Pistons will become the next Pacers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by booggerg, May 30, 2006.

1. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

After loosing this series, and having seen the coming of age of the Cavs, I can't help but think that the Pistons will follow the Pacers down their road of failures and rebuilding in the years to come..

What a difference a week makes...
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The goal was always to win now. Unfortunately, drafting William Bedford Mark II, a less than aggressive policy in free agency, complacency and coaching instability have derailed that to a great degree.

All those folks who worried about the future will see it faster than they could have hoped. Detroit will still be competitive, the roster needs some work, and Flip (or whoever is coaching 2 years down the road) needs to establish a strong presence from the sidelines.
  3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

What's your definition of competitive? Do you think that Joe will see that this team continues to be contenders ?
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is just too much talent (and trade value) on this team for us to completely fall into oblivion.

Of course it doesn't feel like it right now, but maybe this will end up being the best thing for this franchise. Everyone, from Joe D. to the players to us as fans, have become a bit too complacent with our recent success. While other teams have been getting hungrier and nastier, we've been getting more and more house trained.

The team isn't old by any stretch, but we aren't getting any younger either, and the older players' contracts are starting to come up for renewal, so maybe this is the perfect opportunity to start going in a different direction.

I don't think we'll see a complete house cleaning (nor should we), but maybe having the longest serving starting 5 in the NBA is starting to become a negative?

Joe D has proven that he isn't afraid to pull the trigger to make his team better. He fired 2 winning coaches, traded for Sheed, signed an injury prone Dice, traded Darko, etc.

Like I said before, its going to be a LONG offseason, but it should also be interesting. Hopefully, it will be for the right reasons...
  5. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

JO said the same thing on TNT.. I was pissed because I thought he was just venting his own frustrations, but now I see it unfolding right in front of me.
  6. roscoe36

First or second place division finishes.

Everyone who qualifies in the top 4 seeds in a conference is a contender.

Do I think that Joe will see that we aren't contenders? I dunno. How does one make that call? If I had a crystal ball, I would be researching lottery #s, not our 2007 draft pick. ;)
  7. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

OK, forget the crystal ball and seeding. By contending I meant a team that has favorable odds that they will be truly contending for a title. Given what we know today, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Mavs and Spurs will still be in the mix next season barring any major changes or injuries. The Kings as another example will more than likely not be a team that are serious threat to win it all. Where do you think the Pistons will stand once the off-season begins. Will Joe making the needed changes?
  8. jammertime

[SARCASM]
    I've got it. We trade Cato and the pick we got from Orlando for D Wade, Carmelo Anthony or Chris Bosh.
    [/SARCASM]
  9. G-man

G-man Starter

Cinch up your jockstraps..

So much gloom and doom. The Pistons have played like crap over the last two weeks after pretty much blowing off everyones doors since November. The fat lady isn't singing, she may be gurgling a bit, but she isn't warbling like a canary. Sometimes you have to roll with the punches, you have to absorb some body blows.

There has been some horrible officiating that has gone both ways. Though yesterday it all shook out at the Pistons expense. The 3rd qtr Wade "flying through the air" call where he landed on McDyess who had both feet planted outside the arc - was about as obvious as it gets. But the Pistons have whined their way into the 'sky is falling' category all by their lonesomes.

I don't think they're dead. I don't think they'll go quietly into the night. I think it's only just beginning. Now cinch up your jockstraps and put away the crying towels. For christ sakes you're Detroiters not Lakers fans..
  10. jammertime

Re: Cinch up your jockstraps..

Like I just posted in another thread, the Pistons we've come to know and love could come back from being down 3-1, but I don't know about the team we're seeing right now.

And besides that, by being optimistic, aren't we just playing into the Pistons "we have to have our backs against the wall before we actually give a crap" mindset?

I'm starting to think that I WANT the Pistons to lose game 5. I'm starting to think that I'm willing to sacrifice this season (with is already about 99% from being lost anyway), to hopefully wake this team, and the entire organization up from its deep sleep.

If we were to come back and win this series, do you really think that it would wake the team up permenantly, or would we just be back in the same boat in the finals?????

This team's MO for FAR too long has been to let inferior teams hang around and to come out flat against equal or superior teams.

Well, I for one am officially sick of it.
  11. G-man

G-man Starter

For whoever wins the Finals it's the minimum of a 98 game season not counting the exhibitions. I'm not wanting my team to lose cause I'm depressed or because I didn't recognize certain signs along the way. The Heat and Cavs are for real. That doesn't cheapen the Pistons season.

The reality is the Pistons are a very good team, not a great team.
    The reality is other teams can provide some tough mismatches.
    The reality is other coaches might out coach our coach.
    The reality is the Officiating has altered many series for many teams.

But it's been a great ride, a better ride than most other teams fans will ever get. These guys have provided some great entertainment on many a cold winter night over the last four seasons. I appreciate every game they've given us. I know they can't always play at their peak, I'd have preferred this current rut earlier in the season, who wouldn't?

But I'm not getting off the goddamn bus until it careens into a cement buttment. And when it does, I'll scrape my azz up off the floor, look around for other scragglers, high five the baztards and sign back up for another hitch.

Go Pistons.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Re: Cinch up your jockstraps..

YEAH!!!! THAT'S RIGHT DAMNIT!!!! PISTON FANS!!!! DETROITERS!!!! IT'S TIME TO GO EASTSIDE ON THAT %%%%%!!!!!! 7 MILE WHERE YA AT!!!!
    GRAND RIVER WHERE YA AT!!!!!! WOODWARD REPRESENT!!!!! ALL MY UAW SOLDIERS STAND UP!!!!! IT'S TIME FOR WAR DAMMIT!!!!! WE AIN'T LOSING TO SOME OVER PRIVILEGED, FUN IN THE SUN, OOOOOOOHHH LOOK AT MY LAMBORGHINI, SOUTH BEACH %%%%%ES.........TUNE UP THOSE PIPES ANITA, L. BROOKS PATTERSON- YOU AND KWAME SETTLE YOUR DIFFERENCES, WE GOT BIGGER FISH TO FRY...........BOB SEEGER, TAKE THOSE OLD RECORDS OFF THE SHELF!!!!!! GET YOUR LUNCHPAILS, THERMOS', BLUE COVERALLS, HARD HAT, SAFETY GOGGLES (OSHA regulations), STEEL TOE BOOTS, ID BADGES HOP INTO YOUR F-150'S- DODGE RAMS- OR CHEVY SILVERADO'S.....NO BENTLEY'S, BENZ'S, BEEMERS, AUDI'S, RANGE ROVERS OR ANY OTHER OF THEM PIMA DONNA CARS ......WE'RE GOIN' TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] <--------That's how our starting five and every fan in the bldg should look tomarrow.
  13. roscoe36

We had very favourable odds this year. They still have to play the games.

That goes for just about any team. Maybe Rip and Sheed are hurting. Maybe Billups is hurting. If Dirk's ankle was tweaked, where would they be?

One player away. Every team in the mix is usually one player and a few bounces away.

Again, you're asking me to predict the future. The only thing I can say with certainty is that the offseason doesn't start until Ben's contract is dealt with.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

G-Man you are the savior, I'm going to the store and buy a Faygo and a bag of Better Made potato chips on my way to the park to hold court while wearing a Detroit Pistons #1, Chuancey Billups jersey. Then I'm eating nothing but Coney Island food until we win another 'ship, which will be THIS YEAR!!!!!!!
  15. roscoe36

Pass the Koolaid. Save a drowning man. I want to believe.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

last night/this morning I was numb, and hurt, and sad......Now thanx to wily vets like G-Man- My Main Man I realized that the team is 2nd in all of this......DETROIT is first. Before I'm a Piston fan, I'm a Detroit Fan....I love the city.....give up on it if you will.....but I'll be here.....fighting for Detroit, Fighting for Jobs to stay in america, fighting for Det Public Schools, and Prayin' for Kwame to figure it out:fingerscr . So since I'll never give up on Detroit, I'll NEVER GIVE UP ON THE PISTONS even though they all live in and play in auburn hills:doh: Pass the Faygo......It's ON!!!!!!!!! Pistons call your families......we're working overtime......
  17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

YES!!!

Right there with you! Now that's what i meant by a dharma chameleon, but said WAYYYYY better!!!
  18. roscoe36

I'm pretty sure that a Dharma Chameleon thrives in the realm of non-attachment. Recognizing the wall is brick and all that.

You're the expert Prof. Am I on the right track?
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For all you tennis players out there, here is where we are at...

We are down 3-5 and it is our serve. They call it being down 1 break. We hold serve and we break them once, then we go to the next set.

For all you golfers out there, here is the situation...

Miami is on the 18th tee at 10 under par. We are on the 15th tee at 8 under par. They are ahead, but we still have a par 5 ahead of us, which we will birdie. So all we have to do is pick up a stroke on one of the par 4's to tie it up.

Hockey analogy... nevermind that one.
  20. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

With me my friend, yes. And G-Man arrived to remind us that we haven't hit the wall yet. Not until the final buzzer sounds of a game with the pistons on the wrong end of the score. Until then, no need to stretch our necks out to bang against it. The reality right now is that it is 3 games to 1. The reality right now is that they play tomorrow night. That's it. After the game, the reality will be different (obviously) and then it will be time to adjust to that reality, whatever it may be.