Pistons will become the next Pacers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by booggerg, May 30, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can accept all of that, and it HAS been a great ride. But I want more!!

I can handle losing to a better team.
    I can handle losing the lucky bounces.
    I can handle losing to a healthier team.
    I can handle losing to a more rested team.
    I can handle bad calls.

What I can't handle, and what I fear we're currently experiencing, is
    Losing because we can't execute
    Losing because we aren't playing hard or strong enough
    Losing because the effort isn't there.
    Losing because we underestimate our opponent and overestimate ourselves.

My loyalty isn't based on Won/Loss records or Championships. I'm not going to jump ship if we lose (I'm also a life long Lions fan). What pisses me off is when the team appears as if they don't care. If we lose because Miami is a better team, gets more lucky bounces, is healthier, fine. If we lose to Miami because we can't execute, can't finish plays, can't play as a team THAT is what REALLY makes me mad.
  2. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Re: Cinch up your jockstraps..

What the hell you talking about, JT?? :nono:

If you are a diehard fan, a true diehard fan. A true, dedicated diehard fan. You never under any circumstances want your team to lose. You stick with them to the end, even when you're so upset, and you feel they let you down, like last night.

I understand you want them to wake up, you want them to understand that changes need to be made. We all want the same things that you want. You have genuine legitimate reasons. This team has some serious issues that need to be addressed in the off-season. That time will come.

But, don't give up on them yet, man. Not during game six of the Eastern conference Finals. There's still work to be done yet.

At least wait until the dirt has been shoveled on top of them.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think what Jammer is saying, is that if what we have been watching is Detroit Basketball, it's damn hard to get excited about that.

It's up to the guys to restore the roar. We've been carrying them emotionally in "fan world" for several games now.

It's time to put up or shut up for these fellas. If they're proud, play like it. If they're good, play like it. If they want a title, play like it.

True fans can live with going out guns blazing. True fans should expect no less.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons had the best record in the entire NBA. Where do you think they stand? The Pistons were the best team in the entire league. Why are there "needed changes"? Perhaps a chemistry change would help, but the Pistons certainly have the talent right now to win the NBA Championship. They just need to play smarter, hungrier, and better. All of this roster and staff overhaul talk is reactionary nonsense, in my opinion.
  5. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

As you said your opinion, not mine.
  6. BillLaimbeer

Why all the doom and gloom now? Everyone thought the Pistons and their coaches were the greatest thing since sliced bread a couple of weeks ago. Besides a couple of crappy games, what else has changed?
  7. roscoe36

The Low has been pretty consistently miserable.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons don't exactly have the same players that they had all season. The team was 43-9 with Arroyo/Darko = .827

Since the trade, the team is 30-16 = .625

Orlando was batting .365 before the trade and .566 after.

So, with the current group of players that Detroit has, we would have had the 5th best record in the NBA. Finishing 4th is over achieving!

I certainly do not attibute our great early season record to Darko, but maybe Arroyo was providing some value. Maybe some of his contribution was showing up in other players stats (ex Dyess).
  9. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Zoso, don't pick on jammer. It's just a matter of perspective. He's looking to the future. The players have given nothing to us to be confident about or cheer for. Losing now in such a disarray could spark POSITIVE changes. I don't agree in this case, but it's not like he doesn't want the team to do well. If they are going to lose, who cares if its 5, 6 or 7 games? If they get blown out in game 5, there could be massive changes that could let us rebound faster back to contender status. If they fight it out and limp to game 7, Joe might be inclined to stick with the bad seeds and we'd be "good" but not contenders and we could get ourselves into a jam with contracts.

As much crap as we talk, we are all going to be cheering them in every game. During downtime, things tend to fester and emotions get the better of us.
  10. BillLaimbeer

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.
  11. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Hold up, SK.

I'm not "picking" on Jammer. JammerTime, and I are cool.

I'm simply stating. That you should never actually want your team to lose under any circumstance, ever...Period.

Unless of course you're trying to tank the season to get a better draft pick. Other than that, I can't possibly see how anyone can be a true diehard Piston fan and actually want them to lose a huge game six Eastern Conference Final playoff game. That's just a foreign concept to me!

I sit here and watch these playoff games with my gut literally twitching and wrenching with each and every possession. While at the same time I'm actually kicking my legs and arms out in front of me as each shot attempt goes up.

I want this team to win. I don't care how they do it, and I don't care how awful they've been playing. I don't care that they've been tanking these last 7-8 games and complaining/whining their way through the games. I still want them to win.

I am a fan. Sometimes I go overboard. But I never, ever, under any circumstances, whether it be preseason, regular-season or postseason, do I want to see this team lose. Especially in a playoff game as huge as this. I can't even fathom that.

Everything in my house is Pistons memorabilia. Everything you can possibly imagine. From shot glasses to bobble heads, mouse pads, my kids backpacks, they wear to school, along with their coats.

Because I love them that much. I have my whole life. My whole family does. Although, definitely not as much as I do.

Any changes that need to be addressed will be addressed next season. Now's not the time for that, this is the playoffs.

We are supposed to go ahead and lose this game so we can ship some guys out here? You can't be serious.

Win now, roster adjustments are for next season.

Right now, it's time to get some payback! :nod:
  12. max

max All-Star

I respect the enthusiasm but when I see a 4 point Pistons lead in the late 3rd in the most important game of the season, up to this point, I do not expect to see it end in a 15 point loss.

Something has changed and unless the Pistons have a come to jesus kind of moment this series will end either tomorrow night or on Friday..
  13. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I remember that not too long ago once the Pistons got the lead in the 4th they would clamp down and it was a sure W. Now they regularly blow 4th qtr leads.
  14. max

max All-Star

I used to love watching other teams fold. I remember those days.
  15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

REGULAR SEASON MEANS NOTHING!! Thats why Shaq does not care if he sits out regular season games or coasts along the 82 game schedule. He knows his limits at his age and this stage of his career. He knows when to turn it on and he smells blood. The Pistons have never had that killer instinct. It has been known around the league for a while now that the Pistons were a soft team. Not physically but mentally. Confuse them and take them out of their game. Riley is a master at messing with a teams head. Miami had 6 days to prepare for them and laid in the bushes like a thief in the night. We still have good talent but obviously we don't have anyone who can contain King James and Wade two up and coming guys in the East. So if we don't make some adjustments we will become a has been ball club that is irrelavant like the Pacers if we are not careful.

I am not a fair weather fan. We can't win or go to the finals every year. I just want to see us compete as hard as we can and if we get beat we get beat. Give Miami there credit and live on to fight another day. The Spurs got tossed a couple of years out of the playoffs after winning in 99 so we can slightly retool and be back in the hunt. We just need to stop being cheap. We are raking in money hand over fist go out and get two guys that can score off the bench at the 2/3 spots and we will be just fine. Joe D. basketball is a youth game stop signing old fossils to ride the bench and provide nothing in production or any benifit what so ever.
  16. roscoe36

This is a really objective and forward thinking take Winless. Great stuff.
  17. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Winless Wonders:
    So sayeth the "Win Now" club! :nod: