signed my name with that face and hat...u r the man!!:yo:
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well so much for recording the game. You gotta love Micro$haft Windows.

Maybe next time. GO PISTONS! BEAT THE HEAT!
  12. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The Central Importance of Me

The turning point in this game came at halftime, when I left the chat and vowed not to return if we picked it up in the second half. And lo, that's exactly what happened. So y'all are welcome and I'll never see you in the chat again.

No for real, I think there were two main stories in this one. The first was Rip's defense on Wade (helped about my a nice run by Lindsay in the 4th) and the team's overall defense in the 2nd half. Wade has always seemed to me to get easily frazzled and from there prone to forcing and turnovers. And Rip definitely discombobulated him throughout: staying in front of him, forcing him into forced contested jumpers. As for the team overall, the Heat scored just 30 points in the 2nd half and really had no offense at all outside of what Shaq could supply on occasion, and even that seemed to stop working in the 4th quarter. The second main story for me in this one was the turnovers and points off turnovers. The Pistons scored, I believe, 24 points off of 15 Miami turnovers, whereas the Heat scored exactly ZERO points off of 5 Pistons turnovers (including 0 in the 2nd half).

I also think the Pistons showed much better patience and judgment with their shot selection in the second half. Their shooting percentage overall still sucked (just 35 % for the game), but after shooting 13 impatient 3s in the first half, they shot just 9 in the second, almost all of them reasonably good looks in the flow of the offense. It's not that the Pistons started pounding the paint in the 2nd half (and I'll agree with those who say we could have done that more), but they did go inside a little more, and they certainly were getting more penetration to get to the line or to dish for shorter jumpers. This added up to a 47-30 Pistons advantage in the 2nd half. Someone wanted to domination from the game tonight and though the first half was pretty disappointing, I think in the 2nd half we saw solid Pistons domination: suffocating defense, patient, fluid offense, good contributions from Lindsey and Dyess off the bench, and an important professional adjustment away from what wasn't working and toward exploiting Miami's weaknesses (for example, Dyess taking Shaq out of the paint in the 4th; exposing Miami's weak perimeter game).

I think this was a big game, psychologically, for the team (though I expect they'll downplay it). They started out sluggishly and looked scared and they could have just continued to mail in the performance and prepared a post-game downplay spin. Instead, they relocated their missing cojones and stuck it to a team that -- judging from the looks on their faces in the early second half -- thought they were in control.

p.s. Zo's injury obviously made a difference, but I don't think his presence would have taken Miami over the top because what he provides isn't where Miami was struggling.
  13. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

YEAAAAH!!!!

:nod:

Brings everything back into the light doesn't it.

Defensive slippage my foot.

Our offense was way down, but we kept the defense. I didn't see the game, I just followed it on the net, well, better than nothing. The NBA TV here is showing Sonics and the Bucks????

Another DNP for Delfino, and here I was thinking that FLip said he'll use him against Wade. Hang in there Carlos, time will come. Don't make us all hate you by becoming your former primadonna self. :nod:

Way to hold down Wade. 3-15 shooting. Nice.

Shaq is always gonna be Shaq. Love the guy but unless he's in a Pistons Uniform I'm always gonna be against him.

NICE...........GO DETROIT. THe Central's ours now for sure.

Right?

:eyebrows:
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Heat came out red hot and the Ps were cold--in shooting only. the passing was there, just an icy rim. Then Rip hit a 3 and Dyess got hot and we erased a 10 deficit. Heat cooled off, party over. Heat was very physical in the paint.
    Rip could not hit a jumper off a curl to save his life.
    Mo came in and was 2 for 5 - 2 helps, 5 f'ups.
    ...Hey Himat did either of those guys get 10 pts?
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I have said all along on both boards that we can turn up the D when we want to. We didn't even go all out early. But our offense, (again), almost beat us. We had none in the first half. Most of the blame should fall on Chauncey. The Heat can guard us when we slow up tempo and do a two man game. Shaq can camp in the middle. What happened in the second half was that the second team spread the floor like Phoenix, the Heat were a bit more tired, and we exposed there slowness of foot. If we play up tempo against these guys, they can't beat us. If we slow it down, they can win. We need to use Ben in the offensive flow against this team and run them more--not necessarily to take a quick look but it puts them at a disadvantage on the set.

We did a good job of keeping Wade off of the boards. Believe it or not, we are guarding Shaq better this year than last year despite his good game. We now know Wade's game better too. Dyss creates all kinds of problems for this team. And we all saw what Tay did. But the key was getting more guys involved and upping the tempo.

Our edge is our overall team speed and youth and athleticism at key positions. Shaq is always dominant early but we save our fouls and our bigs for the second half. Shaq can play 40 minutes but he can't play 40 dominant minutes. Look at the shots. They are a two man team when push comes to shove.
  16. max

max All-Star

Nice win. And it puts the Pistons in lead of the season series 2-1.

Key points. Only 5 TO's for the Pistons and 15 for the Heat. The surplus in point off TO's was around 20. Slight edge in Offensive boards 12-10 which is a good sign. The Heat had an edge if Defensive boards 47-45 but the Pistons took 9 more shots and only shot 34% for the game.

great defensive effort. The Defense kept the Pistons in the game the 1st half.

On Shaq I though Dyess guarded him better than Ben. Ben did a great job fronting Shaq, Sheed seemed to play him straight up but Dyess was all over Shaq denying him the ball.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just got back to Chicago after driving back from the Palace. Our seats were on the floor behind the Pistons' basket. The automotion sat in front of us, which was pretty cool.

In the 2nd half, it was so loud that you couldn't hear the whistle when it was right in front of you. It was nothing like a regular season game in terms of amplitude. When Lindsay came in the game in the 4th quarter and turned up the D, and Sheed/ Dice started going crazy on the boards and loose balls, it got really nuts. I can truly see why home court is a big deal.

Random observations-
    The guys were so loose in the shoot-around that I can't see them being nervous for anything. Dice and Sheed were the clowns. Mo Evans seems pretty nice. He was joking around with some of the little kids in the front row. And Delfino really seemed to be joking around a lot too, which I wouldn't have expected.

In terms of the game, Rip seems impossible to guard up close. Shaq looked skinny. Sheed was harrassing everyone within his 5 foot circle without fouling. These guys play very clean.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Good sign from flip. almost every game I see flip not go to the bench in the fourth even if the starters are playing bad or are tired. He went with the bench and that move helped us win. He is not known for making good adjusments, but he did today and it stopped Wade. We'l truly see if he can change things up in the playoffs. We lost by 2 on the boards, but the effort was there. We missed so many shots, and it's much easier to get a defensive board than an offensive one.
  19. collins18

collins18 Second Round Draft Pick

Wade quote- " I misssed some shots that I normally make," Wade says "Thay pressured me and they got away with the things the Pistons normally get away with."

He "gets away" with his fair share. It didn't go his way this time and he's gonna cry about to the press? I thought a lot more of Wade before this. Believe me if the Pistons lost like that last night, and then came out and said something like that, I wouldn't be too pleased either. They lost, fair and square.
  20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

absolutely

Impressive coaching by Flip in the second half to get the team back into the game. He just raised my confidence level up a notch although I'm still concerned about Shaq in the playoffs now. Flip did not force Shaq to play "D" in the post this game. If we do that in the playoffs, Shaq will abuse us.

Can't wait to see how we handle the Dallas game as I believe they might be our stiffest competition with an injured Duncan and a Zo-less Heat.