1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Preseason Pistons at Mavericks ~ Oct 27th

Discussion in 'Preseason 2005/6' started by roscoe36, Oct 25, 2005.

1. max

max All-Star

Game

Sam, Delfino looks fully recovered. He is playing like when we 1st saw him at the beginning of last season with improvement.

lamb - Acker did not look good out there but he was not playing selfish. He seemed to have trouble with the plays checking in with the coach while bringing the ball up and had trouble guarding Harris and Terry.
    Other than that he did not do anything stupid. He did make a few good passes that were not able to be converted into made shots.

Its only his 2nd game of playing more than 5 mins. Its tough comming in like that. Next game he should be brought in the 1st half to see what he can do.

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Is that really a record? Too bad it isn't the regular season.

3. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

I call that passion and not taking any crap from nobody.:argue: :rant: :ban: :mad2: I don't think this ejection is a trend with him. BTW, on the other forum some people were talking (hating?) last night about CA. Seems like he reads the forum and play to :tape2: :tape2: the non-believers.

4. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

5. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

i love Arroyo's toughness, but we need him on the court, not in the lockerroom. i doubt this is a trend that continues, sucks for him because he was having a great game until then.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The bench

Watched ESPN's game cast...

This is how our bench did...
    They lost a net of 10-12 points while in the game.
    Our bench played 47 minutes to the Mavs 40 minutes.
    Our bench shot 46% to their bench 47%
    Our banch played 26 more minutes than the Mavs bench
    Our bench scored 7 more points than their bench.

Our team shot 2-9 in the paint... the Mavs shot 9-11 in the paint.
    The Mavs had 20 more FT attempts (usually means they were out of defensive position and we we'ren't forcing it inside on offense).

Delfino 1-5 2 T.O's... 2 PF's... 2 rebs... 2 assists
    McDyess 30 minutes.... 3-10 2blks... 2 T.O's... 3 PF's
    Arroyo 9 minutes... 4-5 3 assists
    Milicic 24 minutes... 3-7... 6+ blocks... 3 rebs... 3 PF's
    Dupree 3-3 5 rebs... 3 fouls
    Evans 2-5 0 assists... 2 PF's
    JMax 5-8 7 minutes... 10 pts...4 offensive rebs
    Acker 0-2 2 FT's... 1 assist... 2 PF's

It looks like the main bench contributions came from Arroyo, Dupree, Darko & Jmax.

Grade C- (have to win the net battle)

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Dallas game

Acker did ok. At least, considering the circumstances. He probably pushed things a bit too much, since nobody has apparently told him that there is no way he is not making the squad. A couple of should have been assists, both blown by Delfino, a knockaway leading to a steal for us, another knockaway. I am disappointed he only got to play the one quarter. From what I can see though, he is a pretty solid player who will just fine for us.

Now, if Acker does make the squad, he will be trying to pry minutes from Arroyo. That might be pretty darn hard if Arroyo keeps playing like he did tonight. Arroyo scored 8 in short minutes, ending up in getting two techs and thrown out of the game. Arroyo got inside for a couple of scores and hit a couple of outside shots. He looks more confident out there each game.

Dupree looked pretty good. Certainly showed he can hit outside shots tonight. And played good enough D. The guy he wants to take minutes from, Evans, hit some shots though himself. But other than those shots, Evans did not do much tonight. Personally, I don't like either of these players a whole lot. If either had solid guard skills, they would really help us, but they don't.

The most impressive guy out there tonight? Well, a tie. Six blocks by Darko certainly puts him right up there. But Maxiell, in virtually no time at all scored 10 points, got a block and a few rebounds too. Wait until he gets comfortable out there. Dyess played a ton tonight. Why? Well, I guess he needs the conditioning. But man can I ever see Max go after his mintutes. And anybody else in his way. Still want to see him at small forward.

Ben sure looks good out there going up for rebounds. Tay took no outside shots or almost none. Rip got 18 on solid shooting. CB is still hitting threes. Sheed played little. Carlos Delfino did nothing you could really point at other than hit a triple, but note he was out there helping with the ball handling as our 2nd unit was doing very well in the 2nd quarter.

Amir Johnson and Dale Davis did not play. Supposedly, Dale Davis was going to get some minutes, which makes me wonder even more why Dyess got all that work. Anyway, I believe Maxiell should be our backup small forward, not Dupree nor Evans. And Delfino should be the backup shooting guard, as he can shoot, and he can help with the ball handling. After, Maxiell, I'd take Amir Johnson as the backup small forward. Sorry Evans fans, a guy who can't help with the ball handling is not a guy I want to see as a regular part of the rotation. But I do know this is only Evans' 2nd full year in the NBA. Maybe he can learn yet.

Dupree played a lot tonight, and overall showed he should be on the team. But not at Acker's expense because we need a spare guard. And certainly not Evans either as Evans can flat out shoot the ball. So I still say its either cut Dupree, which I can't see after tonight, or let Hunter go.

With all this going about the last roster spot, none of the guys involved would make it on either my starters or 2nd unit. Starters: CB, Rip, Tay, Ben, Shee. 2nd unit Arroyo, Delfino, Maxiell, Dyess, Darko. Acker provides depth at point and shooting guard. Evans adds depth at shooting guard and small forward. Dale Davis adds depth at big guy. Dupree? Well, to me, he would just be getting minutes I would rather see used to develop Amir Johnson.</B></B></B>

8. puertoricanballer

I agree. On the other hand, when you're mad and out of control, it's the coach job to pull you out of the game until you cool down. Not blaming on Flip for CA's mistakes, but a person out of himself need a rational person to make him come back to his senses. I love his fire, though. Besides is a preseason game....

9. max

max All-Star

Talking about me?

Hey if it fires him up then perhaps I should slam him before every game. I am taking about his play not the 2 techs. That was a cheap shot by Dirk so I don't blame him for retaliating.

10. max

max All-Star

Lee/Acker

Also its a lot tougher being called up to run the show like Acker had to. Its different when you have to set the tempo and not just be called to blend into it.

We need a combo guard a lot more than another backup for Prince/Rip and that will factor in.

Lets see what Acker has tomorrow. Maybe he will have another 13 point/ 9 assist game.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Maxiell tonight

I forgot, he launched one of those step backs of his. And it went in, as a whole lot of them in the preseason. They guy flat out is going to have to be double and triple teamed to stop him from scoring. Of course, the coach could stop him from scoring by not playing the guy. I can't wait until the day Flip gets it right and puts Maxiell in at small forward. Of course, right now he is evaluating Dupree. But I want to see Maxiell play now. Maybe they can make them play a doulbe header. Stop the bus.

12. max

max All-Star

If you missed it

1st Re-broadcast starting now on WB20.

13. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Lee, does JMax have the footspeed to play small forward at his current weight? Or would it be more of a situational position based on the type of opponent? I have not had much of a chance to see him move on the floor so I just can't make that judgement yet... Knowing how much Flip likes the "O", Maxiell may play himself into a role if he can stay in front of his man on D.

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yep, all the talk about lack of height should slow down soon enough.
    JMax= beast

15. max

max All-Star

Maxiel

One pleasent surprise - he has a nice mid-range jumper. Tempting to think of him as another Corliss but he has nice range for a big guy.

16. puertoricanballer

Max

Yes. in fact I was talking about you. When you talked about his game you "forgot" to mention the limiting factors of last season: came at the middle of the season to a whole new system ander a respected coach that put him on a leash and benched him to brake him down.

Perhaps you should slam him here too. Why don't you open a trend called " My daily slam on the backup PG"? It might earn 5 stars...

17. max

max All-Star

We will see

Its only 8 mins worth of play. I am still far from convinced that Arroyo is up to the task but we will see. Played kind of crappy in that Miami game.

You are right he did have a hard time comming from one coach that was on his %%% to another.

I am want him to work out. Thats not my intention to hope a Piston player fails. It is getting to that time where he has to start producing on a regular basis. 4mil/yr for a backup guard. For that I do expect a lot.

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Tally, I know this question was addressed to Lee... but I'd like to pipe in on this good question.

I'm not ready to endorse the foot speed just yet... then again it's better than Corliss's.
    When we first drafted Jmax Joe said "we see him as a PF"... that was kinda dissapointing to hear... and I haven't seen them back down on this stance yet (unless he played some SF tonight).

It only makes sense against some of the big/strong SF's to match their physical play.

I wish a beat writer would ask those intellegent questions to Flip.

19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Tonight's game=random thoughts

Several things really popped out tonight. Of course, the way Arroyo played before being tossed. PRBaller, in fairness, Flip did not have time to pull CA. The things happened too quickly and was all over in a few seconds. There was no warning.

Ron Dupree deserves to be a Piston. He, dos Carlos, JMax and Evans all played well. If he has to go to make room for Acker, I would really hate that. I think it is time to let Lindsay go if they insist on keeping Acker. I have been a LH fan for years, when he came up with Alan Houston. But even then, he was supposed to be the 1 and Alan the 2. It really did not work then because LH was not a 1.

For me, of course, Darko's 6 blocks were way too low. He got at least one more when someone got called for a foul on the play and two of the three he made but got called for a foul on could have easily not been called fouls. I think when he gets some repect in this league, they will cease to be called fouls. I do hope he will get a little more balance in his game. I would sacrifice a couple of blocks for a couple more rebounds and points. He is not committing as many fouls and had a couple of more assists lost due to missed shots by the recipient.

I am not sitting here with my adding machine but I do not see how the bench lost ground to the Dallas bench. In the first half, they ran a two point lead up to thirteen at halftime. After, they took over with a pretty close game and lost it by six. I don't understand that big deficit that was reported by ESPN.

In the excitement of talking about the bench, I realize that the starters played pretty well, too. Rip had a very high percentage and although we did not have but 20 assists for the game, it looked like we were playing together pretty well.

I think the Dallas management maybe wanted the win more because they had Dirk in there against our third stringers till pretty near the end of the game. And Chauncey and Sheed were horsing around during a halftme interview. During the season, I can't imagine them doing that. They are way too focused.

I surely would rather have won tonight, but I saw many good things.

20. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Thanks Merc. It just seems that, in pictures anyway, JMax may be carrying his extra college 20 lbs around and with the conditioning that comes with being a pro he could shed some weight. At 235-240, he might be able to extend his ability to play sf/pf depending on mathcups. Just a thought because it really does look like he has NBA talent and we should try to find a role for the young man. Although Flip probably still has so much on his plate right now that molding this rook into something is still a ways down on his "To-do" list.