Pistons Will Hire John Kuester

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Krowe, Jul 7, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There seems to be this prevailing attitude that the coach has to yell at the players and be tough with them to get them to perform.

Guys play for D'Antoni and PJ because they like them. They play for Pop and LB because they respect them.

Coaches who try to bully, burn out. Like Paul silas or AJ.

Chuck Daly and Pat Riley didn't have to treat their players like bad children to get them to play for them.

Your coach has to be as smart as his assistants, or it won't work. That's why Curry's staff mutinied on him.

This is arguably the most important hire of the offseason, and I think it is hard to argue there was someone better Joe passed up.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Insightful post. You have reason to be concerned.

He is an X/O type and the maneuvering around the clip board is no where near the personality type you have to be in managing player personnel and the media. Smoothness in cognitive and verbal communication helps, but the command level is behind the scenes.

Leadership is not substantive associations where you comprehend the obvious layers (the similarity of connected parts).

Leadership is first and foremost a command of stagecraft: how you use signs and symbols. The more complex the situation (and to this new team mixture it will be increasingly complex) the greater the refinement of message. Soon the current that brings the message transforms the content. The message reverses itself internally and comprehension becomes another message tuned inward toward self-consciousness and self-awareness.

Another take on this is from Thomas Schelling (The Strategy of Conflict):

Analytically,...the essence of bargaining is the communicating of intent, the perception of intent, the manipulation of expectations about what one will accept or refuse, the issuance of threats, offers, and assurances, the display of resolve and evidence of capabilities, the communication of constraints on what one can do, the search for compromise and jointly desire exchanges, the creation of sanctions to enforce understanding and agreements, genuine efforts to persuade and inform, and the creation of hostility, friendliness, mutual respect, or rules of etiquette.

You may not know how to create it or use it. You may not know how to understand it...but, you will feel its' presence.
  3. roscoe36

Good post pass, however, Kuester was an NCAA head coach before becoming an NBA assistant. He has more experience than just carrying a clipboard. He's been the head man before, and some argue, he was the head man in Cleveland tactically, while Brown was the head man when it came to public relations.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You may be right. I don't know anything about this guy, so I'm going to keep an open mind until I see how he commands the team.

But why didn't anyone hire him over the last several years? What are his biggest weaknesses in your opinion... or from what you know about him?
  5. pass99

Effective coaches must command the space and lightness to transform. You don't have to be a heavy-weight (as you have perceptively commented), but be aware of presentation:
    1. Which Fly Line is Suitable for Me?
      A line is a crucial component in fly-fishing delivery system. It determines whether the fly reaches the target or not and whether the fish is caught or not.
    2. For a starter in fly-fishing, selecting a fly line is a difficult task. He has to be familiar with the different measurements available and many terms related to it. To grasp the idea of choosing the appropriate line, conduct some research from various sources such as Internet, books, and professionals. Here are some tips on selecting the ideal fly line for trout fishing.
    3. Start thinking of two types of lines – a floating line and an intermediate line. The floating lines are helpful when using floating flies, otherwise called the dry flies. With floating line you can cast various nymphs also though they are sub surface preys for the trout. Floating lines can be used easily in shallow waters, and with the help of leaders you can reach them to more depths also. Intermediate lines allow your fly to remain in a steady position and thus ensure complete visibility for the trout. A
    4. pplying long leaders have been a critical experiment among the fly fishers. Remember, the floating lines are very light, and in case you have to make a deeper drag for them, like for instance, to present a nymph at a deeper position for a long time, you need the combination of the floating lines with long leaders.
    5. Floating lines have micro balloons inside them which enable them float on the water surface. The floating lines are made with an optimum density so that the micro balloons inside them do not resist the movement of the line when there is a wind flow. There are new varieties of floating lines that are coated with water-resistant materials. When these are cast, they float higher than the old lines with the same density.
    6. The third type of fly line is the sinking line. These sink between three and five inches depending on the line weight. These types of lines are ideal for fishing at the drop-offs, i.e., the zone of the lake where the shallow water turns deeper, and the bottom is not visible. Drop-offs are the ideal hideouts for trout, and so the sinking line is an ideal choice for a trout hunting.
    7. Fly line length and weight are standardized. Fly line weights are measured in grains (7000 grains is equivalent to one pound). Ideally the fly lines are ninety feet long, and they come in different weights. The line weight should match the weight of your rod. If you have chosen a six-weight rod, you must choose a six-weight line. Heavier lines are used to cast longer distance and also when fishing in windy conditions. Lighter lines are used in still waters.
    8. There are two styles for the fly lines- level lines and tapered. Level lines have the same diameter throughout whereas tapered lines have a fatter front than the rest of the line. The fatter part adds more weight and more momentum for casting.
    9. Try your hand at these and have a great fishing experience.
    Trout Fishing Tips - Line Tips
  6. roscoe36

I dunno. Why hasn't anyone hired Laimbeer? I mean, if they really wanted him, he could have quit the WNBA anytime. There is plenty of collusion in the NBA.

I know nothing about his coaching style. I only know that he played for the best, he's coached with one of the best, he's been on 3 teams that went to the Finals and he has already been in Detroit, so he gets points for familiarity. It's not like Joe hired someone he didn't know or isn't known around the league coaching fraternity. He just doesn't have the high Detroit profile of Laimbeer, or national profile of Collins and Johnson.

Rosenberg has a decent article (for once) on this
    John Kuester has history with Pistons | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Honestly...I know little about Keister. I hope for the best, but can't help wondering why Joe put up the show with AJ.
  8. roscoe36

Some of the early responses to this thread concerned me, but I like that now that I have staked out a more moderate position, folks admit, they just don't know.

And neither do I.

And Joe's best moves have been the ones that fans were neither wildly for, or against. But the ones that split down the middle or left most of us head scratching.

We're all going to be looking for the same things we have looked for the last few years.

Do we play hard?
    Do we have a deep rotation?
    Can we score out of timeouts?
    Can our coach articulate the game situation to a sideline reporter in a manner that does not sound wooden and perfunctory?
    Will our coach hold himself accountable and thus gain the respect of his team?
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ok, so from that article, here is the perceived weakness in the guy:

So, Joe's gamble is either that 1) Kuester really is a leader and just hasn't been able to show it yet b/c of his assistant role (he reportedly stood up to LB and disagreed with him once or twice), or 2) Kuester won't have to deal with much drama this year because of all the young guys and fresh FA signings.

Maybe Joe is looking for a coach that won't ruffle any feathers and will teach the young players something while we rebuild?
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is what i meant when i said he didn't look intimidating. He's doesn't strike me as a take charge guy, a leader, someone players will rally around. Granted it's premature speculation based on a picture, but i did feel like the same way about twitch err Flip LOL

I don't to need him to look like an army general or a screaming lunatic, but he doesn't seem to have any "presence" about him.
  11. pass99

Or will be subservient and won't intimidate him.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Some guys look meek, but gain respect over a period of time. Larry Brown is a good example. He's a little guy and he talks softly most of the time. But he commands respect.

I like Roscoe's checklist:
    Especially the last point.

If this guy does certain things, he will win the players over and his word will carry a lot more weight than a scream.

I'm actually much less concerned about our new coach right now than our defensive direction.
  13. roscoe36

From a single sideline photograph?
  14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Looks like its enough for some. :stirthepot:
  15. roscoe36

It's pretty superficial.
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I know and I give you John Kuester:

[​IMG]
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah... I like the emotion. Looks like more than a typical assistant to me.

Maybe Mike Brown was already ejected from this game?
  18. roscoe36

Now we have two photos, we can REALLY judge his personality and character!
  19. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

SVG can be pretty harsh as well and it works.
  20. max

max All-Star

I don't know. I am glad we did not hire Avery Johnson. Better to have someone who has never been a head coach than to have someone who has already failed at it. And the guy would have been impossible to fire in the 1st 3 seasons or so.

Then there is Lambs. Fun pick but I was not willing to take that kind of chance.

Maybe Cowens would have been nice but Kuester is our guy. He can turn out to be pretty good. Going to have a much easier introduction than Curry had. No huge ego's to worry about or anything. At least not at 1st.