Poll: Is the Buffoonery Era officially over with the Stan Van Gundy hiring?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by coynejeremy, May 15, 2014.

?

Is the Buffoonery Era officially over with the Stan Van Gundy hiring?

1. Unequivocally yes, regardless of how the team does this season

39.3%
  2. Yeah, I guess

28.6%
  3. Maybe, but I reserve the right to change my mind later with the benefit of hindsight

25.0%
  4. I don't think so

3.6%
  5. Not necessarily, it will depend on team performance

10.7%
  6. If SVG gets rid of Jennings, I will marry him (may need to travel to a different state for this)

14.3%
  7. Unequivocally no, this guy is the latest sideshow in the vaudeville that the Pistons have become

7.1%
  8. Bup-bup

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Linwood are you telling me you thought you could vote multiple times. You didn't understand multiple choices ? Though it says votes...as long as you been here ?
  2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Honestly, I'm not a fan of his "panic 1st, coach later" style. When the going gets tough, the tough should not 'freak out.'
    Couple that with him having NO front office experience and my acceptance of this is HEAVILY dependent upon the success he has in the 1st 1-2 seasons.
    Lest we also forget this is one of the guys more than happy to take verbal dumps on the organization, yet we hire him? First Phil Jackson trolls us into the coaching comedy club, now this guy. Who's next? Do we want to lure Bird away from the Pacers? We can still make Karl Malone head of player personnel...

Lionel Hollins and George Karl are better coaches. I don't like letting the best available options sit out there while the team tries to convince us that some random selection is the best option. We've been on this ride before.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Are you glad Gores combined the HC and GM ?
  4. Pwn Toney

Not really. I like having checks and balances in place. With this there's no one to tell SVG that his desire to acquire his favorite "guy" who "doesn't fit" is a stupid idea.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is our job.
    Laimbrane, S.J. and Pwn Toney like this.
  6. Pwn Toney

Difference is...he can't ignore a President/GM and do it anyway...LOL
  7. BillLaimbeer

I have a good feeling SVG is going to turn this club back around.
  8. Pwn Toney

I really hope you're right. I'm not one of the Detnews or Freep commenters that claims we'll never win anything ever again, but I'm not completely convinced that SVG is the answer.
    I'm very much like I was when we acquired Rip Hamilton. I was not happy with the deal at the time, but Rip's performance turned me around on it. I need to see results before I blindly jump on board.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You're absolutely right! And with that being said....he's STILL (by far) the best coach we've hired since Larry Brown.
    linwood and Pwn Toney like this.
  10. Pwn Toney

Agreed. I just didn't feel he was THE BEST coach out there. I always want to go for the best available...if you don't get them, then fine, but make the effort.
  11. BillLaimbeer

Perhaps Gores did call up Karl but George said he is not interested in coaching again (like he has said numerous times recently).
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tanking is easier to execute when you're also the coach.
    brofmfa likes this.
  13. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Hollins and Karl would have both been pretty good hires, but SVG is hardly a random selection. And I don't know where the "panic 1st, coach later" thing comes from, other than a defensive, bitter Shaq quote after SVG called him out for flopping.

Also, this is a completely different organization from when Stan took "verbal dumps" on it. New owner, president, coach, front office, team, etc. A lot of people holding grudges here... it's time to move on.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Let's be a little realistic here. Like it or not, we have a long established primadonna player-culture that took hold here since the departure of Larry Brown. This was fueled by a parade of weak coaches none of whom had the backing of the front office, and the complete lack of accountability for players who acted out. We were not going to win anything with that kind of poisonous culture in place.

Hiring an alpha dog of a guy and giving him full power is the first step in fixing the culture issues we have. He's the coach, he's the GM and he's here to stay. This move shifted the power from the players to the guy who's in charge of the team. Regardless of the actual outcome, this is a good step in the right direction. Gores sent a strong message to the players with this move.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

what checks and balances, checks and balances on buffoonery ?
    Ernie the Slow Adult and linwood like this.
  16. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Hiring an alpha dog of a guy and giving him full power is the first step in fixing the culture issues we have. He's the coach, he's the GM and he's here to stay. This move shifted the power from the players to the guy who's in charge of the team. Regardless of the actual outcome, this is a good step in the right direction. Gores sent a strong message to the players with this move.[/quote]

Completely agree Walter. Reminded me of this scene (just think of Stan in place of Sonny and the players being the bikers):

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

While I am all for the coach being the GM, so nonsense can squarely be blamed on one person rather than having us fans wondering if stupidity was the coach's or ordered by Dumars, Stan is the last person on earth for the job. See you all around summer league.
    brofmfa, coynejeremy and TaS like this.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Would you describe him as... "clueless?"

This computer is property of the Denver Squirrels and is not to be removed from facilities.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

hope he proves you wrong.
    How long do you give him ?
    Some of think we'll know in one season
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well done Walter. A voice of reason.

I know everyone has the right to express their own opinion and I'm not challenging that. But the Pistons have been running around like chickens with their heads cut off for years. I wouldn't get excited people. At least not in a stressful way. They are trying something new. Not merely putting a new body in a winless situation. SVG may not be YOUR guy but he's here and the plan makes sense. The Philadelphia Eagles made a similar move a year ago and the franchise went from 4-12 to 10-6 and a playoff contender in ONE year! Give him time.