1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons vs. Shaq vs. refs

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Apr 3, 2006.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I found this latest squabble between Shaq and NBA officials a bit encouraging.

Shaq calls out NBA's Jackson, referees

By Chris Perkins
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Monday, April 03, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Shaquille O'Neal returned from his two-game absence because of a swollen left knee, and he's mad at Stu Jackson, the NBA's vice president.

O'Neal, who picked up five fouls to go along with 18 points, nine rebounds and six turnovers in a 90-78 Sunday loss at New Jersey, thinks the league has a bias against him...........

http://tinyurl.com/gqtkp

Anything that focuses on Shaq's constant barrage of offensive fouls, three second violations or traveling should be helpful if we face the Heat in the ECF. Maybe a spat between Shaq and League officials could end up helping us?

2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Who knew.
    Shaq and Sheed are kindred sprits.

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I think Shaq is becoming a big cry baby. He is one spoiled brat if you ask me. For 13 years now he has had the sports world in love with him. A taleted big man with enormous size and skill, he makes the game seem unfair to his opponents.

As his career is now on a downward spiral, and players like D Wade, Lebron, Mello, D Howard, Kobe, and the Pistons are mentioned more than himself, he might feel a bit disrespected.

Injuries and the realization that the championship window is being slammed shut may have him saying, "you can at least let me continue to punish whoever is defending me by swinging my massive elbows in their face".

The fact is Shaq has been playing this way for years and it was accepted by the league, and players. Who would challenge Shaq after an elbow to the chops?

You see if you take away that pet elbow smashing maneuver, Shaq would have no go to move in the paint. Think about it.

My question is - Will the ref`s be consistent calling that play? I say no, especially if it`s Ben`s mug on the other end of the elbow.

Did anyone see Ben after the last hard foul to his head? I was trying to read his lips and I could have sworn he announced, "that`s the last time somebody hits me in the head fouling me!" He was about to go off Ron Artest style on somebody.

We will not have long to wait. Let`s see what happens Thursday night. Don`t bet on Shaq having that call against him that often.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah sure Shaq. Man never met an excuse he didn't like. You never know until it happens, but those sound like suspending words to me. Bet you dollars to doughnuts the big man sits either against Milawukee on Tuesday or against the Pistons on Thursday, maybe both.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I mentioned this possibility before the season started.... the new rule states that a player can not go through another players space to gain position... that's Shaqs calling card.
    He's being forced to use lateral movement... his weakness.
    He still gets away with more than any player in the league in regards to the new rule but at least there's a deterant to his abuse before he shoots....
    He's never gonna outquick Ben for position (then again Ben will never keep him from getting under the basket).
    I'm hoping this will force Shaq to bring his elbows down before turning for the shot... this will expose the ball more for smaller players.

6. max

max All-Star

Merc. Actually I was not aware of that change. Makes sense though. Not why the league would do it but it explains a lot of what I have seen from Shaq this season. Especially the last Piston/Heat game it seemed way to easy to front him.

7. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Since the begining of time the rules have allowed an offensive player to clear some room in front by swinging his elbows side to side, as long as both hands are on the ball. As a matter of fact one way to get away with hooking a defender as you pass by is to do it with your elbows and again two hands on the ball. That was a Mark Aguirre special.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

While I was watching San Antonio lose to Sacramento last night Bill Walton said that exact thing. Duncan got called for hooking and Walton said something like "keep both hands on the ball big fella when you drop step and you won't get that call"

The Shaq move is different though...more than just a two hands on the ball pivot...more like I'm going to ram my meaty elbow into the defenders face, beat them senseless, shuffle my feet type of move.