Pistons Will Hire John Kuester

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Krowe, Jul 7, 2009.

1. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm down with this. I really didn't want the 'little big man'. Just didn't seem to be the right fit. The angry, demanding types may work well with veteran teams, but with young teams like ours it doesn't seem to be too conducive to long-term success (see Skiles).

I thought Mo Cheeks would have been worth an interview but if Kuester is the guy then I'll take it. Just another signing this off-season that will enable us to fly under the radar once more.

I don't need him to look like the Hulk to believe he can get the job done.

Now go get Cowens back on board, hire Bill as an assistant and we will be looking good.
  2. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I admit I overreacted. I really wanted someone who has already proven themselves. Since those people are far and few between, you talked me into thinking this was probably our best shot. I still like Billups though. :MusicBigGrin:

aside.
    Good night people. It's 2:33 in the morning and there are 14 of you still looking in this part of the forum. What a bunch night owls. You guys are as crazy as me.
  3. webz

It's only 4pm where I am Buckeyes. We have quite an international board these days. :)
  4. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Exactly.

Some of ya'll are funny. Based on some pictures and being a funny looking old white guy (i dont get how he's funny looking) we have determined that he is not a leader of people.

Unbelievable. I mean I get the homer votes of confidence for Bill Laimbeer, because it's the fan in you guys speaking [STRIKE]irregardless[/STRIKE] of the fact that he has no NBA coaching expereince himself... But to put this guy (Kuester) in the same boat as Curry?
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Hence this part of my post;

Which it seems nobody read.

Who's doing that?
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

SVG already burned out mid-season once and had to prematurely retire.

Dick Vitale was like that. He had ulcers, and would wind himself up so tight that he could barely go a dozen games without needing to be hospitalized (true story).
  7. raxrets

raxrets Starter

their playing style- we score 105 pts but still lose because of opponents score 108
  8. roscoe36

Better than losing 83-78.
  9. webz

Pistons hire Cavaliers' John Kuester as coach | detnews.com | The Detroit News

10. roscoe36

WOW. That is a cheap deal.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Found some '05 numbers - then, only four coaches made $1.5mm or less.
  12. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

it's kind of funny thinking of 1.5 million dollars as small but there you have it. regardless of how it turns out, certainly won't be a mark against Joe in the accounting office.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Starter

one aspect needs discussion.

Kuester had a safe job in Cleveland, he had no public responsibility( head coaches have), his work fitted exactly to his skill set: offensive schemes.

Now: yet he was willing to wait behind some names in spite of fact that he was to Dumars merely Plan C( read:as a head coach not very highey esteemed prospect).

Kuester had plenty of time either to resign with Cavs or elsewhere.

Consider also that Cavs is already ready team: roles were set.

But in Detroit team is very far from complete, better be ready for trade deadline trades or for instance, Rip-Gordon tensions.

Yet Kuester was willing to accept head coach role for potential troubling team instead of safely signing in Cavs.

Yeah, you can always say that MC vas ready to accept challenge but in reality MC had almost no idea what was waiting for him.

But Kuester has seen in two decades everything.
  14. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

Two things we know for sure about Kuester are:
    He is part of the Dean Smith school of coaching philosophy that produced Larry Brown and Popovich, I think that is a good thing.
    He has worked with Dumars and the Pistons front office on a day to day basis, we are not going to hear "we did not know he is a bad person" or "he was mean to the secretaries". There will be no excuse for any of that talk.:sssh:

I think the fact that he will take a short contract for a fairly low salary with a young team that is not formed yet shows he has confidence he can earn a big payday in two years when he will be up for an extention. I like that he believes in himself.

:hoops::hoops::hoops:
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You have to break in to head coaching however you can. He was in no position to negotiate like Avery Johnson.

I'm actually surprised that first time head coaches ever get salaries higher than this until they prove that they are up for the job. A guy like Kuester would probably have taken a significant pay cut to go from assistant to head coach because once you prove that you can do it, your market value skyrockets.

One of those articles posted here talks about how he has been chasing this goal for quite some time and they he split off from LB because he didn't want to be type-cast as LB's lackey and ruin his chances to get a head coaching job someday.

It seems like this is a guy that he loves bball and has been doing things in an attempt to win a job with very few open positions. If you are an assistant for 1-3 years, you may be labeled as green. if you are an assistant for > 10 years, you will probably be labeled as having "an assistant's personality" and not being a leader of men. For whatever reason, this guy never got his big break and stayed with the best job he could get while still having his eye on the prize.

He is lucky that his chance came with a team like Detroit that has a real chance at the playoffs vs. a celler dweller where he would be asked to perform a miracle.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

True. Assistants average around half a million from some numbers I saw, so it is a million dollar raise. Over three years if he lived to the same standard as now, he could sock away around $1.5 million for retirement

And George Karl. Still, two to one odds aren't bad.

True.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sadly, he'll probably get booed out of town even if he is absolutely perfect. Joe gets criticism for the revolving door of coaches, but the fans are even worse.

[​IMG]
    This is the least of my worries. Those sideline interviews are the most useless thing ever.

I just wanted to remind you:
    [​IMG]
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gortat looks like he should have a cork in his neck there.

[​IMG]
  19. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I've watched all the speculation about this guy and it seems to me like we're in for a handful of a season if he is hired. This guy may only coach to the level of his pitiful contract. We must move Hamilton to avoid conflict at the position. Prince must be on board and not continue any of the old player habits. With a clean slate, player mind set wise...this guy might have a chance. Otherwise, we're looking at not making the playoffs. We've gotta be concerned that this guy has been around for a long time and nobody has considered him head coaching material in the NBA before. Generally, guys show that leadership quality as assistants and then get their chance to be head coaches. Remember also that with Dyess leaving...I see no player leaders left on the team...Nobody to set the "Pistons Basketball" tone in the locker room. I'm afraid...I may have to adjust my original season projection downward.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Then again, you liked Flip, too. :nerner: