Pistons vs Sabres

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 13, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

As we all know the Pistons tied a franchise record last night and reduced the playoff home court advantage magic number to "one". However the NBA headlines this morning in the National press is LeBron tweaks ankle, James turns ankle, etc etc adnauseam (sic)

Whereas the national hockey headlines are "Sabres tie franchise record" and they don't even have the best team in the NHL.

Not that we don't all know it already or much less need to continue to read it and hear it but this is just more evidence to show that no matter how good the Pistons are the NBA is a "Star" based business and team records mean nothing when it comes to the media unless it is in a big media town like NY, Chicago or L.A. or unless the "Superstar" is on a winning team.

P.S. I am a little surprised that the Tones have folded a bit down the stretch with two losses at home. Anyway if the Pistons fab five + two stay healthy no reason the championship trophy can't be returned to the Palace at Auburn Hills come this June.

I say two because in addition to Dyess Tony D. is playing well enough to have become important to the Pistons having a successful playoff run.

Happy dribbling
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't care if the media doesn't give Detroit props throughout the season. As a fan, I don't need validation from the talking heads. I'll rejoice in the wins.

By the Finals (:fingerscr ) we'll be neck deep in everything Pistons. Media sensory overload. That should satisfy some folks.

Oh, and don't be so hard on the Sabres. If we were them, we'd certainly want some recognition for a franchise season, no matter how modest the win total. It cuts both ways and there are what, 120 professional franchises in North America?
  3. buddahfan

Unfortunately I do read other papers outside of Michigan and watch media outside of Michigan and it does bother me that it is hard to get favorable press and media coverage outside the state of Michigan because I would like to read some favorable media coverage about the Pistons without being forced to read Michigan based newspapers.

Actually I am from Buffalo so it is nice to see the Sabres doing well even though living in So. CA for over 3 decades I have pretty much lost intererst in hockey, even though there are teams out here.

happy dribbling.
  4. buddahfan

P.S.

It is not just about the Pistons that upsets me it is the whole idea of the NBA being a "Star" based sport and not a team based sport. I have never liked that concept in any sport. That is one reason I like baseball and basketball because even though teams have stars in those sports with 11 and 9 guys on the field it takes more than just one superstar to carry the load.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

yeah, the concept sucks...but you cant argue with the fact that it has made basketball the most popular sport on the planet (minus soccer).
  6. buddahfan

Geez and I always thought sex was the most popular sport on the planet. Maybe I have missed something all these years. :laugh::laugh:
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't like it much either, but I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. Wasn't too long ago the league was in serious trouble and Stern pulled the whole Magic / Bird thing out of his hat and we were off to the races. Now though all we get for game promotions is "James versus Wade" and crap like that.

I guess it's not just basketball, or even sports in general. It's a star obsessed world with too many media vehicles, too little content, and audiences with attention spans that don't last more than fifteen seconds.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Budda, I been saying that all along. Detroit needs a whole image makeover. Does it need to be as in your face as NY, hell no? This is why when sports talk guys dis' Detroit, I call in and say, check yourself!
    ...PapaJo, is back in Vegas again. [Chicago wore him out] And he got on the band wagon a little yesterday. He asked, "Hey Mich., If you could sacrifice a Piston or Wing 'ship for a Lion SB, would you do it ? I called in and said, I've give up Stevie Y, CB and BBen for Brady and Belilcic or the "Chin" and Rothesburger.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have been sitting here all day watching ESPN news and the LBJ highlight of him tweaking his ankle which has shown at the top and bottom of each the hour. Although most NBA media experts question why King James was still playing in a blowout game where they were down 21 near the end of the 3rd qtr, none mention how dominating the Pistons were to get the big halftime lead vs a hot team that had won 9 of their last 10.

No props to the Pistons and the TNT group now has a meaningless game of Lobronless Cavs and NY Bricks. A lot of fodder for Barkley tonight.