Playing GM for the Pistons this summer.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Jul 13, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Phase I

Find Sammy Mejia a european contract.

Sign Cheikh Samb

Sign Melvin Ely using a portion of the MLE.

Phase II

Assign Samb to the NBDL

Begin seeking trade partners for Antonio McDyess' expiring contract to address mid-season needs. Picks and role players are acceptable.
  2. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

why melvin Ely ? No offense but what has he ever done?
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What did Rip do before he came here? Wasn't Chauncey the human trade and free agency pinball?

Ely is big, young, cheap and has a couple post moves. It's a low risk, potentially good reward move.

Melvin Ely Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com
  4. Mr.Shady

Mr.Shady First Round Draft Pick

The only thing i would like to see that Webber goes. Hunter should play one more, Meija not ready, Dyess, Moha, Duppre is cool. Oh, well Moha isnt. So that 2. But i got love for our staff. Its great. I mean...What would you say, if they had a forum like this and said: Hey, why dont we fire our whole fan squad?---Come on guys.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. There is nothing better than players that can execute the good ole' fashion picks and role. That's just good basketball.
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

If I was GM. I'd...

never had traded Delfino and resigned Darko, but going forward, I'd ...

Do whatever it takes to clear cap space for next years FA class.
    Make Flip's life so uncomfortable he quits, so I don't have to pay the rest of his contract.
    Make sure Flip plays Stuckey and Amir at least 20 minutes per game.
    Resign Dale to a 2 year contract, and make sure he plays.
    Switch Amir to 3, and trade Tay for future draft picks
    Trade Sheed before he leaves with nothing in return
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Man I'm glad this is just FANTASY GM.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well I really like his idea about making Flip so uncomfortable that he leaves. You might want to start out with some typical locker room pranks...nail his shoes to the floor etc.
  9. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

GM GM....Hmmm

No to Webber. He doesn't fit getting young and infusing energy, youth. His passing is still there but no D, and just walks and stands around

Reality. No other quality big that can play center out there so we're stuck with Nazr. Darko would be ok but he's gone and he wouldn't want a second tour of duty here. Haywood and Thomas are just not improvements with Nazr so I wouldn't want to lose any core team members over trades with no significant improvement. Ely well he is no center really but, he'd be welcome here to come off the bench for me.

Hunter. Well, his offense is on and off but more off than on. His defense is there but wasn't really that much of a difference maker. I'd give those reins to Afflalo and Hunter can always unretire.

Amir. Back on board. Good.

Dice, Dice, Dice. Let me see. The sentimental in me wants to keep him and get him that ring this year. The no nonsense part wants to trade him for another big guy but who? So I'm keeping him in.

The young guys are looking good. Stuckey, quiet humble and proud and let's his game do the talking. Which is just the way I like it. Afflalo, we all like a guy who wants to play defense and claims he wants to guard the hottest player on the other team and actually does it.

So My team would be:

Starting: Chauncey, Rip, Tay, Sheed, Nazr

Off the Bench: Dice, Jmax, Amir
    Stuckey, Afflalo

Deep on the bench: FlipM, Dupree,

Samb is not ready. Mejia is not ready.

Reserving that last spot for another quality big.

I trust Joe.

GO PISTONS!
  10. NotoriousCPC

NotoriousCPC First Round Draft Pick

If I were GM I would...

Look to move Nazr if I were 1. Willing to start Sheed there or 2. Able to find a replacement. With that in mind I would look to a place willing to perhaps take Nazr in a deal.

Orlando is set at small forward for the rest of time it seems as it carries the albatross that is Rashard Lewis' max deal. Hedo is also a SF/SG and they have other shooters as well but they have what could probably be considered the thinnest frontline in the NBA.

Dwight Howard and... Tony Battie. Ouch. and then... anyone? anyone? Nothing.

Trade Nazr and Dupree for Trevor Ariza with Pat Garrity as cap filler.

Ariza is a super athlete, young, getting better and is a plus defender for the bench.

Next I try and pry Brendan Haywood away from Washington by offering a "retired" Lindsay Hunter and the expiring deal of Flip Murray. Maybe throw in a very protected first rounder in the future. If that doesn't work I look into a cheap deal for Chris Mihm or play Sheed at the 5.

I then use some of my veteran's exception to sign Brevin Knight as a true backup PG. Stuckey can still have the ball in his hands a lot off the bench and look to create, but if we're relying on young immature bodies on the bench I want experience in my floor general. Knight is also an adequate defender and protects the ball.

The lineup would look like this:

PG - Billups/Knight/Stuckey
    SG - Hamilton/Stuckey/Afflalo
    SF - Prince/Ariza/Afflalo/Maxiell/Garrity
    PF - Sheed/McDyess/Maxiell/Johnson
    C - Haywood/Sheed/Maxiell/Johnson

This also allows the Pistons to 1. Sign a minimum FA for depth or 2. Put Mejia and/or Samb on the active roster and send them to the D-league where they can have more control over development.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

OK....OK....OK....let's try this

Starters would Be ----

Billups
    Hamilton
    Prince
    Wallace
    Nazr

2nd string would be----

Stuckey
    Afflalo
    Dice
    JMax
    Amir

I'd be ready with----

Sammy Mejia may replace a second string soon.
    Keep Samb to be developed by former Piston Bigs.
    Bring back Dale Davis.
    Let Hunter retire with his salary.
    Do not resign Webber.
    If Joe really wants to keep Flip, then add a few years to his contract so the players know they stand together...................
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have been enjoying reading this thread. Thanks everyone for posting their thoughts. I imagined that we would open things up for discussion after a few days, but I see there continues to be a steady trickle of posts here, without anyone worrying about anyone commenting (positively or negatively) about what they say. So, I guess why not just keep going without comment, at least until nobody else adds something for a a week.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Looking through this thread again, I see there is no reason for me to be arguing with you about Flip Saunders. You and me got the same idea, hire Laimbeer as our new headcoach.
  14. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

As everyone knows I haven't commented too much (I am sure everyone is glad about this) about hiring Laimbeer as Piston coach.

The reason is.

I don't think it is realistic.

Why would Laimbeer the chauvinist that he is give up one of the few remaining good jobs in the world where a male can boss around a dozen women on a daily basis and get away with it?

No way Bad Boy Bill gives up this perfect job for him.

:hoops:
  15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You don't think he'd be giddy about getting a headcoaching job in NBA? He's talked about it a few times. Also, the money would be much better. I dunno. My issue is him being so hard on the players and losing control over the team.
  16. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I don't think Bad Boy Bill gets giddy over anything.

Seriously.

I really don't know. It is not something I think about since I am happy with Flip as the coach.

If that changes, then I might give some thought to who I would like to have as Flip's replacement.

In fact now that Hot Rod is on the team, I am actually happy with Murray. I think as a 3rd point guard on the depth chart he is more than adequate. I just didn't like him as C-Bill's backup.

Other than getting a ring there are only two things that I would like to see happen this year that I have some doubt about.

1. AJ starting
    2. Samb getting some productive minutes. (I don't know if he will be ready this year)

I don't even care if Nazr sits on the bench as long as he doesn't get too many minutes, like over 10 a game.

Other than that I will take what comes and enjoy it.

:hoops:
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I didn't mean giddy like all excited and jumping up and down. I meant that he would most likely jump at an opportunity to coach. I don't know if he'd be better or worse than Flip. If he could get the players to respect and listen to him, I believe he could achieve a lot as an NBA coach since he really knows the game.