1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons Will Hire John Kuester

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Krowe, Jul 7, 2009.

1. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

But seriously, our track record with coaches is absolutely asinine.

When does a bit of faith step in when it comes to Joe? This one just screams interim coach, and he just about came out and said it.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just read through the thread. I don't see ppl complaining about experience as much as the actual choice.

I've thought about this and i'm OK w/ it. I don't expect us to be good next year so i guess it doesn't matter who we bring in as coach.. He's an offense guy so our players won't have to play defense and since many of them don't like to and/or aren't good at it, this is a logical strategy.

He's a funny looking man and his facial expressions will provide me w/ hours of entertainment.

The Cavs fans are supposedy sad, and that makes me happy. Reading their board should be fun.

He can't be any worse than Curry can he?

And maybe BL will be hired as an assistant . . .

Or we are waiting until LB leaves the Bobcats and we are title ready again ?

Possible negatives;

Firing him after a year will make us look worse to potential coaches

He could be worse than Curry

Defense?!

I hated the Cavs offense

3. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Utter BS. What's Hammond done in Milwaukee yet? Nothing. Jebus man, as if Dumars' fingerprints aren't all over this franchise. Yes, Curry was a bad choice I guess (even though his roster was a disaster). Joe gave Curry a chance and decided to move on.

My point is you are overreacting.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pros:
    He played under Dean Smith
    He was good enough to play in the NBA
    He has assisted Larry Brown and was an asset
    He has been pseudo coach in Cleveland while they have had a lot of success.
    He supposedly has good offensive schemes.

Cons:
    ???

My biggest worry is that he doesn't have the personality to be head honcho. The only reason that I worry about this is because he has been an assistant so long and the Cavs found Mike Brown to be valuable for communication and command alone... which is unusual.

Can anyone comment on this aspect?

We will have virtually all new players this season. Our defensive identity will be gone and we will have new starters who aren't used to defending. Is this guy capable of managing all of the dynamics that go along with this?

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is actually the same knock of Thibbodeou (sp?)

I can't comment except to say it worries me as well.

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Aah, anything that makes those crybabies sad makes me happy. I'm really warming up this guy.
    To be fair, Cavs offense really meant LeBrons offense. Without having to deal with an ego that bends the fabric of space time, Kuester may prove to be quite a capable creative coach.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

There don't seem to be a lot of options for who can screen for Rip. I hope he doesn't come in with some crazy notion of changing that.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No Ta, Phase 1 was when Joe cut a deal with the Chinese, Then they bought a big chunk of the Cavs from Michigan Native Dan Gilbert, Dan ha sthe money in escrow right now.

Phase IV will be Dan Gilbert selling the remaining share of the Cavs to a cheap, dumb owner (like those boneheads in Clipperland) who will tell Danny Ferry to not even think about shelling out a max contract. Then Dan Gilbert will purchase teh Pistons from the Davidson Family Trust and VOILA....LeBron comes to Detroit for the league min, just to piss off the new ownership groups.

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Overreacting??? I don't think so. We blow most if not all of our cap space and we don't get a legit star to build around. We over pay for 2 decent players that don't play a lick of defense.
    Time will tell if this all works out. I am just saying none of this seems to have been thought thru and now Joe is operating by the seat of his pants.

10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Have they?

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No matter who was chosen to lead this motley crue', there would have been dissenters. Even though Laimbeer won our PF online poll by a wide margin, I am sure the only choice that would have received 95+% approval would have been Larry Brown.

It's time to get on the Kuester bandwagon folks and get back to debating/inquiring to see who he and Joe get in here next season to at least make us respectable and not get swept if the first round again.

And Joe lets get Bill some experience by hiring him as an assistant....dude is 52 years old..and he ain't gettin any younger.

12. Winless Wonders

The jokes have been flowing lately. Detroit is an example of how to destroy a championship contending team. Another guy laughed at how Curry was fired the day after he was out there introducing the draft picks to the media and talking about next season. Why put Curry through that if you know you were going to can him the next day?

13. Winless Wonders

True. It is what it is. It is not like we have a say about it anyway. This team is not going anywhere soon without someone to rebound and defend the paint.

14. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

It's not like Hammond has a lot of pieces to work with either. He has done moves that fans have actually liked and feel they make sense.

Does signing Ben Gordon while Rip is still here make sense? We can debate about trades all we want, but until a trade happens Richard Hamilton is still a Piston.

This off season has been confusing and not like how Joe went about building the 03-04 Pistons. I guess defense doesn't matter no more.

And yes, to some degree the Pistons have become a joke, thanks to AI.

15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The question is whether they actually were a championship contender last couple of years. Never mind that he built it himself. And lets look at firing Curry - is the team better off without him at the helm? Joe must have his reasons to do what he did. Players are still interested in coming playing for Pistons and the agents love to talk to Joe. So, I am not sure what the joke is all about.

16. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

You know what?

After stealing CV and John Kuester, Joe absolutely HAS to go get Carlos Boozer. At the very very least, do it for the lulz.

RealCavsFans.com:

17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Both were instrumental in the Cavs losing. I mean, how often are you going to beat an elite team in a 7 game series by playing 1 on 5? That's basically what the Cavs did against Orlando.

18. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

I'll be happy if this guy is anything like Carlisle... Seems like a smart offensive coach...Speaking of offense were going to be a very exciting team that scores a lot....

On the other hand we probably will be mediocre because our defense will be neglected from every perspective...unless Tayshaun Prince is considered an elite defender...

Boozer will seal off this offensive team in the making....If only we can get Steve Nash...

More seriously, if we had Dwight Howard we would be almost unbeatable...ok maybe not unbeatable...but deep playoff

Stuckey/Bynum
    Gordon/Hamilton/Afflalo
    Prince/Daye/Washington/Summers,Swedish Guy/Sharpe
    Villanueva/Maxiel
    Howard/Kwame

19. NotoriousCPC

NotoriousCPC First Round Draft Pick

I'm surprised at the harsh negativity of the hire from PistonLand. It was basically down to Kuester and Tom Tib. Both had extensive assistant coaching experience, no head coaching experience. Both credited with revitalizing their teams offense and defense, respectively. So we hire TT and Dumars is a genius, but we hire Kuester and the sky is falling?

The fact is that Kuester comes from good coaching lineage, the Dean Smith, Larry Brown, Gregg Popovich school of "playing the right way." He has demonstrated an affinity for Xs and Os as he ran the whole show in Cleveland (something that Curry was comically inept at) and he GREATLY improved a sub-mediocre Cleveland offense. I say get off the guy's case until he has demonstrated that he has not lived up to the job. It sure didn't take Curry long ...

20. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

An offensive minded coach, should understand what defensive sets causes offensive problems. I don't see this an issue if the hire is a good coach.

Don't know anything about the guy, but Joe has no understanding of how to conduct an interview process. How many other coaches did he interview? It's not like Kuester is a guy whose reputation sells itself. Pistons go through coaches like they're coming off an assembly line. Hope it's the right choice. On paper, I don't see any improvement over Flip. Curry was a clear downgrade, Kuester is a ??. Hope the Larry Brown connection has made a positive impact on the Kuester. The improvement in the Cavs offense is a positive sign, but it was only one year. Can't take too much away from that.