[POLL] The Playoffs and Michael Curry

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 2, 2009.

?

Will Joe Dumars bring Michael Curry back if the Pistons miss the playoffs?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2009.
  1. Yes, Joe will give Mike two years

39.2%
  2. No, Dumars will not bring Curry back

45.1%
  3. Unsure

15.7%
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good posts but a lot of people are falling back on what they think about Curry or his job.

But my question was, (rephrased) Will Joe keep Curry regardless of the record?

It's less about what we think about Curry, and more about what Joe thinks about Curry.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

With the short time that RC, LB and Flip had with the Pistons I think Joe is in some ways pressured to give MC another year to figure out how to coach. On the other hand Joe has never been afraid to cut his losses and move on when it comes to the roster...but I say MC stays another year.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I guess it depends on what the team looks like next year. If they did a 2006 Heat makeover where they add all these veteran pieces (that fit and don't play the same position) that have a small window for winning then it wouldn't make sense to have him coach.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I seriously doubt JD will fire a coach mid-season. That is just a publicity stunt anyways. I can't recall an incident where a team fired a coach mid-season and gotten exceptionally good results.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't Miami do that with Van Jeremy ("the master of panic") and Riley? I don't remember the details.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I always thought in the beginning that Joe made sound decisions, but found out in the past 3 or so seasons it was based on what the late Mr. D thought was best for the team, his fortune $$ and how he felt about someone. (Brown, Zeke, etc)

Now that he is gone :rip:, I am thinking that Joe and Ms D think outside the box and do something different from the norm....maybe consider Laimbeer, or a former NBA coach with actual experience.....Avery seems to be holding out for a plum job next season. Joe can't afford to wait to long as there will be at least 7 teams looking to fill a coaching void this summer..(I am thinking we would have won at least 45-48 games with Terry Porter).

The decision to hire Curry probably sounded good to Dumars and Davidson as a way to save some cash during a probable transition year, but as usual he over evaluated the talent level of his aging vets and his youngsters who were not developed properly by his assortment of coaches the past four years.

My theory is he will need additional input from agents this spring/summer to see if their clients are willing to play here with a rebuilding team and a clueless coach who has demonstrated no development in his 6-7 months on the job.

So in summary, I voted UNSURE as I don't know if he will go with his heart and stick it out for another year with MC or make the gut change at the end of the season with the new philosophy of Ms D in charge...
  7. Walter

Whoa! So, if MC is at the helm next year, I can take a year off from watching the NBA?
    If youth=Stuckey, then I see your point.
    If youth=youth, then I don't see your point.
  8. Walter

Oooh, you're right. Damn, I need some coffee.:dizzy2:

Time to eat my words. Pass the salt please.
  9. roscoe36

Avery Johnson (who I am not a fan of) went 16-2 over the last 18 games of the season he took over.

Riley obviously.

Lawrence Frank

Scott Brooks (OKC) if you can call 20-41 as an improvement on Carlesimo's 1-12 start.
  10. max

max All-Star

I think the plan all along was to give Curry the Full season. After he will be evaluated and we will proceed from there. So far I am not seeing a whole lot of justification on why Dumars would keep him. He has not been able to find a consistant rotation, players have not gotten better, he has lost the players in many regards, his in-game substitutions and decisions are sub-par. What is there to build on?
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I didn't really take into regards how keeping Curry will look to potential FA's, but then i think Joe believes even w/ Curry he can make the sell.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's a tough question. I had to think about it for a bit, but really, for me, what BDL and DBA said makes a lot of sense. Factor the almighty dollar into the equation and I think Joe would say adios amigo.

Yes, Curry was thrown into a bad situation, but at best he did not help rectify things and at worst he exacerbated them.

I think there are four kinds of coaches:

(1) Those that can handle the personlities.

(2) Those that have mastered the X's and O's of the game.

(3) Those that can do both (the truly great ones)

(4) Those that can do neither (Michael Curry). I am pretty sure Joe realizes where Curry falls on this list.
  13. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. I don't see JoeD firing him, but I sure hope he does.
  14. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Couldn't have said it better myself. You're right, Curry seems to have absolutely no plan. I was on the bandwagon earlier this year after all the things he said over the summer. I gave him time after getting AI, but it's obvious he doesn't have any direction and is inconsistent to say the least.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You got nothing Roscoe.
    15, 15 and 6
    That means the collective is unsure. Pee You. That's how bad it is.
    Curry was not dealt a bad hand. However his insistance on not winning will be his doom.
    Losing CB didn't mean fold the house. Not knowing how to use AI is truely a puzzle
    but being inconsistant with minutes means he fortified nothing.
    He surely doesn't deserve to stay. But because he may be a player favorite he might see next season as starting head coach.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Love it.

Post of the day.
  17. roscoe36

Now that's more like it. Good thinking. It's a question about ego, talent, direction. The question is about Joe, not Mike. :good:
  18. roscoe36

This wasn't about advancing an agenda. It was about encouraging people to think beyond AI and Curry. As the offseason approaches at breakneck speed, it will be necessary to start looking at the big picture, as we can't take the consistency of personnel, achievement or direction for granted.
  19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I voted no, but that is probably more wishful thinking on my part. I just don't see how you can possibly keep this guy around.

For a team that did not turnover their entire roster, the 2009 Pistons have suffered one of the most vociferous declines (59 wins to 40< ...?) I've ever seen. I think Curry's inept coaching has probably cost us about 10 wins this year.

BTW, if anyone ever didn't think coaching in the NBA wasn't important, Charlotte is living proof of how important it really is. Watching them play the C's last night, even though they lost a heartbreaker, you could tell they are a Larry Brown team by the way they hustle, move without the ball, unselfish play and tough defense and rebounding. They look a lot more together and cohesive than the current Pistons do. They are gonna be really good in another year or two.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Rosc, I know how you mean "consistency".
    But we're talking about Mr. Inconsistency ! No uniformity here.
    -
    Only 10 losses via Curry 2T4Y ?
    I'll go 20.