1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Point Guards Becoming Pointless

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Jun 17, 2009.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

This is absurd. I'll be sure to write an article called "Shooting Guards are Stupid" if Orlando's Mickael Pietrus and Utah's Ronnie Brewer are lacing 'em up in the finals.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

it's very true- many teams have one dominant player who isn't a PG but who controls the ball almost all the time. Reason is that in todays NBA with its super- soft and superstar- friendly rules, it's impossible to stop players like Kobe, Bron and Wade. Even guys like Terkoglu can take it to the rim at will since defenders aren't allowed to do anything more than watching them.
    So, the distributing PG has been maringalized. He simply is only needed to put the ball up front and shoot a couple of threes. On the other hand, Jordan's Bulls had no PG either (Ron Harper played the PG spot! Ron Harper!) and won it all. PG's aren't useless as Chauncey has shown since he made the Pistons a better team since no player was capable of posting or driving to the basket by distributing the ball to give players free shots.
    But as long as you have a player that can penetrate or dominate in the post, the PG becomes less valuable. That's why JoeD shouldn't necessarily look for a PG to replace Chauncey. Not if he can get someone like Joe Johnson (for instance) or any player that controls the ball alot and dishes when being doubled.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This may rule out Turkeygloo as he was good at bringing it down, and sometimes even penetrating, but there were other times where he forced a three instead of passing off.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Interesting that the only "true" PG in the finals (CB) everyone thinks is a combo guard anyway and not a true point.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

And the Pistons will remain a guard driven team.

7. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

SAY WHAT? The only people silly enough to still think that are those who haven't watched Chauncey play since 2003... After graduating from LB's play the right way point guard program, Chauncey's been an All-Star true point guard ever since. By the way I'd say guys like Tony Parker, Deron Williams, and Chris Paul are still VERY relevant, they just didn't have enough talent around them to go further...

8. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

I'd say a guy like Rajon Rondo and even young Derrick Rose are also clearly relevant pg's to be reckoned with in my humble opinion... I guess I just don't agree with what this article is talking about... Derrick Fisher may not be the dominant pure pg many think of when thinking of good pg's, but he is indeed a solid veteran known for hitting big shots in the postseason. When paired alongside greatness the game is just a bit easier for other players... No different than how MJ made life so easy and lovely for Paxson, BJ Armstrong, and Steve Kerr.

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Have to agree with the article. How many teams have won a title where the best player on the team was the point guard? Magic, Isaiah, and maybe Billups. And, I'm reluctant to count Magic as a point, because he basically played every position.

Dominant centers and dominant twos/threes win you championships. A dominant pg has to be out of this would and still needs plenty of help.

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns. I'm not sure exactly, but based on how much hype there was around that team, I'm positive they must have won at least three or four championships.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think if you can shoot then you are not eligible to be a "pure" PG. If you have a crew cut then you are well on your way to pureness.

12. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Centers Becoming Pointless

Children are not eating their vegetables...too short. Many power forwards forced into Center role in the NCAA/NBA.

:stirthepot:

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Isiah Thomas predicted this years ago.....literally.

Good find, DBA.

14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Until when?

1) We have no idea what Joe Dumars will do this summer

2) If it's driven by a natural 2 guard this post still has merit.

3) Have a nice day :hoops:

:)

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Until I see the Pistons with consistant SF, PF and C's scoring in double digits my post still has merit.
    No, you have a nice day.