Preseason Pistons vs Bucks ~ Oct 13th

Discussion in 'Preseason 2005/6' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I want Arroyo to succeed, but so far I haven't seen sharp decision making from his end. We all know he dribbles too much. He forces passes that aren't there. Frankly, he looks out of control much of the time. And while he might be a fun playmaker during the regular season, he's one of the last people I want running our team during the playoffs. But we'll wait and see what his time with Flip will do.

ps. the fieldgoals tonight are surprising, but they mean little unless he proves that he can do it regularly.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A trend I have noticed with Arroyo. He either scores or puts up assists. It's not that often that he does both. Anyway, it's not the LB paradigm of PG as floor leader, so I suppose that any positive offensive contribution validates the floor time.

I want Arroyo to succeed. I truly believe he is the key to success for the second unit.

Just checking out the live box score, it really looks like Rip is marginalized in this offense. Can anyone watching the game verify that?
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Game

I'm listening to it and the youngsters played well it sounds like from Blaha's exclamations. Darko nearly had a double double. I think that's great. Sounds like he altered some shots, too, as well as blocking some. Glad the arrest didn't bother him. Sounds like he just shook it off. Anyone see Maxiel's power jam? Blaha was yelling pretty loud.
  4. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Microwave and Rip

Do you think that Flip hasn't yet put in all the plays that feature Rip? He may be an option in many plays but not the focus of the ones they've installed so far. I'm not worried.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

For what it's worth, I know that a couple of fantasy league "experts" were saying to stay away from Rip or draft him lower than normal because he was the Piston who was going to have his production significantly reduced in Flip's offense. Again, that was just a couple of fantasy writers.

Grrrr. Why does nba.com keep repeating "the game you are tuning in to has not yet started"???? I want to hear this thing!
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Rip wasn't marginalized, he was missing good shots. They're shots more in the middle of the court now, but he'll start making them.

23-21 Detroit after 1, 44-39 Milwaukee after 2, 67-64 Pistons after 3 and 95-88 at the end. Story of the game was that the Bucks were too small to deal with both Ben and Sheed playing at near-peak levels. Story within the story was a flat game for Bogut, who had something like 3 points, 4 boards and a couple nice assists. Ben was, shall we say, extremely focused on Mr. Bogut. Swatted one weak scoop to Belleville and intimidated several others, then grumbled when the rookie got bailed with a few FTs.

Darko started tight but outplayed his Croatian counterpart with 10 pts, 9 boards and 4-5 shooting in just 14 minutes. Showed much stronger on the boards, getting a great offensive rebound and 3-point play in the fourth before giving way to Glynniadakis, who ran around and screened with little effect.

Starters were fine in quarter 1 and gave way to the bench, which laid a big fat 16-point egg in the second. Arroyo shot well but doesn't grasp the fact that in this offense, good things happen in the middle of the court -- dribbling to the baseline or playing 2-man ball on the wing just results in things getting jammed up. He did a poor job orchestrating. Quick reversals to the high post, then cut to the hoop from the wings WITHOUT the ball ... that's how it's supposed to work. Carlos disappointed with that and his terrible defense on Charlie Bell, who beat him off the dribble frequently. Looks like CBell will be in the league a while.

Ben and Sheed were great. Rip did some nice things, missed some makeable shots and tried to be a passer with deadly results to fans courtside. Tay again played a low-key game, not shooting very well.

After the terrible 2nd unit offense (10 TOs by half) left them in the hole due to a 14-7 fast break disadvantage, the starters came out flat and gave up a couple of quick buckets before a 12-0 run highlighted by a trio of 3s from Billups ... one after a miraculous save by Ben, who was really feeling his oats. Then the starters got a little bored but were too big and aggressive to give up the lead against a Bucks team without Michael Redd. Evans came out playing like the rookie Richard Jefferson, missing a lot of outside shots but releasing like crazy and leaving the pack behind for breakaway dunks. He's got some jets.

All three rookies played. Maxiell could always be found by looking for debris and bodies on the floor. He got a foul within a few seconds of entry late in the 2nd quarter, knocked his first guy down 40 seconds after that, and then spent a lot of time banging into people. He was intimidating a few people, and ended up with some tough boards and 7 points (including one thunderous jam). Watching him bang with Brandon Hunter was pretty scary.

Amir J. came in five minutes into the fourth and got a foul a few seconds later ... followed, surprisingly, by a great offensive rebound and pretty reverse layup. Then Acker, who'd come in a couple of minutes later, stole the ball and gave it to Amir for an UGLY top of the key jumper that somehow leaked into the basket. Great leaper, nice body control, awful shooting release.

Acker didn't shoot much, but handled the ball competently. All in all, not an inspiring game but a win's a win.
  7. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Carlos Arroyo = 21 minutes / 0 assists.

Alex Acker = 6 minutes / 3 assists.

Maybe that's something, maybe that's nothing. Worth mentioning anyway.
  8. roscoe36

Thanks for the recap LanierFan. It is truly appreciated.

Post #2 in this thread also has post game info.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL! That's funny :laugh:

(except that sounds like Rodney White too...shooting people and puking).
  10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Maxiell won't be the one losing his lunch after a collision, I can tell you that. He reminds me of one of those college football players who joins the basketball team when the roster's short. Instead of finding space, they find guys to run into. Job gets done, but it's not exactly the sport you're expecting.

Bogut didn't look awful, but I believe they held him without a field goal. He was tight. Showed pretty good quickness and some nastiness, clutching on Darko's jersey a fair amount. Maybe that's a little Croat-Serb race hatred, I don't know. I would have liked to see Darko post him some, but only Delfino really seems to feed Darko the ball in his good spots. Arroyo usually whips it really hard while running in a different direction, and it's not classic postup material.
  11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

PS: Todd Day jacked it up the moment anyone even FAKED a pass in his direction. No conscience whatsoever. He got a couple of baskets and a near-accidental assist ... but he ain't shooting his way back into the league with that kind of selfishness.
  12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Am I missing something?

Both of the games so far were broadcast live on Fox Sports out of Detroit. Seems like quite a few are not able to get the games, but I am wondering where they live if they cannot get Fox Sports. They are channel 31 on Charter Cable in our mid-Michigan area.

Hope you guys do not miss many more. They are playing well so far and will only get better.
  13. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

with regards to Rip's offense, Flip said himself in an interview that he hasn't really called plays for the guards yet. i'm not too worried about Rip and Chauncey getting their points. to me, it looks like Flip's focusing on the bigs now and knowing full well the guards can score when they want to:

14. roscoe36

I only get FSN games if the Canadian networks pick them up via NBATV.

Unfortunately, preseason coverage is sporadic at best.
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Can't expect the Canadian networks to disrupt all those groovy Bruno Gerussi "Celebrity Chefs" marathons for basketball. Maybe they'll have some time later in the preseason after the big Mister Dressup retrospective for the sweeps period.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Darth buddy, anyone that dedicated to following the team should seriously consider league pass.... it's Piston nirvana... break down and fork out the $169 (spread out)... I hate to see a fellow out of town Pistonite suffer.

Wouldn't be too hard on Arroyo... he had a real nice first half.... the scoring was a pleasant sight.

Jmax just gets it done... it's ugly but effective... I'll take that over an overhyped kid (fill in your own name) that struggles to get it done.

I do not want to see JMax wasting on the bench... he's ready to play right now.

Amir, enjoy your stay in Fayetteville... sorry Lee

What's with Chauncey not driving inside?

Flip did say he had no plays lined up for his guards yet.

I'm starting to appreciate Flips offense... al lot of movement
    TheLow don't be a Flip hater... most of us appreciate what LB accomplished (Darko still praises him)... You know I'm a big LB supporter... but I do believe it was time for a change... we can't assume that Larry would have continued to get the most out of this team.... I think there's a short window for extremely demanding coaches to make a positive impact on their team before they start to tune them out.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks

Didn't get to watch the game, but I did get to read the post game posts. The Lanier description of JMax has me fired up. He was a beast with the Bearcats, and (hopefully) will be a beast in the NBA. I hope they find some room and play him often. I would like to see him ready to put in a few minutes against Artest this season. I could see Ron Ron gettin real frustrated with a guy he can't push around.
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i like micheal.....

...(if u havent seen The New "longest Yard" u dont know what i mean....all in all , we played good, BUT our three rookies are very impressive!!very very impressive!:eek:
  19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

update on players

I knew Arroyo could shoot. But I have not seen that he can be the point guard that we need. Delfino can pass well but I thought he was suppose to be a shooter? Darko can play but he is not a traditional post player (as many have cited) and not sure he can handle a Shaq even for a short spell. Maxiel is awesome but where does he play? He is too short for many power forwards. Is he quick enough for small forward? Can he guard Artest? The other rookies will not be in the rotation. How about that little west-coast offense when Chauncey lit it up? Why jam it in, set it up when you got a Chauncey wide open? Bam. That three point sequence will have any team reeling in a game.
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Mercury on Larry

I agree. Larry had his run with the time. That Chauncey fire power would have been useful last year. All Flip had to do was give him the green light. It is a different philosophy about offense in this three point era.