Power Forward Projections: Jmax & AJ

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

As we look at the eventuality of getting minutes for JMAX and Amir, I see an issue with playing time. Both these guys play the 4 spot. Even down the road when players like Davis and Dyess are gone, I still see the team having issues being able to play both guys enough.

Any thoughts on this? Could they share court time? like play Amir at the 5 spot against teams that play Brezec, garbajosa at the C? Just looks like we we got a little log jam right there.
  2. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Realistically I see one of them getting traded down the road because we barely play our bench as it is. Unless Amir could play center position, but he is only listed at 6'9 210 pounds.

Right now we have Sheed, McDyess, Max, and Amir at PF. I doubt they will get rid of Sheed next year. McDyess might be gone, but even if he is I doubt Flip will find time for both Max and Amir at PF. Another possibility is Sheed maybe as center? I doubt that though. We are probably going to trade one of them for nothing and have them become a good player on another team :(
  3. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

amir was reported to be 6'11 at training camp and still growing.
    but i still don't envisage him playing the 5. he reminds me more of a KG - a 7 footer playing the 4.
    both guys could get minutes but i just see j-max becoming a solid role player, whereas from all reports the sky is the limit for amir.
    if that were to happen they could co-exist on the same team.

as for next year they will probably be battling each other for minutes until 1 or none of them break out.
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am hoping that with Sheed ailing, Amir can get some good quality minutes more than likely at the 4. However, Flip will probably play the old guy DD, starting anyway.

It's going to be interesting to see how Nazr and DD will do on the floor together.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's an interesting discussion... It's possible that two contrasting styles could compliment each other (Amir & Brahma)...
    I see Dice being phased out next year.
    It would be nice if Sheed could take Amir under his wingspan and show him some of his many tricks.
    I see Brahma as being more game ready now (can battle inside) but Amir taking over in year two.
    Amir and Samb offer similar qualities... maybe duplication.

Wouldn'tcha know that PF is the strong position in the draft next year... and very few PG picks being selected early.

IMO, center is what we need to address with our Orlando pick (draft or trade for).
    Maybe we'll do a S&T for Darko mama... just messin'...please no more Darko crap. lol
  6. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree, Amir and Max could compliment each other nicely. I just don't think both of them will get the chance to do that. As for the draft I would get a center for sure :)
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't see Joe keeping McDyess and Sheed until the end of their contracts. Someone is leaving. Next year, there won't be any decent center free agents either. So we'll probably lose Dale and promote somone like Amir to PF/C and the Brahma to the 6th man role.

The international players have really changed the roles up for big men. With tall swingmen, and outside shooting bigs, the game has become a lot more about athleticism than pure size and power.

Now surely a guy like Shaq has a huge advantage, but how many true post up centers are there in this league? Three?

Teams can suffer through an untalented 5, or they can field two very good PFs. I mean, the Spurs without Robinson have been one of the best regular season and playoff teams in recent years. They only have one great big, and he's a PF.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

are we still playing the murder mystery game? :MusicBigGrin:
  9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Flip is going to wear Double D and McDyess out.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That may be a possibility with the game shifting away from bulky 5s...
    With him slowing down he's still quicker than most 5s...
    He can bring centers away from the paint... I'm just not sure he has the strength to last a whole year just playing center.
    What would Sheed be capable of if he was dedicated to a strength and conditioning program?
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In the long run, Amir will be a center. This is per a guy who trained him some the year we drafter him. He was a summer league announcer that year, I can't recall his name though. Anyway, per this guy, Amir's frame / body type projects out to him being a center when he is fully grown.

But that aside, Amir Johnson is plenty quick enough to play small forward, and JMAX could also play small forward similar to Corliss Williamson. Absolutely, there is room for both of these guys to play. Both can see time at all three front court positions.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i think its more than a stretch to play j-max at the 5. i think he would either play the 3 or 4 depending on matchups.
    i can hardly wait to see a twin tower scenario with amir and sheed. tay at the 3 and brahma first big off the bench. bring back the exciting pistons bball!
  13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

At this point in his career; a huge endorsment contract for some pain reliever...................
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ben played center for us at one whole inch taller. I am not saying JMAX would be the ideal center for all occasions. But he can play the position in many cases. For instance, if we are playing th Clips and they put Kaman at center, JMAX is a perfect fit at that point. I have seen JMAX defend Kaman very well while Kaman could not guard JMAX. (Summer league play.)
  15. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I guess I am not on the right wave length but I still think JMax should play some at the 3.

He has slimmed down, but it still seems that he should be able to manhandle most of the 3s in the league and go where ever he wants.

And with the wingspan . . . !!
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

the brahma is a bad fit at the 3 (too slow, poor lateral footwork), and a bad fit at the 4 (short and a long wingspan means a greater time to get hands up high for a shot or to harass a shot attempt).

His advantages are his girth and aggressiveness. This is a player built for iso basketball. His ability to draw fouls against larger opponents, and to bully smaller ones gives him the initiative on offense. His offense can dictate who his matchup is on the other end of the court.

Imagine pulling Bruce Bowen off of Rip to guard the brahma. Maxiell can be used to dictate matchups. That is his best asset because he's not a great shooter or finisher if he has to put the ball on the court.

I'm completely annoyed that Flip doesn't see a way to use this kid every single game. Particularly in small ball lineups because Maxiell will trail on the break.

I see Johnson as a five tool player. Rebounding, shooting, defense, shot blocking and posting up.
  17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Brahma is the classic definition of situational player. The problem is Flip doesn't know what situational means. JMax will never be a starter, whereas Amir can be projected to be a starter if he develops correctly. No reason Amir can't be starting over Nazr next year. How much of a drop off would that be?

As for Jmax, he should be getting his 10 to 20 min a game, and depending on who's out there he would destroy the Pat Garrity's of this league.
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I heard Joe D. has bought lots of magic potion (no pun intended) some voodoo dolls and even stepped up his church going. Oden sure would look good in a Piston uniform!. But then he looks good in any basketball uniform!!

:gun1::hoops:
  19. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Excellent point.
    To take it a step further, Maxiell should use every spare minute to practice screen roll with Blalock and Delfino. With Maxiell's strength, agility, ability to hit the J and finish strong, these guys could be shredding second units around the league.
  20. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

I believe Amir is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year. So if another team (think west coast) likes him they could offer a lot. So signing Dupree was a bad move if Amir would have accepted that kind of contract. If Amir gets too much playing time his price will go up if he produces.