1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons Will Not Hire Avery Johnson

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 7, 2009.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sorry Low. So what you think about Kuester? Experience factor, I don't have a warm and fuzzy about him, but we will see.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Whew.

Looks like there could be two Carolina guys on the bench, but I'm secretly holding out for Cowens.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is such an obvious treasure hunt that ends with ...beer.

I don't think Joe D. wanted to hire a little general who wants high pay, guaranteed extra years, and decision making ability for the roster. Joe's top 3 priorities are to find a guy for cheap who he can fire at will and who will have no opinion on personel.

Next thing you know, Avery would have been wooing the Davidson family in his bid to become coach slash GM.

6. Stringer

Stringer Second Round Draft Pick

I'm not a fan of Kuester. He was the offensive coordinator of the Cavs. Did the Cavs offense seemed coordinate to you ???
    It was more like "give the ball to LeBron and get out of the way", especially during the playoffs against better defensive teams.

Thibodeau seems a way better choice to me

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You guys are faster than David Aldridge in getting these reports. Even my piston twitter account has not reported this yet.

Lets just settle this now and hire Thibodeau, and then Kuester and Laimbeer as the HC and his two assistants...get a big and start the season...

8. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Chickens coming home to roost for Dumars. Now we are going to settle for an apprentice. Might as well be Laimbeer now.

9. Pwn Toney

If they are going to go the inexperienced route again, I would prefer to hire Laimbeer...however, that clearly isn't going to happen, so I will have to take a wait and see approach...

But, don't get it twisted...it will be a very short wait and see. The podshows will be interesting... :nod:

10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    According to all the "sources" Kuester was the next on the list. Lets see what happens next.

11. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

My thoughts exactly. Why isn't anyone mentioning Thibodeau? I read in the Boston papers yesterday that he's looking to interview with the Pistons.

12. Pwn Toney

I agree...it looks like no coaches are clamoring for this job...Laims might be his only option, unless Joe D would rather look for M.Curry 2 Electric Boogaloo to take over the team.

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good, unless you are larry, phil or pop, most coaches are either average or poor. Not worth the money.

14. Wiggles

Wiggles First Round Draft Pick

I do not know what all of you know about how things are run in Cleveland, so my apologies up front if this is old news.

This is information that was even discussed on TV during the playoffs, so it is no secret.

Basically Mike Brown just manages the team, and substitutions. Kuester ran the whole offense. You can see him drawing up all the plays in the huddles. And the other assistant ran the D.

To me that gives Kuester a little more experience then a normal assistant.

On the down side, I really do not like the Cavs Offense. So my vote is for Lamb.

I know Lamb has a lot of haters, but those people really have no ground for hatting on him. If you look at his record as a coach, it is very good.

I know he was coaching women, but women are even more emotional then men.(no offense women). If he can deal with all that and win 3 ships, I will take leadership over anything.

Our team needs a leader. That is also why I prefer Cowens to any assistant who has never been a coach before.

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Dumars states very clearly that mess is not over yet and new coach better prepare for short career and therefore do not ask big money.

16. G-man

G-man Starter

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Professional Basketball Coaching Greats

10- Phil Jackson
    9- Red Aurbach
    5- John Kundla, Pat Riley
    4- Gregg Popavich, Van Chancellor
    3- Bill Laimbeer
    2- Chuck Daley, Alex Hannum, Bill Russell, Tom Heinsolm, K.C. Jones, Rudy T.

Bill Laimbeer is already guaranteed to be inducted to the Hall of Fame as a coach. He is 7th on the all-time list.

No experience? Please.

When you factor in that he won back-to-back titles as a player, then you have one serious basketball resume.

18. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

LAIMBEER is the only choice that makes any sense.

We won't hire him, but we'll take a fly on some other first timer by the name of Mike Curry? What a joke.

Joe has lost some credibility with his double talk, GM speak, and shoddy moves. He might as well hire Bill Laimbeer and let the healing begin.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would like to see the debate on the Detroit Shock forum where they are anti Phil Jackson because he has no WNBA coaching experience to speak of. He has never even been an assistant in the WNBA.

20. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Will this lack of a coach make gordon or villanueva pull a turkoglu and skip town?

Also, I can't see why McDyess would come back if we don't have a coach before the vegas summer league.