Pistons vs. Rockets - Jan 22, 2006

Discussion in 'January 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Jan 21, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Anyone remember the Jordan rules? Maybe Flipper should call Daddy Rich and figure out some T-Mac rules.

40+ against the Pistons. Are we sure that they didn't borrow Smush Parker from the Lakers for one game to guard? T-Mac.? LOL
  2. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

40 points.... blah, and to think i thought we were going to be ripped on the espn shows tonight.... thanks kobe.
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Re: Absolutely Evans had a good game tonight

@ SA
    2 points (2 of 3), 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 foul

vs. Miami
    5 points (2 of 4), 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 1 foul

@ Cleveland
    1 point (0 of 2), 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 fouls

A combined 8 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, and 4 fouls in those 3 games. Evans was just as good (or mediocre I should say) in those games.

The biggest difference I see is that Mo Evans has hit BIG shots for us in the 3rd and 4th quarters in close games (he hit a big 3 today when we were down 1 point with 6 minutes left in the game). Delfino has not. The Boston game was his only real shining moment. Most of his other points were garbage-time buckets. I'll give him the Clippers and Heat games, but Evans has that kind of impact every other game or so, so I need to see more.

We can talk about talent all we want, but Evans is going out there and producing. His shot may be ugly, and his game may be limited, but he always seems to find a way to put points on the board and hustle for those rebounds. And his defense is getting better as we speak.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

when you all turn 42 like me, u will look back and realize how special seeing ANYONE score 81 pts in a game. I saw David Thompson's 73 pts vs 'us' and it was crazy cuz he's only 6'3"! I love NBA LEAGUE PASS and this is why...Pistons and Kobe back to back. We cant wait til we go to Showtimeland. He'll be psyched to play us...my bruddahs!
    Great games all over league tonight and our boy, Jerome , is coming home for the SuperBowl...wooooo!
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Max, like Cbill said, Sometimes Sheeds head aint right in the game. Cause when it is we're unstoppable.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Did you forget about defense?

Delfino did a decent job guarding Wade, LaBron, and Ginobili in those three games. Delfino also does a lot of good ball handling that helps our offense score points. This does not alway show up in the stat sheet.
  7. FreshPrince22

Re: Did you forget about defense?

I'll give you Wade. I was impressed with his defense on him (he guarded him as well as anyone). He only saw Ginobili for a few plays. Defended him well on one or two and gave a touch foul on the other. In fact, they were only in the game at the same time for a little over a minute. And Lebron just lit him up (as he did everyone), so I don't know about that one.
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

that's not true, Delfino guarded LeBron as well as anyone can, he made Lebron make tough shots, he made the refs bail Lebron out with cheap fouls.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Any idea why Delfino only was given 10 minutes after several consistently good performances? Was it because the game was close? Flip played Evans during crunch time in the closing minutes so I'm curious as to why Delfino didn't get his usual minutes throughout the game?
  10. FreshPrince22

It's because he was picking up fouls like crazy. Mo Evans was doing a decent job on T-Mac (or rather, T-Mac went cold against him, so Flip didn't want to change anything to ruin that trend).
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm seeing decent improvement by both players... that's all we should ask for... some posters are gonna be more partial for foreign players .. and some for domestic talent... that might not change no matter what happens.

I really would like to see Delfino actually finish one of his drives to the hoop (not including breakaways).

Contrary to some forum perception neither are good passers (too many bad passes or fumbles).

Delfino showed good shooting range in Italy.
  12. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Yep. Even Chauncey acknowledged as much in a candid moment during a post-game interview following the Pistons' recent victory over the Spurs (when Rasheed scored 27):

"We tried to get 'Sheed' aggressive early," Billups explained. "When we do that and his mind is right, he's impossible to guard. He was very focused and he got us off to a great jump start."

If interested, you can find the article containing these remarks by doing a google search for "Pistons Punish Spurs Again," and then using the "cached" feature to pull up the article.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

review of game

Gee, it was comical rewatching the last few minutes of the game. The announcers, between them, fooled themselves. TMAC had sat down for a spell mid-4th quarter. When he came back, he pretty much was missing all his shots. At first the announcers acknowledged that the sit was a likely cause. But they also then said the defense we were playing might be slowing TMAC down. Nope. He was just missing shots, pure and simple. Then it got strange. All the sudden McLeod announced that Evans had played great D on TMAC. Sorry, he did not. Evans hit some shots. He closed out on and blocked the shot of Wesley. He did some good rebounding. But no, he never was effective guarding TMAC.

On the other hand, I will tell you who was sold short by the announcers big time. Tay. Tay did a fine job guarding TMAC. Other than about 3 times, at most, Tay stayed with TMAC just fine except for the following:

Twice, Mutombo sat clearly illegal picks to get TMAC free from Tay. That ain't TMAC. Thats the officials missing a fine game. And once, Dyess and Tay, as a pair, defended the pick and roll poorly. Dyess ended up picking Tay off of TMAC. Dyess did not show enough. Or, if Dyess was not going to show that much, Tay should have known and slid under Dyess. Instead, Tay ran into his own man. In any case, this one took the cooperation of two players to mess up.

Tay is the guy who was right up on TMAC in that last minute and truly made TMAC miss. Tay did this several times in the game. Nobody else did this as much, although Sheed and CB, and Rip each managed it one time. Evans never did more than wave at a shot after TMAC lost him. Evans being there, generally late, does not mean he bothered the shot. For the most part, Evans does not even have the height needed to bother TMAC's jumper.

Again, this by no means takes away from all the good boardwork Evans did. But I think we were sold a bill of goods by the announcers by the end of this game.

Delfino was in first off the bench before Evans in the 2nd half of the game. And he could have kept himself out there. He missed a triple. Missed a close in push shot. If he had not fumbled the ball when he did, it might have been a couple minutes before the next play stoppage. Anyway, its not like Delfino did all that poorly or anything. Just missed some shots.

I do not fault Billups for taking those triples he missed late. He did not have a very good offensive team out there. The unit was Billups, who can handle the ball, along with Rip, who really can't, Evans, who can't, and a couple of bigs. Plays were not going to get ran too crisply with that crew.

Yes, I see what one poster meant. If Luther Head had hit that shot to win it for Houston, Evans would have been the goat, as he missed his rotation there. At first I thought he was helping to double TMAC, but watching again shows he was just floating.

The Pistons knocked down those 4 triples early, in the first quarter. Rip finally connected on one in the 2nd half to end a very long drought on that. Just kind of points out that its Rip who is our best percentagewise 3 point shooter, not Sheed, Tay, or CB, who all take more.

The Pistons played a ton of zone in this game, trying to negate TMAC getting picks to get open. I'd say for the most part, it did not work. TMAC kept finding the seams in our zone.

To balance out this post, in case I get accused of bashing Evans (But I wrote this post to tell how darn valuable Tay is.) I will mention a couple of good things Evans did. We did get up to a 13 point lead on the fast break dunk by Evans late in the 2nd quarter. So my observation in my game report that the only time we gained some lead was with Arroyo in was wrong. We actually gained another 6 points up to and including that dunk after Arroyo came off the floor. The bad call was kind of a momentum killer though, and we did not finish the half strong. It was a bogus tech they gave Evans for hanging on the rim. Instead, they should have T'd up Mutombo for moving under Evans.

Evans actually drove the ball in once in the 2nd half, and kicked out to Sheed. It was not the best play. Sheed did not get that open and had to fade back on his shot. Still, it was an attempt by Evans to handle the ball and make a play happen. Ok, so this is not too complimenting of Evans. What was though is his drive from the corner and reverse. And his getting some scoring done inside, getting fouled and hitting some free throws.

I want to clarify the part about Tay guarding TMAC. Yes, there were three times TMAC just simply lost Prince, all by himself. (No illegal picks, no bungled defense) The three plays I mentioned after that were separate from those.
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: review of game

and lee tries to slide his anti-evans post in while no one is paying attention anymore

somehow tmac lights tayshaun up, and can't score with evans on him, yet tayshaun played awesome defense on tmac?

FACT: if delfino did the same thing as evans during the 4th quarter, and tmac didn't score, lee would be all over delfino's nuts like a dog lickin peanut butter off his balls
  15. FreshPrince22

Re: review of game

Exactly. The fact of the matter is... T-Mac missed a lot of shots with Mo Evans on him at the end of the game. I don't care how it happend, I just care about results. For all we know, Evans was doing something subtle that took him out of his rhythm. Who knows?
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Announcers

I find the statement that you could care less how it happened a bit disturbing. And you call me biased? Look, the announcers were saying TMAC was missing the same shots he was making earlier. They contributed that to the fact TMAC sat a while. They also noted the guy was hurting from a fall he took late in the game in a scrum for a rebound.

From there, they started saying its possible. Possible. That Evans was bothering TMAC. Reviewing the tape, I find that it turns out that other than arriving as TMAC was hoisting, and waving at the shot, Evans most certainly not affect the shots TMAC took.

The announcers, in just over a minute, went from, possible that Evans was doing something to Evans did a terrific job on TMAC. Like they had not heard a work that they had said a few moments earlier.

Lastly, if you want to argue these points, why not record the game and take a good look again? It does not take but a few minutes to review the few times that Evans was on TMAC. And you then could give your truly informed opinion. This day and age, I can't see any excuse why a person so interested in the Pistons would not do this.

On the other hand, if you don't feel like reviewing the game like that, please at least appreciate the efforts I put in to doing so. I am not out to diss Evans. Just to tell what I see.
  17. FreshPrince22

Re: Announcers

But 99% of your posts involve discrediting anything good Evans did and praising every single facet of Delfino's game. Even in the case of this game where Evans CLEARLY had the better game. Every time the guy he's defending misses shots or just doesn't score a lot you blame it on them being "cold" or them "not being aggressive". Every time he puts up 8, 10, maybe 15 points it's because the competition sucked. Yet Delfino can put up 2 points on 1 of 4 shooting and you'll say he was fantastic, even if he didn't impact the game in other ways.

And BTW, I have been Tivo-ing every single Pistons game for the last 2 1/2 years. You are not the first person to discover this technology. My point still stands. Evans did fine job on T-mac in the 4th quarter. Tayshaun, Rip, Billups, and Delfino all got some minutes on him, and Evans was the most effective for what ever reason, so I'll take it. T-mac didn't do much of anything on him. He challenged his shots, forced some misses, and he even knocked down the final go-ahead basket of the game (on a three pointer).

Trust me, I am completely impartial. I like Delfino's game as much as anyone, but I also realize what Mo Evans can bring to the table. I'll tell it like it is even if they are my favorite player or my least favorite.
  18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

well said, Belle Aire's Finest. :)

The amount of detail Lee presents on discrediting Evans can be easily applied to every player on the court, yet Lee decides to focus his attention on Maurice. We have all seen many occasions where our team defense or on ball defense has not been up to par by our starters yet they do not see the same level of interrogation by our resident expert. I appreciate Lee's efforts, but his descriptions definitely yield a biased approach often with an agenda in mind. I would suggest that if every player on the Pistons roster was subjected to Lee's Evans criteria for success, no one would have a passing grade.
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice to see you guys picking up the torch on Lee's biased reporting... after 5 years I finally just put him on the ignore list (unfortunately quotes still can be seen).... word to the wise... you'll never get through to him when it comes to comparing his pets to his whipping boys.... if you could somehow filter out the words "Darko", "Evans" "Arroyo" "Hunter", and "Delfino" you'd have a worthwhile recap.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You can't see this

Cause as you are part of the staff here, I can't put you on ignore. So anybody not on Mercury's ignore list, please inform him not to mention me in his posts.